Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 17:54   #1

Nano technology gelcoat polish

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has had extensive experience with the product Lion Protect Gelcoat Sealer and whether there are any downsides? I'm keen to reverse the oxidation of my hull but do not want to apply any product that will effect the fibreglass long term or leave a residue that is difficult to remove and effect the surface for future paint application.
Apart from Lion Protect's product there is an alternative one called Nanoman Gelcoat Polish & Seal. They sound like they are similar products but once again, has anyone had experience with one or the other and if so, which is better?
Cheers,
Gunnadave
GUNNADAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 02:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Nano technology gelcoat polish

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gunnadave.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 05:06   #3

The nano particle used is Silicium (14Si)

This company permanon has been in business the longest

Commonly used to protect aircraft from UV damage

https://www.permanonfinishes.com/pro...t-supershine-1

They supply the nano particle in liquid form

It is very easy to use

The basic concept is polish the surface with pad , compound on a random orbital

Wash the surface .. apply the nano particle with a windex type sprayer. Wipe of with a micro fiber cloth

Follow the directions

Since the product is concentrated you mix 10 of 20 percent distilled water

Hence the smallest bottle of product is sufficient for your boat
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 15:19   #4

Thanks for the welcome GordMay and the reply Slug.
GUNNADAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 16:05   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Hmm, how could yet another (very innocuous) thread become about our current contagion? Because one of the recommended products claims to work against the coronavirus by preventing the virus from breeding on surfaces. And yet viruses do not replicate outside a host, they just sit there and wait for another host to pick them up or they eventually dry up and become inactive.

Quote:
This has the consequence that the surfaces react strongly hydrophobic (water-repellent) and thus viruses, bacteria and fungi do not find a humid breeding ground on the surface and therefore dry up (dehydrate) and die as far as possible.
That sentence might be true (they have some paid for science to back it up) if they dropped viruses from the list. At the very best their product may reduce the viability period of the virus outside a host if indeed it causes the lipid protective layer to erode more quickly. Yet the NIH and other studies find that the coronavirus has the longest viability on hard/smooth surfaces - the kind the product in question claims to create. Makes it hard to accept any of their other claims if they jump on the current pandemic with unsubstantiated claims in order to drive sales.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 16:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Hmm, how could yet another (very innocuous) thread become about our current contagion? Because one of the recommended products claims to work against the coronavirus by preventing the virus from breeding on surfaces. And yet viruses do not replicate outside a host, they just sit there and wait for another host to pick them up or they eventually dry up and become inactive.

That sentence might be true (they have some paid for science to back it up) if they dropped viruses from the list. At the very best their product may reduce the viability period of the virus outside a host if indeed it causes the lipid protective layer to erode more quickly. Yet the NIH and other studies find that the coronavirus has the longest viability on hard/smooth surfaces - the kind the product in question claims to create. Makes it hard to accept any of their other claims if they jump on the current pandemic with unsubstantiated claims in order to drive sales.

I believe that the inside of food handling pipes and tanks are coated with a nano particle
Old 27-03-2020, 16:39   #7

A lot of things are treated with nano-particles. It reduces surface porosity and makes them easier to clean, but unless those particles themselves are a biocide it does nothing to kill anything on them. I can even see the argument that lower porosity means that things like fungi can't "dig in", but that's not the behavior of a virus. Nothing but supposition, but a virus sitting proud on a low-porosity surface is probably easier to pick up and transfer than one that may be stuck in a surface pore.

Either way, to claim that your nano silicone helps prevent coronavirus transmission with zero substantiation is just bad business. Snake-oil on top of snake-oil.
Old 27-03-2020, 17:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
A lot of things are treated with nano-particles. It reduces surface porosity and makes them easier to clean, but unless those particles themselves are a biocide it does nothing to kill anything on them. I can even see the argument that lower porosity means that things like fungi can't "dig in", but that's not the behavior of a virus. Nothing but supposition, but a virus sitting proud on a low-porosity surface is probably easier to pick up and transfer than one that may be stuck in a surface pore.

Either way, to claim that your nano silicone helps prevent coronavirus transmission with zero substantiation is just bad business. Snake-oil on top of snake-oil.
Whoa .... you sound angry

Chill out

This thread is about protecting exterior surfaces from UV burn and staining

That particle SI4 is very effective and widely used
Old 27-03-2020, 19:09   #9

Not angry at all, although I probably should be. Bothered is probably a better word.

I read this forum because I too, like many others, would like to find the easy magic bullet for gel coat oxidation. So I dug into the various products mentioned. Only to find one that appears to be attempting to profit from the current pandemic with very dubious claims. I find that bothersome.

I also find it bothersome that they try to hide behind Silicium (Si14), rather than just saying silicon, the most common element on earth. I guess they want us to think they've found something special. They haven't. Have they done something special with a very common element? Maybe.
Old 27-03-2020, 19:41   #10

"Silicium"???? What--exactly--is that? Reminds me of "Brondo, its got electrolytes"

I am a chemist and I have no idea what Silicium might be... I am pretty sure there are no particles of elemental silicon there.

As advertising puffery it has obviously raked in a few suckers...

The product might be good, or not, but the product literature is pure pseudoscience nonsense.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 19:45   #11

Silicium is the original psuedo-Latin word used in English for silicon. No longer in use, an obsolete term dredged up for marketing to try and obscure.
Old 28-03-2020, 03:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
"Silicium"???? What--exactly--is that? Reminds me of "Brondo, its got electrolytes"

I am a chemist and I have no idea what Silicium might be... I am pretty sure there are no particles of elemental silicon there.

As advertising puffery it has obviously raked in a few suckers...

The product might be good, or not, but the product literature is pure pseudoscience nonsense.

You’re a small town type a guy

Many languages in the world

Permanon is produced in Europe

French computers contain plaquette de silicium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBBE0437-F005-4A58-B52C-7E1A4442A914.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	211439  

Tags