Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 06:11   #1

Boat: islandpacket
Plastic teak

I would like to replace my teak toe rail. It's 5 to 6 inches wide. I'm looking for something solid so I can thru bolt my life line stanchion to. The stuff I've seen is hollow. My teak was way over sanded and the plugs are popping out. I don't need it shiney but solid and good looking.
Any suggestions?
Thanks all,. Al
Old 08-03-2018, 11:38   #2

Re: Plastic teak

Please.
Old 12-03-2018, 15:16   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I'd go with iroko, not the plastic stuff. If at all possible keep what you have and repair as necessary.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 16:04   #4

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Flexiteek makes solid trim stock, but I believe the widest is only 100mm...

Flexiteek Trims - Flexiteek

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 17:31   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Ipe is also a great substitute for teak. It is readily available at decking suppliers in a multitude of dimensions, it behaves like teak to the elements, and looks much like teak, for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. A few caveats..it is denser than teak, so it weighs about 10-20% more, and the dust can be nasty, so sanding/cutting requires a mask. Carbide tipped tools for cutting, etc are a must, as is pre-drilling holes. .
Old 12-03-2018, 17:40   #6

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-re...er/trim-lumber

Going on 4 years in tropical sun with no maintenance - looks like the day I installed it.
Old 12-03-2018, 18:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I would like to replace my teak toe rail. It's 5 to 6 inches wide. I'm looking for something solid so I can thru bolt my life line stanchion to. The stuff I've seen is hollow. My teak was way over sanded and the plugs are popping out. I don't need it shiney but solid and good looking.
Any suggestions?
Thanks all,. Al
How about starboard you will never have to worry about it again
overextendedfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 18:59   #8

Boat: Southern Cross 28

PlasTeak as posted above is a good option. I have used it. While not as pretty as finished teak, it looks good, costs less, and is maintenance free. I am attaching a few pictures. The exterior companionway you can see next to wood companionway boards that need refinishing. You will also see the port side upright has a few screw holes yet to be plugged. In the interior shots the companionway and bottom trim wood are PlasTeak. The trim on the sides is real wood at present. The bulkhead surface is their flooring without seam lines, they call it solid teak, fabric backed sheet that is glued on. A work in progress. Hope this helps.

JMD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 19:17   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

A few solutions, and repeating some of the above. Assuming that the rail you are talking about is top of the gunnel and the outer-side is protruding the hull, to act like a a rubbing strake. I doubt if replacing the whole timber rail with a a plastic one will be a solid enough base to screw in the staunchions.

- replace whole of rail with timber, for other woods see above
- level top of rail with planer/sander and epoxy glue another layer of timber on top, using timber with similar contraction/expansion properties. This 'layer' to be 10 to 20 mm thick
- as above but then in other material than wood, like starboard. Maybe not as aesthetically pleasing, but less maintenance; although most of the plastics cannot be glued with epoxy, either use screws or a suitable gooh from a reputable supplier ie Bostik, Sikaflex, Simson, 3M etc.
- the following can be done with any of the above solutions: plane/sand the outside of the rail, and screw strips of PE (polyethylene). This makes a superior rubrail: no splintering, no maintenance, and parts can be replaced easily if they become looking less than new. Yes, PE is softer than hardwood, but it slides beautifully. It protects the wood that is far harder to replace. When using PE the minimum thickness I guess would be 12-15 mm. Width depends on the wooden rail that is supporting the PE. Black PE stands up better tot he sun than the white colour. Black lasts at least 20 years without any deterioration (I have this on my jetty instead of the boat). White lasts ~ 20 years, I put this kind of rubbing rails on a few boats.
- Install a strip of metal on the gunnel/rail to protect the wood/boat: ie bronze, monel, SS.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:50   #10

Great ideas, thanks Hank, have any photos?

Tags
teak