Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 14:13   #16

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Out Da Windows

Like my sailing I don't care much for crashes nor viruses. More into the stability of the Mac OS and catamarans.

Bladerunner is close to done. Hopefully over to the Abacos next month.

Looking to have a backup system to my Raymarine e80 and add the AIS receiver to avoid traffic. Looks like the MacENC is the best answer for me. Heard many great reviews on it and it's only $139.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:13   #17

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I have a Macbook Pro, Intel proc, runs windoze better then most pc laptops, i do use parallels which for you non mac users allows you to run windows and mac simultaneously without rebooting (as a virtual machine, windows runs within osx), honestly I don't think I've loaded any windows programs in months, there's not a single program I personally use that a mac equiv (which is usually better) isn't available, but I must confess I don't do anything sailing related on my mac I like paper charts and my chartplotter. Even my logitech remote has mac software for programming it.

I don't have to download constant updates, i don't have to pay for virus software, battery life is AMAZING, when i open it "poof" my desktop is instantly there, no sleeping, crashing, locking, standbye, goodbye... crap No more uninstalling programs that leave crap all over the place if they eventually uninstall. No installing drivers, I plug stuff in it just works.

I have a unix background and I honestly have no idea why I ever owned pc's except for the lower price I cant think of one single advantage to a windoze pc. Oh and Safari is the world's greatest browser.

PS I hate ipods
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 03:45   #18

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jennings View Post
I'm especially interested in hearing suggestions from people who can't find specific software for Macintosh computers.
How about at all?

Professional BoatBuilder - August/September 2007

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07   #19

Current indication on MacENC?

I've been using PC, just purchased new Mac. Looking at whether to use my old standby, Nobeltec, w/ the Mac under Bootcamp, or to purchase MacENC. I downloaded the free demo, and don't see how to overlay the current arrows as Nobeltec. I really like this feature. Am I missing something w/ my demo copy, or does Mr. Tides provide this kind of graphic overlay on chart? Any real advantages to MacENC over Nobeltec which would make me want to switch?

Thanks, and I apologize if this has been answered on this site previously, but I didn't see it.

Adam
sv Bravo
Seattle
AdamK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25   #20

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
I'd say, and i did make a partition with VM ware and run windows for that matter, Ther eis another plus to it. Since you dedicate only that part of you mac to Charting and plotting and Gribs, there is no bugs, no harm and no hassle with conflict in your system. Works great and... CMaps can be free for most of what I know. Copy paste, run!
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote