Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 10:05   #16

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
I'm also in the market for a led replacement bulbs that are bright and have a warm light to them, not the cooler blue type light that many seem to have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sensabulb is great... We have 3 of them, which completely light the salon. 160ma per bulb, and they are very nice and warm. Take a look at the bulb comparison thread, which is here somewhere...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 10:58   #17

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Also check for RFI - I have a couple of Dr. LED white all-round lights that basically render a VHF useless if installed at the masthead.... they are broadband noise generators.

For interior cabin light retrofits, I am very happy with Sensibulbs... and have been unable to detect any noise from them.

Steve
Old 14-02-2010, 11:37   #18

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I have heard a lot of stories about LED bulbs failing. My guess is that this is a result of voltage spikes on the 12V buss. LED's have active semiconductor components that are sensitive to voltage spikes. I am personally holding off on purchasing LEDs until I can protect the bulbs from voltage spikes. I have a lot of inductive loads on my boat and they throw a lot of spikes. The only person I know that has no issues with LEDs is a friend that has an all manual boat with no inductive loads at all. I suppose I could set it up use some self discipline and never activate an inductive load while I have the lights switched on, but I don't trust myself.

I'm still looking for a good 12volt spike arrestor. Anyone have any suggestions?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:08   #19

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
I have replaced all my lights, inside and nav with bulbs from the automotive side and have not had a failure in 5 years as well never paid the big bucks that Dr. Led wanted. Further more mine are salt friendly. They also in some cases exceed the candle power requirement.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:10   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Sorry to hear about your bulb problems. If you are putting these bulbs into fixtures that leak, how is that the bulbs fault? I would think that any water would damage the bulb, and rightfully void any warranty.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 13:04   #21

Thanks to all for your input - Sensibulbs seem to get positive reviews as I look around the internet. The warm color is a big deal to me, and that seems to be a comment that is repeated when these are bulbs are mentioned. I'll give 3 of them a try for my most commonly used lights and see how I like them before committing to using them throughout the boat at $40 a pop. That will give me a chance to experiment with them in my reading lights too - I need a fair amount of light to read by.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 19:55   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Sensabulb is great... We have 3 of them, which completely light the salon. 160ma per bulb, and they are very nice and warm. Take a look at the bulb comparison thread, which is here somewhere...
I agree I just got six and they're fantastic. Great color, (similar to halogen) with more even distribution of illumination at one tenth of the current. Oh, and I think they're even slightly BRIGHTER than the halogens which they replaced.

Link to test:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...son-21839.html

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 20:09   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
I'm also in the market for a led replacement bulbs that are bright and have a warm light to them, not the cooler blue type light that many seem to have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sensibulb, hands down. Tell them you read about them on a sailing forum and they will give you 10% off. these bulbs are well worth the price when compared to other LED bulbs if you want bright and warm..
Old 14-02-2010, 21:03   #24

Boat: Woods Banshee 10m catamaran
My experience with Dr LED....disaster. Purchased nav and interior units....most have failed/gone dim/flash/etc. some within a month. I was horrified to see them appear in the West Catalogue. The only one still working correctly is the masthead tri-light. Sensibulb seems the way to go...
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 04:04   #25
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I bought about a dozen sensabulbs about 4+ years ago, 1 failed with in 1 month and 1 more after 3 years, I sent them back both of them , years after the warrenty is over and they gave me new ones- no cost- the rest are working fine!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 08:30   #26

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
I just bought three DRLED Aqusignal 40 replacement modules. These are the new design which drives a single high power LED mounted to a "Star" board (a standard scheme). The LED itself should be far more reliable than the old design using multiple 3mm LEDs. The 3mm LEDs are frequently overdriven and don't get rid of their heat well. This new design should be much better in that respect. However, the module is definitely not waterproof. I plan to disassemble one to get a better look, and investigate the possibility of potting the electronics in the base of the module in epoxy . That should protect the driver from water and also improve the heat path from driver board and LED mount, though I think the LED has enough heat sink area to meet its needs. More can't hurt.

Even if potting in epoxy isn't practical, I think a good soaking with Boeshield T9 would be helpful.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 08:49   #27

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Also check for RFI - I have a couple of Dr. LED white all-round lights that basically render a VHF useless if installed at the masthead.... they are broadband noise generators.
Steve
This sounds familiar!

Thanks for the heads up on Dr. LED. I will be replacing all of our incandescent bulbs at some time and whether there are inherent problems in the Dr. LED's or voltage spikes or what ever the cause, I am not willing to put out the money for a product with no or very poor support and with so many complaints against it.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 09:27   #28

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Another nice LED setup I am using for interior lighting is the Bebe Fautasi at Marine grade, 18 LED Strip Light constructed from beautiful hardwood . I put one over my stove, and illuminate not only the stove top and nearby counter but also the storage cabinets behind it for a couple of watts. Guaranteed forever and inexpensive if you want a good area light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bebiclosed.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	13288  
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:58   #29

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
led replacements

Hi Folks. I have been in touch with quite a few sailors that have changed their old bulbs for LED. of all of them I recomended that they buy from ecsmith.com
to a man they have been very glad with the LED's supplied. I know that they are in England but they are hay to post anywhere in the world and give a very good service.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:14   #30

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
led replacements

THis is the site for the bulbs LEd and they are all waterproof.
Lights & Lighting Products, LED Replacement Bulbs from E C Smith & Sons UK Marine Supplier
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights