Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 12:03   #16

Re: Opinion on Nanni Engines??

Nanni used many engine bases over the years. I thought they were no longer active? Most all of their engines in the past have had issues with finding parts related to the "Marinization" portion. Nanni would liklely be one of the last I would want put in ....in the US.

My Nanni was a Mercedes engine. Engine parts were readily available from Mercedes. But marinization parts were unobtainable.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:46   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’ve had two nannis , good little engines mine very very reliable
Nanni is a big Italian owned company based in France
Their bigger blocks are from a variety of companies. The smaller ones are kubota based.

I would however be cognisant of where the dealer network is. In UK and Europe there is good support I can’t speak for elsewhere
Old 11-10-2021, 13:55   #18

Boat: Mirage 35

Yes, make a point of picking up parts when you're in France; they're hard to find in North America.

I've finally located an apparently reliable Nanni dealer near Montreal so can get Nanni parts and support if necessary, but for common parts it's easier to find replacements. Fortunately I have the Kubota oil filter number, I forget who the impeller is made by but it's a common one you'll find at any chandlery, you can get a compatible V-belt at an automotive supplier, and so on.

I've had minimal problems with the engine, but it only has 330 hours on it. Still, I would find it hard to recommend them unless you know that you have access to parts and service. And, now that I think of it, the minor failures I've had - oil extraction pump, coolant overflow tank bracket, engine hours meter - were all Nanni add-on parts.
Old 11-10-2021, 14:04   #19

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The problem with Nanni and Beta engines is that while the engine itself will have parts available long term the same is not necessarily true for the marinized parts ie. heat exchanger, water pump">raw water pump etc. The other factor to keep in mind is that they are still direct inject vs common rail. Common rail is both quieter and more efficient since the injectors are electronically controlled. All major manufacturers are required to produce common rail for the US market for all diesel applications.. They have become very reliable. You might want to have him look at the corresponding Yanmar engine which is comparable in price now. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 15:40   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have a Kubota based Nanni 43. When the tubes in the heat exchanger failed (green coolant water came out when we started the engine), we discovered Nanni will not allow you to replace the tube bundle, have to buy the whole new heat exchanger. So, there can be that kind of problem with Nanni. It is not an uncommon position these days, but proprietary stuff is often v., v., much more $$ than the engine parts for the tractors.

As mentioned above, Kubotas are pretty common, and the tractor store is more user friendly than the marine store, almost always.

Our engine is over 30 yrs. old, with roughly 6,000 hrs. on it, and IMO it has been mainly trouble free. (It did require a rubber O ring for one of the injectors from the Kubota rep in Melbourne, Australia, and dealing with them was a pleasant, helpful, efficient experience. Kudos to them!)

Ann
Old 11-10-2021, 16:02   #21

I've used Nanni Diesels for years. Great engines. They are built by Kubota, a Japanese company that builds tractor engines and generators and marinised in France.

I changed the Universal 32HP petrol engine in my Catalina 30 "Rumbottle" to a 7kW Nanni when I commenced my circumnavigation in 1987. It used 0.75 litres/hour when charging batteries. I have also installed 2 x 64kW Nanni main engines and 1 x 9kW generator in my Grand Banks. They've done a great job.

No problems with spares here (in Singapore) because the original Kubota parts are available 'next door' in Malaysia.
Rumbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 16:46   #22

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Tons of Kubota parts new and used on eBay, offered in a lot of cases by dealers. I’m guessing those dealers can hook you up with the parts to marinize those engines. I bought a Kubota zeroturn mower with a three cylinder engine that was pretty whipped out at an auction and still got three years more out of it. Love those engines.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 19:49   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
EDIT: I was wrong. Nannis are Kubota blocks, parts for which are available worldwide, according to Wottie-who-is-King
(Please see thread below):

Engine Rebuild Kits
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-249313.html

That said, please read SkipMac's Post #4 above that: "heat exchangers, exhaust and such were not up to the same quality as Beta Marine's version".

Those items may or may not have been sorted out, so it sounds as if a bit more research may be required...

Good luck,
LittleWing77
(As you know, I already recommended that if repowering, you go with a Beta.)
I have 2 beta engines currently. A 38hp. and a 28hp. I belong to the Beta Facebook page. there are a lot of complaints about the heat exchangers failing do to the use of dissimilar metals in them and the small size of the zinc they use. It is said the zinc needs replacing every 3 months. I currently designing a new bolt on zinc housing to facilitate a much larger zinc.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There are a lot of complaints about the heat exchangers failing due to the use of dissimilar metals in them and the too-small size of the zincs they use.
Wow, Celestial!

Just incredible to contemplate, eh? These are major marine engine manufacturers. Just like the mixing elbows on the Yanmars. Sheesh!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
The other factor to keep in mind is that they are still direct-inject vs common rail.

Common rail is both quieter and more efficient since the injectors are electronically controlled. ... You might want to look at the corresponding Yanmar engine which is comparable in price now.
You're absolutely right, Scrimshaw. The crux of the matter does return to common-rail versus direct-inject.

Which is why I keep returning to Beta. Yes, common rail is more efficient and quieter, but please note your own (key) words: electronically controlled.

What does that mean to your average boat owner? It means that if you are at sea and normally be capable of effecting repairs, if the electronic injection fails, it would NOT be able to be repaired without (a) electronic diagnostics and (b) a certified, licensed technician.

Also look closely at the warranty conditions of the new common-rail Yanmars and Volvos. The manufacturers have begun to write in very specific conditions on their warranties: 25, 50, 100, 250, 500-hour service (arbitrary hours list on my part because I don't remember specifically) service by a certified Yanmar/Volvo technician.

How many of those technicians are out there? Where are they located? How available are they?

From my own marina experience, I can tell you we had 4 certified marine mechanics on staff and only one had the supplimentary Yanmar+Volvo certifications. He was constantly and fully booked - to the point of being overextended and overexhausted. There weren't enough hours in the day!

This is within North America, where we enjoy easy access to a variety of services... now project yourself (and whatever engine you choose) to the cruising area where you'll be sailing.

My own opinion is that I want an engine that I'll be able to work on myself and won't be effectively stranded at sea by a manufacturers' electronic add-ons which effectively prevent me from "saving myself", when and if required.

Fair winds All,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:10   #26

Boat: Metalu, Diam40, 42ft

The injection, mechanical fuel pump, gear driven timing, torque curve and kubota blocks commonly used worldwide in small machinery were main reasons I went to it when re-powering previous year. Practically had 2 choices here in FI -Beta and Nanni, went to latter one (50hp) due to bit more suitable dimensions for my installation. Local distributor was very helpful ordering bi-pole, extra alternator version from manufacturer, giving installation tips and not hiding original block no. Also got full Nanni base engine workshop manual and DIY installation was no problem w. them. Price was fair compared to other options (in case I would have accepted unreliable electronics or CAM belts)
LouTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:58   #27

Good luck sorting out the wheat from the chaff regarding opinions! After about three decades in the technical side of the marine business in Canada for what it is worth...While the Nanni is not a bad choice I'd suggest that the Beta Marine version is well worth the little bit of extra money. The non Kubota items from Beta are generally of much higher quality and the spares availability and customer service level from Kubota is usually excellent. This all makes the little extra price worthwhile.
From memory the Beta's up to about 110 HP all use mechanical injection etc. and are much easier to repair and maintain without using the dealer.
Cheers,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:15   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Opinion on Nanni Engines??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall leslie View Post
Good luck sorting out the wheat from the chaff regarding opinions! After about three decades in the technical side of the marine business in Canada for what it is worth...While the Nanni is not a bad choice I'd suggest that the Beta Marine version is well worth the little bit of extra money. The non Kubota items from Beta are generally of much higher quality and the spares availability and customer service level from Kubota is usually excellent. This all makes the little extra price worthwhile.

From memory the Beta's up to about 110 HP all use mechanical injection etc. and are much easier to repair and maintain without using the dealer.

Cheers,

Niall.

I fixed up a beta and a nanni. I couldn’t see any justification for your comment that nanni marinisation parts are somehow inferior.

It should be pointed out that nanni marinise a big range of engines only the smaller blocks are Kubota

AP peachmont in the UK were always very approachable and knowledgable as the nanni agents.

Certainly in Europe beta parts being U.K. based are quite hard to get

Quite frankly if spares and knowledge drive engine choice Volvo and yanmar are the only two options

Say all you like about Volvo but spares are every where.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56   #29

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You're absolutely right, Scrimshaw. The crux of the matter does return to common-rail versus direct-inject.

Which is why I keep returning to Beta. Yes, common rail is more efficient and quieter, but please note your own (key) words: electronically controlled.

What does that mean to your average boat owner? It means that if you are at sea and normally be capable of effecting repairs, if the electronic injection fails, it would NOT be able to be repaired without (a) electronic diagnostics and (b) a certified, licensed technician.

Also look closely at the warranty conditions of the new common-rail Yanmars and Volvos. The manufacturers have begun to write in very specific conditions on their warranties: 25, 50, 100, 250, 500-hour service (arbitrary hours list on my part because I don't remember specifically) service by a certified Yanmar/Volvo technician.

How many of those technicians are out there? Where are they located? How available are they?

From my own marina experience, I can tell you we had 4 certified marine mechanics on staff and only one had the supplimentary Yanmar+Volvo certifications. He was constantly and fully booked - to the point of being overextended and overexhausted. There weren't enough hours in the day!

This is within North America, where we enjoy easy access to a variety of services... now project yourself (and whatever engine you choose) to the cruising area where you'll be sailing.

My own opinion is that I want an engine that I'll be able to work on myself and won't be effectively stranded at sea by a manufacturers' electronic add-ons which effectively prevent me from "saving myself", when and if required.

Fair winds All,
LittleWing77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall leslie View Post
Cheers,
Niall.
The mechanical vs electronic issue was my decision point in 2002 when planning the repower. I was down to two choices, Beta and Volkswagen. The VW engine was electronically controlled and was a new offering to the marine industry with no track record. Eighteen years later I am satisfied that I made the right choice. I have only seen a Nanni at a boat show and cannot comment on the quality of their marinization components.

I repowered myself, only hiring a crane to pull the old engine and lower in the new. I have had Beta authorized mechanics look at my engine twice. Once at the install - Beta sent a mechanic to verify proper installation and once more for a full checkup just before the warranty expired. All other work on the engine has been performed by me.

I am not a diesel mechanic but I would never purchase an engine that I could not work on myself without voiding the warranty.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 14:44   #30

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

I had a Nanni 30 HP in my S&S 34 for 15 years and I worked it pretty hard as a cruising boat.

I was very pleased with the service the engine gave me and continues to provide to the new owner. In my service history with the engine I experienced
– need to replace heat exchanger elbow.

- need to replace gearbox oil seal and 2 propeller shafts due to poor engine alignment- not fault of engine but most valuable lesson is to ensure CORRECT ALIGNMENT first time and again short run in period eg 20 hrs

- also had to have raw water pump rebuilt. As I was cruising I carried a spare pump

From a DYI to replace the anodes in the heat exchanger were a bit fiddly as they were under the heat exchanger and not Readily accessible by fingers or spanners. But time and practice and a shortened spanner overcame the difficulty.

Also the alternator would loose belt tension and the result was fan belt dust

Hopefully these minor issues have been addressed.

Unsure where you are located but here in Australia the engine is backed by Collins Marine and I can only praise their support and knowledge.

Big tip keep the new engine clean

Good luck

Colin
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine