Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 12:10   #1

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Rescue Stick

OK - my first review

I recently purchased the Rescue Stick from Mustang. Rescue Stick&#153 - Throwable Emergency Rescue Inflatable :: Mustang Survival

I understand that it is not CG approved, but I still think it is a good item to have onboard. I purchased it at Defender for about $100

Overall I like the concept. The packaging actually is a storage case for the device. My wife and I both feel that we are more accurate and can throw it farther than a traditonal cusion type throwable.

It inflates to provide about 30 pds of floation. It is well made, with welded seems. The attachements points that are built into it seem that they would not hold up to any serious pull on them, and it is an area that could be improved. I would not count on them to help raise a person from the water like the lifesling.

Since it lacks a tether, the downside is that if you do not get it near the victim, it will blow away in any amount of wind. You will notice that in the demo video the conditions are windless. Once this thing inflates, it will take off like a kiddie toy on a windy day. With that in mind I recommend throwing practicing throws and accounting for wind when you throw.

We also carry a lifesling and a throwbag, and since we sail a multihull that has very little freeboard are always wearing inflatable lifevests with built in harnesses. This piece of safety gear seems to round out the above since it is throwable a decent distance.

Overall I would recommend buying one, but keep in mind the limitations.

Cheers,
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14   #2
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
I have been considering getting one to supplament the lifesling I have but the wind thing bothers me. Because I don't currently own one I wonder is you can make some sort of drouge and wrap it inside of the inflatable part. When the unit inflates it would drop the tether and drouge slowing down the movment of the the unit on the water?

Dave
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:41   #3

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Dave, I was thinking the same thing, but the issue I see is that it is rather tightly packed in order to get the product to be in a form that can be thrown easy.

cheers,

Tags
rescue