Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2022, 21:33   #1

Boat: Columbia 50
‘Marine’ rip-offs…..much hate here

I was reading a thread earlier tonight regarding an Air conditioner installation. Included in the OP’s post was a picture of his installation, with a Dometic easy start in the shot. I’d never heard of it, so I looked into it; appears to be gizmo I could use, as a nice way to reduce ac startup draw, which draws my genset down and gives the ac fits from the unstable voltage/cycles that causes.

Turns out they are not widely available, and tend towards $650 if you can get one. So then I find a place called micro-air, sells a similar-function unit for $300 - small scale vendor selling his one product - much better, eh?

So THEN, performing a general search for “soft start” , I come across another company, called brisk heat. Damn if the unit they are selling isn’t the EXACT same unit, with a different label on it, for half the money, as the Dometic.

Brisk: https://www.briskheat.com/single-pha...#group-section
Dometic: https://www.dometic.com/en-se/outdoo...rt-iii-215772k

I hate this kind of nonsense

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 21:59   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: ‘Marine’ rip-offs…..much hate here

Good eye!

Um, I think we call that "due diligence" these days, rather than "A fool and his money are soon parted," or the much longer, "When someone with experience and little money meets someone with little experience and some money, pretty sooon, the one with little experience has less money and the one with experience has more."
Old 14-05-2022, 03:52   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

In fairness, manufacturers often sell direct at the highest price possible, so as not to undercut their distributors. It's possible they outsource the retail side to one of those distributors anyway. I honestly never looked into it; I just know buying direct from the manufacturer isn't always a good deal.

There are a lot of rip-offs where a common, off-the-shelf product is marked way up because someone stamped the name "marine" on it. But there are also products made to stand up to the harsh marine environment, which simply cost more.

The trick is knowing the difference!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 04:06   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Just as an FYI I have had an Easy Start for 3 years and it works great!
Old 14-05-2022, 04:31   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

This happens with many products, not just marine: companies sell the same product under different labels targeting different markets.

I once worked with a firm that built consumer electronics that were sold either as their own brand or as a big-name brand (I think it was Sony but don't quote me). The differences between the products:

- the big-name had 100% QA testing, the house brand was sample tested;
- they had a different name plate on the front;
- the big-name sold for about 50% more.

Like it or hate it, it's called marketing.
Old 14-05-2022, 06:55   #6

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I was reading a thread earlier tonight regarding an Air conditioner installation. Included in the OP’s post was a picture of his installation, with a Dometic easy start in the shot. I’d never heard of it, so I looked into it; appears to be gizmo I could use, as a nice way to reduce ac startup draw, which draws my genset down and gives the ac fits from the unstable voltage/cycles that causes.

Turns out they are not widely available, and tend towards $650 if you can get one. So then I find a place called micro-air, sells a similar-function unit for $300 - small scale vendor selling his one product - much better, eh?

So THEN, performing a general search for “soft start” , I come across another company, called brisk heat. Damn if the unit they are selling isn’t the EXACT same unit, with a different label on it, for half the money, as the Dometic.

Brisk: https://www.briskheat.com/single-pha...#group-section
Dometic: https://www.dometic.com/en-se/outdoo...rt-iii-215772k

I hate this kind of nonsense

Matt
HAH, found this while trying to track down a manual for my Dometic. Glad my picture was at least some help to you.
gotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 07:29   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

a boat store checkout person once said to me "no one made you get a boat"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat screwdriver.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	257740  
Old 14-05-2022, 07:52   #8

In a chandlery, you're basically paying for them to keep 3 or 4 of such niche things around, often for months, for the few boaters who either don't do research, or need/want things yesterday. As opposed to ... Amazon or similar, where turnover is rapid and overhead per item is orders of magnitude smaller.

But, does no-one see any irony in having a 50 ft boat, with a genny and air-conditioning, and complaining about saving $300?
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 14:43   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Umm, L-E, the Columbia 50 is an antique, now. And how did you know about the genset and AC? It IS a boat with super headroom.

Ann
Old 14-05-2022, 15:42   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
This happens with many products, not just marine: companies sell the same product under different labels targeting different markets.

I once worked with a firm that built consumer electronics that were sold either as their own brand or as a big-name brand (I think it was Sony but don't quote me). The differences between the products:

- the big-name had 100% QA testing, the house brand was sample tested;
- they had a different name plate on the front;
- the big-name sold for about 50% more.

Like it or hate it, it's called marketing.
+1

A huge multitude of products are manufactured in a factory, (sure often in China) for major brand names. The only difference between one brand's product and another is the label.

Grief just take car models:

Chevrolet Spark / Opel Karl.
Chevrolet Bolt / Opel Ampera-e.
Chevrolet SS / Holden Commodore
Dodge Dart / Fiat Viaggio
Ford Fusion / Ford Mondeo
Infiniti Q50 & Q60 / Nissan Skyline

I worked in food stuffs (cans and jars) and we often specified (to the producing factory) different brand labels to cater to the different aspects of our market (pricing levels to the supermarket chains reflected the value we believed consumer's valued the brand names.

So take canned peaches. We had 3 different brands, a budget plain label, a reasonably well regarded house rand and a premium brand. The peaches though came from the same orchards and processed in exactly the same factory across the 3 labels. Our price level reflected the brand not the quality, content level, source or production method.

We used to periodically run consumer taste trials (most people were Varsity students or retired). These were always amusing. On blind taste tests there was a fairly flat consumer preference, no one bowl of product any better or worse than another. But with the labels still visible there was invariably a view that the better brand were better peaches.

In reality the major cost of our peaches, and most products I guess was the cost of marketing. Sure there are logistics and inventory, administration and real estate etc, but really; how much do you think it costs to produce a can of coke or a cup of coffee?

Further to my own experience, there wasn't a single can or jar of anything we sold to supermarket chains that was priced for more than a dollar. Yet I'd see our products on shop selves priced at twice, three or even four times our sell price.

I wish I could find a link to the original Penn & Teller episode on bottled water, but this short clip will give you a taste (pun intended) of the episode. To explain: the patrons of a very well regarded LA restaurant were offered a menu of exotically branded and extremely pricey water. All of the bottles were simply filled out back from a tap. You can see the taste testers views in the video, I uses really it reflects our typical bias to appear cool. I make no judgement, I put my legs, one at a time in to my designer jeans like most other people that can so choose.

Old 14-05-2022, 17:17   #11

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In a chandlery, you're basically paying for them to keep 3 or 4 of such niche things around, often for months, for the few boaters who either don't do research, or need/want things yesterday. As opposed to ... Amazon or similar, where turnover is rapid and overhead per item is orders of magnitude smaller.

But, does no-one see any irony in having a 50 ft boat, with a genny and air-conditioning, and complaining about saving $300?

They’re also catering to the skippers who think nothing of coming in and ordering a full set of Musto/HH/etc gear for all members of their crew so that they look good at the starting line of the (insert name here) race.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 20:33   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Here is another example but not marine in nature. Take Hanes white Tshirts. Six pack at Target in US is maybe $12. At Macys same exact shirts and not a different label would be $24. Who’s the fool and who is the winner here?
Old 15-05-2022, 01:47   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Here is another example but not marine in nature. Take Hanes white Tshirts. Six pack at Target in US is maybe $12. At Macys same exact shirts and not a different label would be $24. Who’s the fool and who is the winner here?

Or take a white T shirt , stick some fancy designer name and charge €199

Or glow plugs from Volvo MD2030 €55 each , €15 in a auto shop !!
Old 15-05-2022, 04:14   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In a chandlery, you're basically paying for them to keep 3 or 4 of such niche things around, often for months ...
As an electrical wholesaler [WESCO-Westinghouse], our standard minimum turnover [actually 'ITR'] was 3 turns/year, for inventoried items - fewer turns required a special order.

Inventory Turnover Ratio (ITR) = Cost of goods sold (COGS) ÷ average inventory value
So, if your COGS, for the year, totaled $5,000,000, and your inventory was worth $1,666,000, your ITR would be 3.
So, the ITR depends upon the cost [including storage] of an item, and how often you sell it.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 07:35   #15

Nice find by the OP, btw. Might be worth putting in its own thread with a descriptive title as there are plenty of folks looking for something like that. I monitored e-bay for a year before I was able to get two used versions of the name brand at that price, would have loved to have known about them then!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine