Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 09:21   #31

Re: Raymarine - Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
On the other hand we are in the Kindergarden of wireless development.
Remember: a wire I dont have can not break.
Ah the joys of wireless! When you have 3 boxes that insist creating their own wifi network and refuse to join another network. You end up with a tablet where you can choose which of the 2 boxes you can't see.

Marine Equipment manufacturers can only be trusted to always get networking wrong. They never get it right and when they think they're extra clever, it's even worse. It's as if you ask your window-cleaner to perform brain-surgery on you.

Not a good idea!
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:28   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

we are in the Kindergarden of wireless

On the other hand. I would not buy 2 other boxes that insist creating their own network. As I said, Kindergarden as I always wonder why I cannot join multiple networks. On the other hand Beware of this as it would require a complete reorganisation of all networks.... horrable.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:57   #33

Quote:
On the other hand. I would not buy 2 other boxes that insist creating their own network.
Once you know that this problem exists, you can actively start looking for indications of problems. But until then, the chance is high you get suckered in.

As you said: Horrible!
Old 11-05-2021, 10:50   #34
Marine Service Provider

Well, I am 62 and in 1985 I realized the potential of computers and started to learn configuring and programming. By now I am on linux an install and configure servers.

What I want to say is. If you do not know how to use technology you should not use it. So RTFM - read the f..ing Manual and if ou do not understand it, do not buy it.
Old 11-05-2021, 17:12   #35

Boat: Norseman 447

While it’s true that people SHOULD know how to operate the technology that they buy, I expect that’s really unrealistic. Remember all the VCRs that always said the time was 1200?

From years in the computer business, it’s not enough to just say RTFM. A lot of the documentation is simply awful. It’s often wrong, hasn’t been updated when the software was or is otherwise incomprehensible.

It’s certainly possible to write a decent manual, but how many with iPhones bothered to download the 200 page manual, much less read and understand it. That doesn’t keep the phone from being useful and effective.

Developers often write software without understanding the user or the application. On one big project, I told the developers that when we shipped the product, they were each going to spend a month answering the phones in tech support. I almost got lynched. But version 2 was a whole lot better than version1.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 20:31   #36
Marine Service Provider

Bycrick Most peple believe that pure logic can't fail. I am sure I worked through thousands of lines of code an params and the more I read the more I am sure that

all developers are childish and stoned.

Manuals: How many do not even have a release date?

The more it is essential that one knows the technique he is working with.
Old 11-05-2021, 21:44   #37

Quote:

As a developer, I'd like to say that I resemble that remark.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 23:46   #38

Quote:
As an ex-developer I resent that statement too. It's usually enough to be either childish or stoned. No need for both. And it's perfectly easy to produce crappy code when you have idiot software architects and product owners breathing down your neck wanting to add cloud and blockchain technology to the product which is a tank-sensor.
Old 12-05-2021, 00:11   #39
Marine Service Provider

I say Until 2000 computers had errors from then madness is overtaking the methods.

Why? Because the "thinking" developers were downgraded to "service departments" that can be kicked in their A.. at any time.

But folks, it simply does not matter. I think our masters did win all battles and are going to win the war due to "supervised thinking".

I am really, really proud of nature. What they did not mention is the fact that if one did win everything he will lose.

In fact we have to get rid of economics as it is and rearrange our minds.

Talking about ecological footprints:

What you have has a footprint - already
What you throw away creates a footprint
What you buy creates a footprint

If you repair as long as possible you minimize the footprint by >90%
And you reduce the income of our masters by at least 80%
And you create new old jobs for refurbishers.

btw. The E-Cars footprint is 1,5 x of a diesel.

If two people run along they do have the same CO2 output than a small eco-diesel.

CO2 Emissions (approx)
Traffic 19% wherof cars 9%
Woodworks 30%
Industry 30%
Energy ...

So far, telling us that our cars are the ultimative contaminators.
"supervised thinking"

OK - far off thread - I know
Old 12-05-2021, 00:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
One of the things that TICKS me off with Raymarine is that to upgrade the software in your unit you need to have a Raymarine MFD (Multi-function display, aka chart plotter etc. ) installed in your system to have the capability to do this.
This is the same for all other brands. Garmin, simrad etc.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:35   #41

Boat: Norseman 447

The update nonsense is even worse with Maretron. I have an old B&G Hydra 2000 system with a bad display. Since I’ve installed N2K for most everything else, there’s no need to replace the 20+ year old B&G, any N2K display will work. From other boats, I saw the new Maretron small display. Looks interesting. Does more than I need. Reasonable cost. But to update it, I have to install their network interface and have a Windows computer. So they just doubled the cost and complexity of installing their display. Given that you can put a USB interface in a $10 cell phone, leaving it out of a $500 nav display seems a bad design choice.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:44   #42

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
I say Until 2000 computers had errors from then madness is overtaking the methods.

Why? Because the "thinking" developers were downgraded to "service departments" that can be kicked in their A.. at any time.

But folks, it simply does not matter. I think our masters did win all battles and are going to win the war due to "supervised thinking".

I am really, really proud of nature. What they did not mention is the fact that if one did win everything he will lose.

In fact we have to get rid of economics as it is and rearrange our minds.

Talking about ecological footprints:

What you have has a footprint - already
What you throw away creates a footprint
What you buy creates a footprint

If you repair as long as possible you minimize the footprint by >90%
And you reduce the income of our masters by at least 80%
And you create new old jobs for refurbishers.

btw. The E-Cars footprint is 1,5 x of a diesel.

If two people run along they do have the same CO2 output than a small eco-diesel.

CO2 Emissions (approx)
Traffic 19% wherof cars 9%
Woodworks 30%
Industry 30%
Energy ...

So far, telling us that our cars are the ultimative contaminators.
"supervised thinking"

OK - far off thread - I know

WOW, You clearly got the good “stuff”
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:59   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Raymarine - Never again.

No sympathy with the buyers of 'automated sailing'...
Wait a few more years and you may be able to circumnavigate from your sun lounger..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:54   #44

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No sympathy with the buyers of 'automated sailing'...
Wait a few more years and you may be able to circumnavigate from your sun lounger..
Wow, I cannot wait! How cool would that be. Sitting on my sun lounger steering my drone yacht remotely. No need the worry about rough seas and getting seasick. I can use as much water as I want. No need to run a noisy generator in order to use the microwave. Hot water in abundance. Can sleep soundly knowing my lounger wont run aground or the anchor drag. Plenty handymen around to do maintenance to my lounger at any time, day or night. No pesky customs officials to deal with, or coast guard types trying to give me a hard time. I could just press pause and come back to pick up where I left of when I feel like continuing. No pirates to worry about....oooh, no wait, there are more pirates on land!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 07:49   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Raymarine - Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Wow, I cannot wait! How cool would that be. Sitting on my sun lounger steering my drone yacht remotely. No need the worry about rough seas and getting seasick. I can use as much water as I want. No need to run a noisy generator in order to use the microwave. Hot water in abundance. Can sleep soundly knowing my lounger wont run aground or the anchor drag. Plenty handymen around to do maintenance to my lounger at any time, day or night. No pesky customs officials to deal with, or coast guard types trying to give me a hard time. I could just press pause and come back to pick up where I left of when I feel like continuing. No pirates to worry about....oooh, no wait, there are more pirates on land!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of entering a destination then settling in the lounger till you arrive.. kinda like the driverless cars ambitions.
Or the inflatable vibrating doll so you don't have the hassle of going out to pull your desired gender..
Gratification with minimum input.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine