Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 14:38   #1

Boat: Robertson and Caine Leopard 40
Seafrost replacement

Am removing my 13 year old Seafrost system (with cold plates)...compressor running constantly and temp not satisfactory (even after recharging freon). I plan to mount the new compressor behind power panels on my Leopard 40...directly above fridge/freezer. Factory setup has compressor under aft bunk and a 15 foot run of copper tubing and wiring to the fridge/freezer.

Any suggestion on good value replacement compressor/cold plate system??
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 15:28   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Seafrost replacement

redo your box's insulation
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 15:29   #3
cruiser

Cleave Horton still makes great stuff, may be able to re-use parts.
Old 01-12-2018, 15:33   #4
cruiser

TXV systems are the hotness

John Tully, ColdEh Marine Refrigeration http://www.coldeh.com new boy on the block, but does evaporator not cold plates.

_______
Rich Boren, aka Cruise RO out of CA, CoolBlue is their brand, uses both

genuinely stellar tech support.
Rich@cruiserowater.com
cell 619-609-3432
Old 01-12-2018, 17:41   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have a holding plate system with a seafrost condenser. The condenser compressor has burned out twice and the condenser coil sprung a leak causing salt water to get in the evaporator once.

I'm pulling it all out and putting in a standard refrigerator. I can easily operate it off my battery bank so why not. I can get a real ice maker also which will be a huge benefit. I don't know if you have the room but would suggest you consider just replacing the whole thing.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:09   #6

Boat: Robertson and Caine Leopard 40

That is an option we've been researching, too. I just reviewed your boat page (nice boat btw!), but it sill lists Seafrost as your fridge. What standard brand/model did you replace it with? Appreciate the help.
gbillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:34   #7

I haven't replaced it yet. The choices are limited in Freeport in the Bahamas so I'm working with the largest appliance supplier to find - specifically - a counter depth 30" wide french door refrigerator without a dispenser in the door but with an automatic ice maker. We can always turn off the ice maker if it ends up drawing too much power. So my max dimensions are 30" deep, 36" wide, and 72" high. I want to leave some room around the unit for ventilation. The yard I'm in (Bradford Marine) is going to do the demo and install as this is a fairly big job to remove and replace. They are going to make a stainless steel drop down bar that will go across both upper doors and the freezer section to insure the doors don't come open when in heavy seas.

There is a fairly large thread on CF about installing a household unit and after reading it that pretty much made up my mind. Better insulation and efficiency and way better use of the internal space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2173413_19.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	181843  
Old 28-12-2018, 12:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

We just had a client with almost the same boat as yours put three of our systems in, replacing his water cooled ones . No more filters no more noise .

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: MIRELOS

Regards John
www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 07:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbillman View Post
That is an option we've been researching, too. I just reviewed your boat page (nice boat btw!), but it sill lists Seafrost as your fridge. What standard brand/model did you replace it with? Appreciate the help.
I did make a decision on a refrigerator. I bought this one from Sears for $800 with free delivery. They delivered it to the shipping company in Ft. Lauderdale and from there it was shipped to Freeport. It cost $200 for that. There are no taxes for boat repair parts so essentially I got the refrigerator for $1000.

https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-A...or/FFBN1721TV/

The yard has estimated $1000 to install, I'm guessing it will be closer to $1500. Also, I bought a dedicated inverter (2000w) for the refrigerator which added another $500 onto the install.

So in total I'd guess that this will cost $3000 to put in professionally. Compare that to the price of a new Seafrost compressor ($1000) and shipping to Freeport. Installation and refrigerant could easily cost $1000 so I'm probably only spending $500 more for this unit. And, you end up with a freezer that actually deep freezes.
Old 29-12-2018, 10:54   #10
cruiser

I didn't know Sears even still existed?

Tags
men