Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 13:59   #61

Boat: 1985 Tartan 40
Re: Rolly Tasker Sails

I'm in this dilemma now...I need new sails and a local quote is 4750 for both and National just quoted me 3250 for both. Same sail cloth, same fully battened, 2 reef point and sunbrella UV protection....oh and that price includes shipping.

It is difficult. I want to give my business locally, but $1500 clams...? I'm trying to just suck it up and say, I'm paying american wages.... It is tough to swallow though...

I could get a new composting toilet with that money.

Oh I just got a Viking 33 and it needs some things....

Danny
sloopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 16:11   #62

Boat: 2007 Privilege 495

Hi All,

We had a new 5 batten mainsail made by Rolly Tasker in Phuket last November. We have an uncommon track system, and our hardware was lost by previous owner when getting cleaned. Mike decided to wait for us to hand carry Facnor cars and slides from the U.S., and he also requested our battens to facilitate the sail design.

I thought the sail shape was great, although we will have some tweaks made when we return to Thailand. The quality on the sail seems good, maybe slightly over cut. Even with the batten present one of our battens does not stay in, so we will have him replace the batten. Waiting around Phuket for a mainsail when we wanted to be cruising was a bit of an issue, but the techs worked hard to complete it. The designer is young, but not impossible to communicate with in english.

There is a question of overall length. Great now, but with a little stretch will probably have to have recut.

The hardware, material, and workmanship is good. They are not as high-tech as some of the new sail lofts, but much cheaper. Incidences quoted 12,000 euro, Rolly did it for around 5,000 U.S.

Our lazy jack bag was a different story. It was poorly designed and ripped in two weeks. We had it redesigned and repaired in Langkawi.

Cheers,

Cynthia
CynthiaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 19:11   #63

Boat: Seafarer 38
Our tasker sails are still great. I have no problems with either the main or genny and we have about 1000 miles on them now (bouncing down the coast of Baja and up to La Paz). The cars I ordered are not great on the main, but that was my fault as I asked for them. The low friction cars on the main have a big stack height. Overall I couldn't be happier with my genoa though. In the end I expected to need a better slide system with the full battens. I liked working with Sail Warehouse and would do so again. Best of luck!
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 19:36   #64

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I went through National and got a suit of sails for my old Macgregor 23 cutter trailer sailer some years ago. I had lots of things to add like 3 reefs in the main and 2 reefs in the staysail. The fit was as good as the price and the quality was up there. I'd use them again as they follow instructions very well. The money saved went into a asymmetric. chute. I'll let them quote on a mainsail for the Nicol when the time comes. I've actually had a lot of fun buying used for the tri and recutting and modifying-to the point of buying an old heavy duty machine.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 23:08   #65
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just thought I'd mention... we ordered Rolly Tasker sails for the first yacht we rebuilt - about ten years ago now. The boat has changed owners twice since then, done a few jaunties down to Bahrain, been through a storm with waves up between the spreaders, been hit by lightning and raced in the intense sun of Kuwait.... and the sails are still fine.

Except for the No1 light, which some idiot blew out by using in windspeeds over 20 knots...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 00:30   #66

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
We have a new main, 2x spinakers and a big screecher all made there and thy all work great on our 44 ft crusing cat.
Got the main this year and its great quality.
Big question ...what was the cost? What material?? One boat im very interested in will need an kite and code zero so i'm interested.... Cheers
Old 25-03-2012, 02:07   #67

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
We got a new square top main made for our 440 in a cruising Dacron cloth.
$6500 usd delivered to Melbourne aust with our batten cars used which we mailed over there.
The other sails were on board when we bought it.
The best two is the screecher which on a furler works great from about 60 deg.
The other being the asymmetrical in a sock which I can use by myself once I got some practise.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 02:17   #68

Boat: Lagoon 440

One 440 we are looking at has a roller furling (boom) main, i like the boat but i want to investigate if the sail is cut very flat to accomodate the furler.
All will be revealed that's handy to know a replacement price prior to our viewing. Thanks.....
Old 24-04-2012, 20:00   #69

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter

I bought a National / Tasker RF genoa 3 years ago. I priced out the sail at at least many lofts both online and local (San Francisco). National was about 60% lower than any local loft, and had very helpful sales staff. After 8,000 miles it still looks great the only damage is from chafe. I use the sail hard sailing shorthanded and it has survived a lot of trade wind slatting and sailing partially furled to windward in very heavy air.

Factory seconds?

I think the claim that Tasker is selling a lot of factory second sailcloth very doubtful at best. Has anybody here seen a sail with that indicates this is true? Secondly, that operation is huge, and there is just not that much defective material available on the market to supply them. If a sailcloth manufacturer (and there are very few of those) rolled that much defective product out the door they would be in with Chrysler long ago.

I plan to visit the loft in Thailand in December and get a new a-kite made to fit.
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 04:30   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svloki View Post

Factory seconds?

I think the claim that Tasker is selling a lot of factory second sailcloth very doubtful at best. Has anybody here seen a sail with that indicates this is true? Secondly, that operation is huge, and there is just not that much defective material available on the market to supply them. If a sailcloth manufacturer (and there are very few of those) rolled that much defective product out the door they would be in with Chrysler long ago.

I plan to visit the loft in Thailand in December and get a new a-kite made to fit.
I actually spoke with Dirk, months ago, after the same individual infected another forum, for which I moderate, with this "information".

The quote below is from Dirk at National Sail Supply regarding Rolly Tasker sails and "seconds". If my memory serves me correctly he used to the be Rolly's general manager or assistant GM in the Phuket loft so my guess is he does know a bit about Rolly's business.

"Rolly does not use seconds. He has no reason to. As one of the largest sail loft in the world he purchases a higher volume of sailcloth than most (if not all) other sailmakers, which allows him to leverage a lower cost per yard than most (if not all) other sailmakers. THAT is how he keeps cloth cost down, not by buying seconds (the claim is ludicrous)."
Old 25-04-2012, 04:41   #71

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Sails are labour intensive, lower labour costs = lower sail prices.
I have 4 of thier sails are they are great.
No problems,no issues.
In some Asian countries a months wages for middle class is $150 usd.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:49   #72

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail

I actually spoke with Dirk, months ago, after the same individual infected another forum, for which I moderate, with this "information".

The quote below is from Dirk at National Sail Supply regarding Rolly Tasker sails and "seconds". If my memory serves me correctly he used to the be Rolly's general manager or assistant GM in the Phuket loft so my guess is he does know a bit about Rolly's business.

"Rolly does not use seconds. He has no reason to. As one of the largest sail loft in the world he purchases a higher volume of sailcloth than most (if not all) other sailmakers, which allows him to leverage a lower cost per yard than most (if not all) other sailmakers. THAT is how he keeps cloth cost down, not by buying seconds (the claim is ludicrous)."
I feel the same way. There are NO visible deficiencies in my sails. We have now sailed the set from San Diego to Huatulco MX with a bit of time in the SOC, and should be in El Salvador in a few days and the sails have been great. I haven't met anyone who owns a set that hasn't been happy. We got a higher grade cloth with more features for a better price, and likely wouldn't have a great set of new sails without Tasker. We are very happy with our sail experience.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 08:45   #73

Boat: Catalina 270LE

My Catalina 270 came with a nice fresh set of sails from Rolly Tasker. There is no issue that I can see with them. I recently ordered a 170 drifter with a sock from Dirk at Natioal, and it should be here in a week or so.

I've read the disgruntled posts, and what I don't read is how much effort there has been to rectify issues. If anything ever arrived in less that expected condition, it's really up to the consumer to address it. Posts like these are so easy to put up, but they will never tell the whole story. Just like the cellphone ad - it has to be true - I read it on the Internet.
Meriachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:12   #74

Boat: Hylas 49
I bought a RF gennie from Dirk. It was and is perfect. Wonder who is behind the negative posts.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:42   #75

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

So what is the difference of buying a sail from National or from Taskers in Phuket.
My Wife is Thai and from Phuket? So Language is no problem.

He just died recently, he used to live next door to the loft!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote