Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 09:19   #1

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch
New anchor chain

We are looking to replace our old 5/16" BBB anchor chain with 5/16" G43 chain. Has anyone had any recent experience with Peerless/Acco chain. I've read revues stating Acco was great chain until a few years ago when they were purchased by Peerless. The reviews from 2013-2015 weren't very flattering to Peerless/Acco. I would think by now they would have straightened out the problems with their chains, but I haven't seen anything written more recently than 2015. I can also get chain from Titan where I live very easily, but I hear that chain is manufactured in China. Supposedly this Canadian company stays on top of QC but once again I have no recent intel. So I'm just wondering if anyone here can enlighten me.
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: New anchor chain

We went to 7/16 G43 ACCO about 5 yrs ago no problems as yet.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:14   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We bought an Italian quality chain back in 2013. Later I discovered it was made in China too - even though the drum said clearly Made in Italy. Bad chain.

So my take is to avoid any Chinese chain. Go for something made in the US.

You want to see heaps and heaps of zinc on your chain, NOT a fine silverish and shiny layer applied by a very tired operator at the end of their Friday shift.

I have seen old G4 ACCO chain on a friend's boat. It was outstanding quality.

Take care. Buy the best. It does make sense.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27   #4

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I don't believe it was ever made clear in the negative reports regarding ACCO chain if the chain was the USA made chain or the China made chain. ACCO sells both. I'm fairly sure the USA ACCO chain is still one of the best chains you can buy.

Kenbo
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:05   #5

Boat: Hylas 44

I bought Acco chain back in 2007 used in a trip back and forth to the BVI and that chain began rusting in Dominican Republic after only 6 month. Apparently, other cruisers had the same problems with the Acco chain they bought during the same period.
I buy new Titan chain last fall from Amazon ( free transportation), I am in Martinique on my way to Grenada and after 11 months , the chain is still looking like a new one.
Titan Chain is made by Canada Metal the manufacturer of Rocna anchor and most zincs we are using on our boats. Base on my experience , I would buy anytime another chain from them.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:37   #6

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

We bought some Italian Maggi g7 in St. Maarten 3 years ago after two disappointing Acco G4 experiences. However the Maggi is rusting much faster than I hoped, I may have heard that the galvanizing is different than on their G4 chain which has a great reputation. Would like to hear that Acco has restored their quality as in the past it always seemed to last longer
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor