Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 14:53   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Megapulse battery life extender

From Mysailing.com.au today. This instrument was released at the Sydney Boat show recently.

The Megapulse may well be the best product displayed at the recent Sydney International Boat Show last weekend.
Invented by Ross Naddei from VEE Systems, the Megapulse is designed to improve battery longevity by reversing lead sulphate deposits on the cell plates. While it is new to the marine market it is well proven in Volvo and Scania trucks.
Sulphation is the leading cause of battery failure, it is a dense insulating barrier which forms on battery plates during normal battery operation, reducing the battery’s ability to accept and give off power. Ultimately it causes premature failure of the battery and key electrical system components.
Installing Megapulse Green Energy will ensure batteries work like new, providing maximum system voltage resulting in maximum fuel economy, maximum reliability, reduced emissions, reduced downtime, increased service life of onboard components and fewer battery replacements.
Modern yachts place higher loads on batteries; air conditioning, navigation gear, windlasses, electric winches etc. These inclusions negatively impact batteries causing sulphation which in turn causes low system voltage which leads to batteries, starter motors and alternators to struggle and fail prematurely.
Megapulse Green Energy reduces battery internal resistance. The desulfation process rejuvenates batteries by reversing lead sulphate deposits from battery plates. Green Energy induces 5300 pulses per second into the battery in response to the internal resistance of the battery, targeting crystallised lead sulphate, re-energising it and returning it to active duty where it can once again create energy.
Green Energy is suitable for all types of batteries, except lithium and NiCad.
When a bad battery is left untreated it reduces battery capacity, increases electrical resistance, reduces the operating voltage and causes gassing and electrolyte boil-off which are corrosive and explosive. Alternators struggle to charge batteries, Starter motors struggle to crank engines on reduced voltage and current, ultimately fuel economy, power and greenhouse emissions are affected.
Megapulse Green Energy has been tested and evaluated by leading institutions and companies including CSIRO, Unitech Energy, Volvo, Scania and Mercedes. It is already installed in over 100,000 trucks and other vehicles.
Batteries suffer from self-discharge even when not installed in a yacht, which can totally discharge and damage a fully charged battery within 6 months. When batteries are left in a discharged state, sulphation takes hold and causes premature failure, but when batteries are left for long periods of inactivity, such as over winter, the key-off load of the vehicle is an additional load increasing the overall problem.
Now they claim there is a simple solution to eliminate this problem. Installation of Megapulse Green Energy in conjunction with a trickle charger or solar panel, which will permanently maintain the battery in a charged and like new condition ensuring a first start even after 3+ years of storage. For vehicles stored indoors, a regulated battery charger and a Megapulse Green Energy device will permanently maintain the battery in a charged and like new condition ensuring a first start even after 3+ years of storage.
Vehicles left in storage for 2 months or more require this solution to avoid battery and vehicle electrical system problems, whereas vehicles that are used at least once a month only need a Megapulse Green Energy device to keep the battery and the Electrical System in like new condition.
Megapulse claim it is safe and effective in:
  • Extending vehicle battery life by 100% or more
  • Minimising unplanned and costly downtime
  • Reducing vehicle "No-Start" by 50% or more
  • Increasing starter motor life by 25% or more
  • Increasing alternator life by 50% or more
  • Preventing the loss of battery power
  • Maximising cold engine starts
  • Reducing recharging time
The patented electronic components are epoxy encapsulated and housed in a compact acid-resistant, hardened polypropylene case. It draws only 10 milliAmp of energy from the battery.
Watch the video to see Ross Naddei explain how it works:

Read more at Extend battery life with Aussie invention seen at Sydney boat show - MySailing.com.au

Their web page is Megapulse VEE System - Battery Maintainer & Desulfator

I have emailed the company to find out how much a unit will cost.

Anyone of the electrical gurus have any suggestions?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:00   #2

Re: Megapulse battery life extender

Lots of these types of device on e-bay. Big range of prices too. No idea if price is indicative of effectiveness.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:04   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Hi RC, A boat I skippered years ago had these. Hard to know if they helped. The batteries were pretty old and very stuffed. So they certainly didnt work perfectly. But they arent new tech. That was 8 years ago!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-08-2016, 15:20   #4

Yeah they've been around a while. I think some exotic car makers fit them standard, so you'd think there must be some benefit.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:24   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I had a battery saver of some type, using pulse tech. Exactly the same sales pitch as the OP. Lots of testimonials.
It didn't do squat for me. Sold it on eBay. Snake oil IMHO. In my opinion you should file this one in the same drawer with magnetic fuel enhancers.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I have been testing these sorts of "desulfator" devices now on and off for about 7 years. Not a single one of them has actually "desulfated" a battery or returned any quantifiable increase in Ah capacity. I keep hoping they will....

I currently have a BLS (Battery Life Saver) running on a less than two year old Lifeline AGM and in nearly 2.5 months it has done absolutely squat. The sister battery it was in parallel with improved by about 4% after 8 hours of equalization voltage and the BLS battery has had no change after 2.5 months...

I am quantifying my results with internal impedance baselines and then monitoring for changes. I am also running 20 hour capacity tests for baseline and then 1 each month looking for improvements.. I am also high amp load testing as well.

Maybe this one is different but it really looks like the same marketing as Pulse Tech or BLS or any of the other desulfator companies..
Old 04-08-2016, 16:14   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Megapulse Green Energy has been tested and evaluated by leading institutions and companies including CSIRO, Unitech Energy, Volvo, Scania and Mercedes.
How often we see claims like this. How seldom are the references to the "tests" posted so that one can verify the claims. My BS alarm is triggered by such verbiage.

Jim
Old 05-08-2016, 02:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I have been testing these sorts of "desulfator" devices now on and off for about 7 years. Not a single one of them has actually "desulfated" a battery or returned any quantifiable increase in Ah capacity. I keep hoping they will....

I currently have a BLS (Battery Life Saver) running on a less than two year old Lifeline AGM and in nearly 2.5 months it has done absolutely squat. The sister battery it was in parallel with improved by about 4% after 8 hours of equalization voltage and the BLS battery has had no change after 2.5 months...

I am quantifying my results with internal impedance baselines and then monitoring for changes. I am also running 20 hour capacity tests for baseline and then 1 each month looking for improvements.. I am also high amp load testing as well.

Maybe this one is different but it really looks like the same marketing as Pulse Tech or BLS or any of the other desulfator companies..
Ok, I thought you particularly may have done some testing on them.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29   #9

Thanks everyone. I got a response from the Australian sellers. Cost is $249 which makes it one of the most expensive. I then asked what makes their product different than the other 3 or 4 available and I got the following reply.

The best way to answer your question is to say that in order to be able to supply OEM manufacturers such as Volvo, Scania and Mercedes as well as Commercial Fleets on a global scale, our technology has had to undergo 10 years of development and acquire multiple certifications as well as independent tests to prove the quality, safety and efficacy of the technology.

This is something that cheap copies, knock off products and other competitors will never achieve and therefore will not acquire the credibility that goes with supplying such Giants as Volvo, Scania and Mercedes.

Our technology is manufactured in Australia and is backed by a 10 year full replacement global warranty.

We have achieved ZERO defect and failure rate since 2011 in order to qualify for OEM supply.

and finally our technology is unique, it is the only Pulse technology with Multi-Voltage (6v-48v), Multi-Activation, a built in battery test and 2000Ah conditioning capacity.

I hope this is helpful in answering your
Old 05-08-2016, 08:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Thanks everyone. I got a response from the Australian sellers. Cost is $249 which makes it one of the most expensive. I then asked what makes their product different than the other 3 or 4 available and I got the following reply.

The best way to answer your question is to say that in order to be able to supply OEM manufacturers such as Volvo, Scania and Mercedes as well as Commercial Fleets on a global scale, our technology has had to undergo 10 years of development and acquire multiple certifications as well as independent tests to prove the quality, safety and efficacy of the technology.

This is something that cheap copies, knock off products and other competitors will never achieve and therefore will not acquire the credibility that goes with supplying such Giants as Volvo, Scania and Mercedes.

Our technology is manufactured in Australia and is backed by a 10 year full replacement global warranty.

We have achieved ZERO defect and failure rate since 2011 in order to qualify for OEM supply.

and finally our technology is unique, it is the only Pulse technology with Multi-Voltage (6v-48v), Multi-Activation, a built in battery test and 2000Ah conditioning capacity.

I hope this is helpful in answering your

Unfortunately none of the info on the site tells me the product actually works. The testing data is hokey at best. Based on all the others I have tested I would need to see some legit data before spending $300.00 clams to get one to the US...
Old 05-08-2016, 08:35   #11

So they figured how to turn sulfate back into lead plate inside the battery? Ya, not. the device from my understanding use's the old trick of dead shorting a sulfated battery several times rapidly, supposedly knocking said sulfate off the plates. It may actually work a little but, the sulfate sinks to the bottom, building up a layer until it comes in to contact with the bottom of the plates and the battery dies. Proper maintenance and charging will extend battery life far beyond any such gimmick. imo
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:44   #12

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I bought something like this at a boat show a few years back for about $99
It was about the same size and configuration. I tested it on a number of batteries from motorcycle to 4D and even used it multiple times on the same battery and batteries in various conditions. I got no positive results. Disclaimer here. I never hooked it to a new battery to see if it extended the life of it.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:29   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

it doesn't repair an already damaged battery, but applied to a new battery it reduces sulphation and extends the battery life.
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanmach View Post
it doesn't repair an already damaged battery, but applied to a new battery it reduces sulphation and extends the battery life.
And of course this is the exact thing that is nearly impossible to quantify or to test for... If you call it a "desulfator" it really should desulfate any battery used or new...
Old 05-08-2016, 10:06   #15

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I've been using pulse chargers in the aviation industry for years. Here is my take: batteries that are already abused will show little improvement but will remain nonviable. Batteries that are marginal with standing voltages slightly below 12.6 will show improvement but will need to be replaced soon cause it wont last. New batteries that have been maintained with pulse chargers (my opinion only) seem to last only slightly longer than batteries using other charging platforms. I have no data or side by side comparisons to validate my claim. I paid $80 for mine.Not worth the $300 if you ask me.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, tender