Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 10:05   #1

Reliability of NASA MARINE products

I'd like to know of other users of NASA MARINE products their experience of its reliability as mine is not a happy story.
On Friday 13th January at the boat show">London Boat Show I bought one of their Clipper Depth Sounders. This was destined to be used as a secondary sounder at the stern of my sailing yacht to give info on depth at the rudder. I sail in the Med & in some places mooring stern-to can be tricky as rubble reduces depth close to quays.

In May I opened the box & decided to power up the unit prior to installation as a hole needed cutting in the cockpit to mount the display. It didn't work, totally dead. By this time I was in Greece & I had to ship it back to the UK. The PCB was faulty but according to NASA "they are normally reliable units". This was changed & back it came. I tested it again & it was OK. I installed the system & it worked fine FOR 2 WEEKS! I returned it yet again & to their credit they promised a same day turnaround upon receipt. This time it was the power transformer that failed. How much more could go wrong?

The sting in the tail is that I had to pay return shipping of £26 for a second time. When I complained they pointed me to their "Limited Warranty" conditions. My point was that exceptional failure should have been met with an exceptional response. By the way, you only find out about the warrant provisions after purchase. The cost of shipping this thing back & forth has now cost in excess of 50% of the purchase price. A generous response would have brought praise.
Cormoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, marine, reliability