Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2010, 19:27   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Yup there is that windage issue but I never had a problem. I like those think SS ones but had those cheaper rounder ones on my own boat. Folding ones I just dont trust.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 19:53   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
[QUOTE=SaltyMonkey;459862]1) You need a free track to be able to use any of these products.
See post #13 for a brilliant idea to solve this. I suggest we try it on your mast first though.
2) You must assemble the Prime Climb which takes time, dexterity, room and patience.
Yup. Minus one point for Prime climb

[/QUOTE]

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 20:27   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
See post #13 for a brilliant idea to solve this. I suggest we try it on your mast first though.
Thats not brilliant because you never know where the sail is going to get hung. What? do we make cuts all the way to the top? Add a tri sail track all the way to the top?

Next you'll be telling me it's turtles all the way down...
Old 28-05-2010, 22:09   #19

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
I want to use a halyard to raise a block to give 4:1 to another block hooked to your harness/chair. Then I should be able to go up and down easier than if I had mast steps. Anyone tried this?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 04:59   #20

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik
geckosenator: - that is the system I have used successfully for years, except I don't actually haul a separate tackle up. My main haliard is a 2:1 tackle, and my Yankee haliard is 3:1. (my arms prefer it when I attach the chair to the Yankee haliard!) So, a separate block (double with becket) hauled up to the mast head should allow you 4:1 purchase, making the job easier. Having said that, I must confess I worry during the times when I must disconnect my safety line on the way up, waiting for the next place to hook it! (I have to go up solo) I wish I could have steps on the mast.
Old 29-05-2010, 10:49   #21

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Senator,

I have used that method on my Catalina 30 for 20 years and it works great, although if the mast were any higher it would be quite a workout. I use a ratchet block to help a bit. The downside to this system is that you can't get your head up over the masthead because of the block and tackle.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 13:13   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Didn't see anyone mentioning the ATN Top Climber. ATN Mastclimber
I've been using one for several years now, probably at least 30 trips up the mast mast without another soul around. Takes about 5 minutes to set up. It's a bit of a workout but easily doable by this 65 year old. The new ones have climbing hardware that can be attached to a halyard anywhere. The older ones, like I have, have to have the climbing line threaded through from the end. There is a bit of a learning curve to setting it up but not much. I found that low stretch halyards run up bar tight on a winch make climbing a lot easier. No worry about sliding retainers up tracks should a sail jam.

I was going to make one up using climbing hardware but buying a harness, ascenders, making up the foot straps, etc. wasn't a bunch cheaper. If you already have some of the gear it could be a way cheaper way to go. After all, Prussik Knots are free.

Using a four part tackle to haul one up is costly for blocks and line. It also takes a lot of line as you'll need 4 times the mast length to get to the top. There is also the problem of belaying the line. I wouldn't trust my life to a cam cleat and undoing a knot under tension can get interesting. Definitely would want a safety line with a Prussic knot when using a tackle.

Steps are by far the quickest wayt to get up the mast. They do have some windage but it's not much and we're talking cruising here. Steps are also costly and no fun to drill and tap all the holes even on with the mast on saw horses, btdt. Doing them with the mast in place is just not in my future. Don't suggest pop rivets. Can't imagine doing a 100 or so of them with one of those plier like setters. I don't trust pop rivets, in any case. Working off steps gets tiresome. I usually had my wife run up a bosun's chair so I didn't have to stand for the whole time. Worked but required her to be around to get the chair up to me. You need to lash yourself to the mast so you can work hands free.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 13:35   #23
cruiser

There's another good reason for installing mast steps on the mast instead of using a halyard or some other contraption for all the steps.

If a road runner at the top of the mast with a pair of scissors decides to cut the halyard, you at least won't end up on deck like a dead coyote. With two pairs of steps attached to the mast - if one goes out, you have another leg...and your harness attached to the step above.
Old 28-07-2010, 19:47   #24

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Steps are sold

Steps are sold
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast