Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2006, 16:26   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Minney's Yacht Surplus

I have had a very pleasurable experience with a yacht surplus corporation. I live on an outer island in the Hawaiian chain. I do most of my boat part buying and selling through catalog, web, auction or otherwise.
Nearly ten years ago I bought a very good Sabot sail from Minney's Yacht Surplus via phone and asked if he wanted a bronze Sabot leeboard fitting. He said he would give me a $50 credit if I sent it to him. I did. That was in March of '98.
I just won bid on a winch on eBay auction from Minney's and they honored that credit from nine years ago with no problem whatsoever. What a great place to do business with. I've never been there. They've never seen or met me. I'm really pleased.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 18:47   #2

WOW. That is amazing.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 20:40   #3
Kai Nui

I have had similar transactions with them. I have purchased sails that did not work out due to my error, and they gladly accepted the return for a full refund. I HAVE been in the store. WOW!!!! It is like Disney Land for sailors. The staff is very knowledgeable, they have stuff hidden away in back corners of the store that is absolute treasure. In contrast, there is a local used sail warehouse in my area that deals on the internet. I called the place, as I live only 20 minutes away, and asked if they could check to see if they had a particular sail in stock. The owner asked if I had checked the list online. I said I had not. He told me he "didn't have time to look, call back when I find it online" I did call back (against my better judgement) and told him that he had a sail that was close, and asked if he could measure it. Again, he didn't have time. It just gets worse from there. Minney's standard procedure is if you call on a sail, they get your number. pull the sail. stretch it (to get actual measurements), then call back and confirm that they have it, what size it is, and the condition as they are looking at it. FANTASTIC customer service A+++
Old 16-11-2006, 21:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Kai - I'm a fan of Minney's too ... and I've actually WENT to that sail loft in my ex (your present) area to look at what he has ... didn't want someone there .. asked if I had an appointment and what did I want to buy. Very rude - and he didn't get my money ... I 'vote' with both my wallet and my feet.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 21:35   #5
Kai Nui

He has been known to give good service to little blond lawyers
Old 16-11-2006, 21:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Yeah .. I knew that
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 21:54   #7
Kai Nui

Just goes to show, customer service CAN be effected by appearance.