Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 07:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau - First 44.7 - Standart - 2004
Program or App to organize Boat, what do you suggest

Hello,

I'm a new member on the Cruisers Forum. I've been sailing around The Thames for about five and a half years, since 2014 I think with my 2004 Beneteau First 44.7. I am used to writing down all the things needed to manage my boat resources. I've used whiteboards also some free software that help organizing stuff, like Trello (a very handy one).

Some of my friends were telling me to use some sort of all in one software or app but to tell you the truth I am already used to whiteboards and piece of papers and it has gone good for me so far. Although I would not say no to some very handy piece of program that could really help me organizing my stuff.

I just wanted to know how this sounds to you guys. What do you think, is it better to keep doing the same or to try some of this programs. If you have suggestions, please tell me.

Thanks
Old 24-02-2020, 08:08   #2

Re: Program or App to organize Boat, what do you suggest

Whatever works I guess!

The advantage of digital solutions is they will back themselves up... the obvious disadvantage is a lot require the internet which you may well not have... and salt water is death to electronics so you maybe left on the lurch till you can get a replacement kit.

As an app developer and programmer I am pretty much reliant on pen and paper
fragglerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFNatic View Post
Hello,

I'm a new member on the Cruisers Forum. I've been sailing around The Thames for about five and a half years, since 2014 I think with my 2004 Beneteau First 44.7. I am used to writing down all the things needed to manage my boat resources. I've used whiteboards also some free software that help organizing stuff, like Trello (a very handy one).

Some of my friends were telling me to use some sort of all in one software or app but to tell you the truth I am already used to whiteboards and piece of papers and it has gone good for me so far. Although I would not say no to some very handy piece of program that could really help me organizing my stuff.

I just wanted to know how this sounds to you guys. What do you think, is it better to keep doing the same or to try some of this programs. If you have suggestions, please tell me.

Thanks

The best solution is the one that you'd be most likely to use.

I still keep one school-size spiral-bound notebook for all my boat-related stuff. It sits in my knapsack which is always with me when I am at the boat. Also handy for jotting down ideas when i am in transit, shopping, etc.

I also make use of my phone's camera and occasionally use some notepad app.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 08:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglerock View Post
Whatever works I guess!

The advantage of digital solutions is they will back themselves up... the obvious disadvantage is a lot require the internet which you may well not have... and salt water is death to electronics so you maybe left on the lurch till you can get a replacement kit.

As an app developer and programmer I am pretty much reliant on pen and paper
Yes, I'm on the same page as you my friend. Thanks a lot
Old 24-02-2020, 08:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The best solution is the one that you'd be most likely to use.

I still keep one school-size spiral-bound notebook for all my boat-related stuff. It sits in my knapsack which is always with me when I am at the boat. Also handy for jotting down ideas when i am in transit, shopping, etc.

I also make use of my phone's camera and occasionally use some notepad app.
I wish you could see my papers . But I don't complain, I'm used to it. Let's say you like to keep things simple, I like it too.

Thanks for sharing
Old 24-02-2020, 10:26   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Simply excel sheet and some basic knowledge of the formulas or get Dummies for excel book and you will be able to create master plans
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 10:27   #7

Boat: KP 46

I agree, spiral bound notebook.

However. I use an excel spreadsheet for my maintenance log. Different tabs/pages for each item Main engine, generator, FW systems, SW systems, deck etc. It is handy, runs on my NUC and laptop, easy to take a copy home. and easy to see what was done when and what needs to be done.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 10:46   #8

I use Microsoft One Note. It syncs and runs locally on my PC, Phone and iPad and I can access it from any browser if heaven forbid that I don't have one of those handy.
I use it for Maint logs, Trip Logs, Items needed, Pictures, reminders, etc.
henleyrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 11:14   #9

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I use Sortly (on iPhones) for inventories, OneNote (phones and laptop) and paper when appropriate (ship's log, maintenance records). The advantage of Sortly for inventories is that it is searchable, works when not connected to the internet and is easy to edit as supplies are used or topped up. Using a phone in a waterproof case avoids water damage which makes paper records vulnerable on a boat. But at the end of the day I will continue to use paper for some things.

The first mate uses Excel for supplies - keeping a running total of what is on board and what needs to be replaced the next time we are provisioning. We print a copy prior to a passage in order to avoid having to use the laptop in difficult conditions.
Old 24-02-2020, 12:36   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFNatic View Post
Hello,

Thanks
I agree that whatever works for you is best but perhaps there are other ideas you have not considered that would work better.

I keep a hand written log with an entry for EVERY visit to the boat with significant events. It is primarily a maintenance/servicing log with every task undertaken and significant details that might be valuable in the future...I have referred back to this log many times to refresh my memory months and years later as to what was exactly done. This log idea is a practice (maintenance log) we used in the Air Force before, during and after every flight including departure/landing times and hours logged. My understand is that a handwritten ships log can be considered a legal source should it need be.

I also keep a computer (Excel) inventory (now 20 pages) of every item on the boat and date acquired plus some significant measurments. This includes make, model, serial number, plus any significant specifications of the item, and sourcing phone/email information if needed while away from home. I take a copy of this with me on every trip and to the annual boat show in case I need the details speaking with vendors. The inventory is usually updated annually. It will also come in handy dealing with the insurance company should I experience theft or total loss.

Lastly, I keep all original manuals/documentation that came with equipment installed on the boat in a bag; these have come in handy numerous times.

I have looked at a few logs on the market but they don't work for me, the above does.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 12:39   #11

Boat: Malo 39

If you specifically want an app try ShipShapePro. Pretty good and can be tailored to suit.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 05:14   #12

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi

I am a new menber in Lymington, UK

Perhaps you might consider using a Smart Pen that keeps your written notes on either normal or special waterproof paper, and places the notes and drawings in whichever program you wish

https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/a...best-smart-pen
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 06:23   #13

I keep all the original documentation for radios, GPS, etc in a 3 ring binder. Items that are not new in my ownership like,the compass, engine, auto pilot, instruments, furler, head, - anything that was already aboard when I bought the boat - I have found owner manuals and service manuals online and printed them for storage in the same binder. If I'm not able to access the Internet when something needs fixing, I can still read the hard copies.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 15:17   #14

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi
Perhaps a smartpen may be useful
https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/a...best-smart-pen
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 17:56   #15

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

I purchased and use Boat Organizer Deluxe.

Very intuitive, dos based program that allows catagory creation and flexible input boxes as well as photo input for inventory and parts identification.

I really like it, a bit spendy but they creators answer every email every time.
Support is worth the extra money and its a one time charge, not annual.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat