Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 21:50   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5
Raymarine EVO 100 or Garmin 40 Autopilot

Happy Nee Year everyone. I’m about to buy an autopilot for my Hunter Legend 35 foot sailboat (13k displacement ) Most of the internet buzz is about the Raymarine EVO 100, but seems like the Garmin reactor 40 is a competitor, though not much info on this site about it. Anybody had one? Or anyone try both?

Also I’m concerned about whether to get a wheel mount or direct linear rudder control. Seems the wheel mount would be much faster to install and cheaper, but the direct mount would work better and last longer and be less noisy. Though I’ve also read that the wheel mount benefits from a rudder sensor which means I (eventually) will have to attach something to the rudder connections anyway (albeit not nearly as big a job). Also the boat came with a Garmin chart plotter, so I would assume (though should probably check) that that could talk directly to the autopilot which would be nice.

I’m leaving towards the EVO m, . But that’s mostly because Ive found next to none user experience reviews of the Garmin. I know about the evo100 review thread, interesting stories there. Your sage advice is requested in this matter.
TheWindsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:56   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Raymarine EVO 100 or Garmin 40 Autopilot

An under deck autopilot properly fitted is superior to a wheel pilot. I have an EVO 100 wheel pilot because I have a Monitor wind vane as my primary means and the wheel pilot is for relatively calm water use under power only. Autopilots consume a lot of energy so ensure you have adequate reserves of power in your battery bank.
My EVO speaks to my Garmin chartplotter and I’m very satisfied with both units.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:03   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You're not really comparing apples with apples. The RM Evo 100 in wheel drive format is what $1500. How much is that Garmin once you add the drive unit to it?

The other question is were are you planning on going with this boat? coastal sailing or across oceans? We have the Evo 100 and at that price point its a great piece of kit for coastal sailing. I would be happy to do US to the Bahamas etc, but wouldn't use it for an ocean crossing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 18:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
An under deck autopilot properly fitted is superior to a wheel pilot. I have an EVO 100 wheel pilot because I have a Monitor wind vane as my primary means and the wheel pilot is for relatively calm water use under power only. Autopilots consume a lot of energy so ensure you have adequate reserves of power in your battery bank.
My EVO speaks to my Garmin chartplotter and I’m very satisfied with both units.
So u can get the Garmin to set the course on the EVO?
Old 01-01-2021, 18:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You're not really comparing apples with apples. The RM Evo 100 in wheel drive format is what $1500. How much is that Garmin once you add the drive unit to it?

The other question is were are you planning on going with this boat? coastal sailing or across oceans? We have the Evo 100 and at that price point its a great piece of kit for coastal sailing. I would be happy to do US to the Bahamas etc, but wouldn't use it for an ocean crossing.

Pete
Looks like another $1600 for the drive unit.. so yeah like 2k more plus installing it could become costly if I can’t figure it out myself. But I mean if the EVO is much worse than prob better not to waste the money on it so I can invest in the Garmin. Or maybe I should just get a wind vane?? Can u make the wind vane hold u in any direction (including into the wind?)
Old 01-01-2021, 18:26   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWindsurfer View Post
So u can get the Garmin to set the course on the EVO?
Yes. I have a Garmin GPS Map 7610 which allows me to go from waypoint to waypoint in a route or individually. Before it makes a turn to the next waypoint it asks me to confirm this is okay. I like this setup. I also have a Raymarine i50 Tridata which integrates with my Garmin plotter. I just like the Tridata since I had an older version for many years. The remainder of my instruments, a Garmin gWind coupled with an GMI 20 display, and a Garmin GMR Phantom Doppler radar are also networked to my multifunction display.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 19:10   #7

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
units.
Our setup and experience is similar on the larger of our two boats (11.5m). We use a Hydrovane when sailing and a 10 year old version of the Raymarine gear on the wheel. We only use the Raymarine autopilot when motoring and in big seas it can struggle and sometimes loses its way. The Hydrovane works very well on all points of sail and in big wind (so far 50kts max) and big seas.

On our smaller boat (36') we have only a Navico wheel mounted autopilot. It has a "wind sensor" but I have not yet used it enough to develop an opinion of its abilities. When motoring, it is not particularly reliable and I am looking at possible replacements if I can't sort out the problem which seems to be an intermittent failure.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:36   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

If you're considering a wheel pilot maybe also take a look at CPT Autopilot Inc.
Some of the members of our Freeport 36 owners group are recommending it.
dabizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:07   #9

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I have a Hunter 37C, tried a wheel pilot first, it worked fine in the ICW, hardly kept a course on the open ocean, and wore out toothed belts regularly.

I now have a RM EV400 with the electric actuator, no problems in sailing 1,200+ miles and keeps course very well and low current drain (solar panels keep up with it very nicely).

It also talks very nicely with a Garmin 74 series chart plotter via NMEA 2000.

Just my experiences,

Capt Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 14:14   #10

Boat: O'Day 34

We have a Garmin 40 slaved to a Garmin mfd. We love it. I used the original linear actuator which saved us $1,700
Not only more reliable than an above deck wheel pilot but much more aesthetically pleasing.
In the ICW and on open ocean crossings it has worked flawlessly And it was not a problem to install. I did it in one afternoon
Bill in JB
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 14:45   #11

Boat: Catalina 350

We have a Raymarine EV-100 on our Seaward 25 and a below deck Raymarine autopilot on our Catalina 350. The below deck unit is flawless, the wheel pilot is far from that, but it works pretty well, most times, on our 25, and a lot noisier.

If you're going to use it much, a below deck unit would make you a lot happier on that size boat. If I wanted a wheel pilot for your size boat, I'd look at the CPT, though I've never used one of those, I've just read the reviews.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 15:30   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

IMHO, if starting from the ground up, get the same brand fir MFD and autopilot. Can different brands work? Yes, they do so 9n my boat.

But to upgrade the firmware, it is easier if they are all the same.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 15:43   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I installed an EVO wheel pilot a few years ago, primarily b/c I have Raymarine instruments and the autopilot can follow the wind, etc. For coastal cruising, the wheelpilot should be fine. If you plan to live on the boat and sail to far off islands, maybe consider a below deck actuator. The main issue with the unit is with the belt drive either slipping or causing too much drag when not in use.

I too have heard many good things about the CPT units. They are more simple and I believe in KISS.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 16:54   #14

Quote:
Yes. I have a Garmin GPS Map 7610 which allows me to go from waypoint to waypoint in a route or individually. Before it makes a turn to the next waypoint it asks me to confirm this is okay. I like this setup. I also have a Raymarine i50 Tridata which integrates with my Garmin plotter. I just like the Tridata since I had an older version for many years. The remainder of my instruments, a Garmin gWind coupled with an GMI 20 display, and a Garmin GMR Phantom Doppler radar are also networked to my multifunction display.
Wow. I need to Google TRI data. Not familiar with that one
Old 02-01-2021, 17:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
I have a Hunter 37C, tried a wheel pilot first, it worked fine in the ICW, hardly kept a course on the open ocean, and wore out toothed belts regularly.

I now have a RM EV400 with the electric actuator, no problems in sailing 1,200+ miles and keeps course very well and low current drain (solar panels keep up with it very nicely).

It also talks very nicely with a Garmin 74 series chart plotter via NMEA 2000.

Just my experiences,

Capt Wayne
So u had an Ev100 first abd then switched to an ev400? How difficult or expensive to put in the rudder actuator?

Tags
autopilot, garmin, marine, raymarine