Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15   #1

Boat: Kajun Diva, Lagoon 380
Question Norpro Generator

Product: Norpro Diesel Generator 7KW Navigator Series
Mfg: Norpro

We purchased our Lagoon 380 in 2008 with a Norpro 7kw genset already installed. The genset had been purchased by previous owner in 2007. The unit worked beautifully as we've traveled the Caribbean over the past 2 years.

Problems started a couple of weeks ago. Started the genset to top off the batteries and had an awful smell and no output. Further examination showed the main stator had burnt. Called Norpro requesting a new stator and were informed they had none, none in the US, and didn't know when or if they would receive any. Also said the genset was no longer made although they still appear on their website.

Have tried to contact the company president numerous times with no response. Service and Parts departments can't tell us more than above info. Is there a problem here

As we all know, things are great until they start breaking. At that time access to parts and good customer service are imperative. In my opinion, Norpro has neither. As it stands we have a good genset with no parts to repair and a company not concerned with after sale issues. Did I mention this unit comes with a 5 year warranty and is one of the big selling points?

My recommendation is to look elsewhere for a genset OR if you already own one, pray nothing breaks.
Gregory A. Duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Sorry to hear about the warranty breach and your treatment by Norpro.

Norpro uses Italian SKG alternators, so you might be able to source one elsewhere or directly from a SKG supplier. The model number should be on the alternator - probably the FB4 series. I think Northern Lights also uses SKG, as well as some other manufacturers.

Mark (a couple of boats north of you)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:07   #3

An automotive starter/alternator repair shop (if you can find one) should be able to rebuild/rewind the stator.
Old 26-10-2010, 15:37   #4

Boat: Kajun Diva, Lagoon 380
Norpro Generator

Alas........

Ended up finding a rewind shop here in Grenada who did an excellent job on the stator. Cost us $800EC ($300US). Beats having a worthless genset on board. Purrs like a kitten again.

CT BBB tried for 4 weeks to contact Norpro without response. They have been placed on the "BBB Bad List" for 3 years. Not much, but something. Pays to do a bit of research before buying anything BIG for your boat.

Willena Dugas
S/V Kajun Diva
Gregory A. Duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 15:24   #5

Re: Norpro Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory A. Duga View Post
Product: Norpro Diesel Generator 7KW Navigator Series
Mfg: Norpro

We purchased our Lagoon 380 in 2008 with a Norpro 7kw genset already installed. The genset had been purchased by previous owner in 2007. The unit worked beautifully as we've traveled the Caribbean over the past 2 years.

Problems started a couple of weeks ago. Started the genset to top off the batteries and had an awful smell and no output. Further examination showed the main stator had burnt. Called Norpro requesting a new stator and were informed they had none, none in the US, and didn't know when or if they would receive any. Also said the genset was no longer made although they still appear on their website.

Have tried to contact the company president numerous times with no response. Service and Parts departments can't tell us more than above info. Is there a problem here

As we all know, things are great until they start breaking. At that time access to parts and good customer service are imperative. In my opinion, Norpro has neither. As it stands we have a good genset with no parts to repair and a company not concerned with after sale issues. Did I mention this unit comes with a 5 year warranty and is one of the big selling points?

My recommendation is to look elsewhere for a genset OR if you already own one, pray nothing breaks.
Thank you very much for your posting.
I have just recently purchased a Norpro generator and it is still in transit. The owner of the factory has not even bothered to send a tracking number, only after threatening to consult a lawyer did I receive the tracking. He was very quick in taking the order, but once the cash was received - end of story.
Emails remained un-answered, OK, I was unlucky, the factory was on holiday for a week, but a quick answer from his I-phone (which he had at that time) would have solved the problem.
If I ever receive this generator, I think I will sell it immediately and buy one from a reputable company. The after sale service is, what makes a great company and that is something Mr. Jared never heard of.
Don't even waste your time looking into buying this product.
wolfphuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 15:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory A. Duga View Post
Alas........

Ended up finding a rewind shop here in Grenada who did an excellent job on the stator. Cost us $800EC ($300US). Beats having a worthless genset on board. Purrs like a kitten again.

CT BBB tried for 4 weeks to contact Norpro without response. They have been placed on the "BBB Bad List" for 3 years. Not much, but something. Pays to do a bit of research before buying anything BIG for your boat.

Willena Dugas
S/V Kajun Diva
Yes, you are so right, it pays for sure to do some research before purchasing. The good thing with any generator is, one can get them fixed relatively cheap in any country, so don't bother to contact Norpro Generators, they only answer the phone for sales not for warranties - offering 5 year warranty - the liars
wolfphuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Just noticed this thread and wanted to comment. I have had a norpro 9KW generator since 2005. It now has about 13,000 hours on it.

It has been relatively trouble free, and that is by comparison to other generators in the charter fleet.

I did have some problems with their customer service, early on. Over time, I communicated with the owners and came to understand that the younger generation of the family didn't have the same commitment as their parents, who eventually re-asserted control a few years ago. Since then, they have been flawless.

It's a small company, and probably the individual personalities in play make a huge difference. I think it's in pretty good hands these days, and the gensets are certainly well built. I would buy again, but thoroughly understand the frustration that many felt from that dark period in NorPro's existence.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator