Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 12:38   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Seawater Pro Watermaker review. Part 1.

I'm just in the final stages of completion of a Watermaker Pro, 2 membrane, 40gph (ish), and thought some might want to know what I have found so far.

Watermaker selection is a tough choice, and your decision will be based on a plethora of criteria which are frequently personal. A decision often on par with religious preferences, or politics.

Here were mine:
I wanted 40ish gph, which means I needed 2 membrane system.
When components need replacing, I wanted to go to Amazon, and get what I need at the speed of overnight, or two day at least.
I wanted to install it myself because I'm retired and need exercise, and and active mind, and lots of frustration. Also I then know how everything works, can debug myself, and repair.
I didn't care much about power, thinking what I will do is run the generator for an hour, make 40 gallons and some cold air when hot out, and everyone is happy. I'm not getting solar (at least for now) nor giant alternators. I'm betting it all on the generator.

I wanted a place where I knew I could get rapid answers and help with problems, and Mike has a great reputation for that, a reputation I can verify.
I did also discuss with Cruiser RO water, and did not get nearly the warm cozy feeling of interactions, and I did look into the other main players, but finally decided Watermaker Pro was the way to go.

Please note, that if you want energy efficiency, or have power limitation, you may very reasonably go a different route, and I understand that.
But for me, this seemed like the path.

The purchase, shipping, unpacking, inventory, and initial phases all went brilliantly. I was very pleased with the entire process, which did require lots of comforting emails with Mike et al.

I had decided on the 110v model, since I'm already betting it all on the generator, and running 12V (or even 24V) require some hefty wires, especially when 30' or more from batteries to watermaker.
I do have a 2000W inverter, which should be able to run it, in theory.
I'll report when I know.

I have a Lagoon 42, and spent quite a while figuring out the ideal (or perhaps least poor) place to install it, given my two very bad knees and other old guy maladies. I also pondered endlessly the various connections to the various watermaker, where I could pick them off from, and how to route them.
Having a cat perhaps makes this part of the job simpler, as there are many nooks and crannies and large spaces to tuck it away in.

I finally decided on the forward compartment in the starboard hull, which is cavernous. (A small cavern, perhaps 7' long 4'wide down to 1' wide, and 4' tall.) Beneath that is another smaller crawl space useful for routing water/power/etc.
I was worried about routing of the different functions, until I crawled into the lower section of the compartment, and drilled a 2.5” hole in a bulkhead which leads under the floor of the owner's cabin head, right to the hallway in the owner's hull.

Then, always eager to do my part supporting Amazon, I purchased and endoscope with is 16' long, and connects with my phone.
I managed to run a traveler line under the floor with the indispensable new endo-toy, and I knew then that it would all work out.

End of part 1.

I'll be adding more soon in regards to the process, and discuss problems with the unit and the routing. Also a little more about my skill level, and how the install went.

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }

manisland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawater Pro, water, watermaker