Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 19:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Rope cutting tool

Does anyone have recommendations for a Butane rope cutting tool? I have tried a couple but they weren't good enough.

The first was a $40 soldering kit with hot knife attachment and it was OK for small diameter rope, but it just did not get hot enough, so cutting larger rope was tedious. I will keep it for a soldering iron. Then Aldi came out with one that looked more powerful so I bought that. It worked well enough but one time I let it get too hot. The tip bent like soft spaghetti, then broke when I tried to straighten it. If I could buy a replacement tip, or get another kit from Aldi I could live with that (and take more care using it), but neither are available.

So now I am looking at what I hope will be a more robust one. Anyone use the Portasol Super Pro 125?

Soldering Kits & Irons, Super Pro 125 Kit. Soldering Irons, Plastic Welding tools, Desoldering tools, Gas Torches. Portasol - Professional Technician and Service Repair Tool Specilists. Heat Shrinking tools, plumbind tools , soldering irons, Ireland

Any other suggestions?
Old 31-08-2013, 00:30   #2

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Re: Rope cutting tool

Just replaced my portasol professional, it wore out( wouldn't light) after about ten years. Most used tips are the hot knife and the hot air for doing heat shrink. No complaints, it is a nice tool. Do keep the blade clean on the hotknife, wipe it off while the residue is still liquid. It makes for a neater edge when cutting fabrics.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21   #3

Thanks Sailormanxt

So, one positive comment on the Portasol. What do others use when you want something more portable than mains powered?
Old 28-09-2013, 03:15   #4

Boat: Allied 39
This may sound crazy but we have been using a tool we purchased at Sears a decade ago. It is a snipper that uses a razor blade. The blades can be easily changed out when dull. We bought a bunch of blades at the time of purchase.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-edge-...1&blockType=G1

Ours is a much older version and looks a bit different but all in all very close. It cuts thru 3/4" line like butter. We first tape the line with masking tape, cut thru the middle of tape then using a small butane torch melt the end. Finally pulling off the remaining tape.

We have been very pleased with the tool and also use it for cutting nonwire hose

Good luck with your choice.

Chuck
Jacaranda
Ecuador
Old 28-09-2013, 06:19   #5

Thanks Chouliha

I finished up buying the Portasol Super Pro. I haven't tried it on rope yet, but it definitely seems more robust than the the other two torches I tried. I got quite a good deal on eBay.

The tool you use looks interesting for various uses. I will have a look locally if there is something similar.

Tags
rope