Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 05:53   #1

Lensun semiflexible panels problems - not good products

Premise:
As I mentioned in other posts I am an electrician who has always worked in the civil photovoltaic field, but living in a sea area recently I have approached the electric field in boating and above all the installations of PV and wind power plants in sailboats.
That said, I miss a lot of nautical experience, less in the photovoltaic field. Initially following some forums for the first installations for my clients I used Solbian panels and Lensun panels, later I moved on to Fly Solartech.

In any case, since the first orders with Lensun I have noticed high quality deficiencies that I did not notice with solbian. In fact, two years after the installation of these products, I find that many do not work anymore and Lensun turned deaf ears no longer responding to emails:

So without any controversy I tested those Lensun products with problems and this is the result:

1. Modules with whole cells and with cut cells;

Defects on whole-cell modules are attributable to welding in the JB, while for the modules with cut cells, there appears to be problems with internal welding.

The welding between the panel coming from the panel and JB's contact is not performed correctly. As we can see in the picture below "wrong welding", welding is performed in the opposite way to good practice ("welding" image), leading to problems of "it works / does not work" diagnosed by my clients. A problem of contact stability and mechanical stress.
The gel inside the JB does not protect against mechanical stress, bringing electrical contact (under certain conditions) to "work" in compression and traction, loosening or even breaking it.
In the modules with cut cells, I tested with the tester and there is no production of V and I. There must be an internal interruption due to a welding between the totally incorrect cells.

1. IP Grade
The IP grade declared by the various JBs is not respected: can be inserted a screwdriver between the cable and the JB (photo "JB no IP65") and the cable (photo "wrong connector") lacks the cable gland (pictured in "other producer connector. "). In my opinion, a module with a lower IP degree is subject to the aggressiveness of weather elements, including humidity (it is not necessary for the module to get wet for problems) and the salt atmosphere (Typical of coastal areas) and of the normal applications of these panels for nautical use.
  1. Components
    I found a 2.5mm2 section cable to enter a 4mm2 JB; MC4-compatible connectors with loose or open clamps (in addition to the aforementioned lack of cable gland), JB caps are almost always without internal gasket (hence no IP65 or IP67 - photo JB no gasket). An early deterioration of the module, as well as potential safety issues.

I have performed demo videos that I will upload as soon as possible. They define the products as high quality and not cheap, they are definitely not “high quality” and certainly not so cheap.
    Lensun staff are very good at selling, but when there is a problem they disappear, and they do not have to comply with any guarantees as it is a Chinese company with no European branch . For that reason It 'impossible to retaliate against them. No economic sense. Excluding cheap Chinese products, Solbian and Fly Solartech are more powerful and safe products.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Welding JB.png
Views:	167
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	153348   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong connector.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	153350  

Name:	Fly Solartech connector.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	153351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jb without gasket.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	153352  

Name:	wrong welding.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	153353  
Attached Images

Sailsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 16:14   #2

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Lensun semiflexible panels problems - not good products

I had many as similar problems with Italian GiocoSolutions

No generation of V/I and a loose module, with aggravation of a close to Solbian cost.!! Since time Zero....

To me, flexible is a scrap nonsense, anyway. Charlatans' products from green brains
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 16:28   #3

How about quality of Fly Solartech ETFE panels? Maybe someone tried SUNBEAMsystem Tough Surface panels? Marine – SUNBEAMsystem.com
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 15:29   #4

Fly Solartech panels are made in China https://www.instagram.com/p/BL77G_NBlRk/
Old 07-08-2017, 17:33   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And what? So are iPhones.

I personally think anything over $1 per watt should have good QA, but nothing will convince me the pricing on Solbian, Gioco, Solara or Aurinco is worth it.

Just like batteries sometimes the best economy is going cheap and replacing more often.

Sure OK maybe Lensun is bad, not claiming otherwise, but paying 7x more is to me just not worth it, I'll look for better quality in the lower tier vendors.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:52   #6

So nothing. Personally then checking info on Home - Fly Solartech it looks like they are Italian made.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:19   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username25 View Post
So nothing. Personally then checking info on Home - Fly Solartech it looks like they are Italian made.

"Designed in Italy" To me means "made in China".

Nothing wrong with that, if you have the right QC in place. Leave the QC to the manufacturing facility though and you have very irregular quality coming out.

Case in point. Apple phones are "designed in California".
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
"Designed in Italy" To me means "made in China".

Nothing wrong with that, if you have the right QC in place. Leave the QC to the manufacturing facility though and you have very irregular quality coming out.

Case in point. Apple phones are "designed in California".
When I bought the poly versions, I noticed they were branded "made in Europe" with the address of the place of production etc etc. Then I asked the sales agent from whom I had bought them and he explained to me that sunpower ones are made for Fly Solartech from another company and only mono and poly were made directly from them. I guess it's a matter of cost . I've attached to the technical datasheet pic they sent me ( I don't know how to attach PDFs) .

My experience with them is very good, especially for poly. They're just a little slow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture datasheet.PNG
Views:	154
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	153650  
Old 08-08-2017, 07:21   #9
cruiser

And almost all PV at the solar cell level are made in China, in nearly 100% automated fabs.

The **panel** assembly can be done locally with SunPower cells.

Many cell packs for sale in bulk direct to consumers, and panels for that matter, are the QA **rejects**.

Which is why a trusted **vendor** can actually make more of a difference than the manufacturer.

But their support is not free, and unless local, just shipping a bad panel back can cost more than the panel is worth.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
But their support is not free, and unless local, just shipping a bad panel back can cost more than the panel is worth.
That's sure.. that's why on my first post on this thread I said " Lensun turned deaf ears" bacause they are chinese.. So, if they want they don't give any REAL warranty.. With Eu companies (producers but even resellers) you have 2yrs and there are many ways to make it respected (surely more than with Chinese producers/reseller)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56   #11

Quote:

Sure OK maybe Lensun is bad, not claiming otherwise, but paying 7x more is to me just not worth it, I'll look for better quality in the lower tier vendors.

I totally agree with you about prices! I mean paying that much for Solbian and Gioco (Gioco:Never tried but heard very badly speaking) It makes no sense when you can have the same products at a much lower price. That was what I had thought at the beginning, for that reason I had bought Lensun. But trust me that I've lost a lot more money than buying a Solbian directly.

Anyway, sorry if my next phrase may seem a bit nationalistic, but Lensun and Fly Solartech (European version) have the same prices (indeed it costs less Fly). And then I prefer to have a guarantee, and pay the salary to honest and European people! With this I don't want to make any endorsement to Fly or any other European producer, it's just a personal choice.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:27   #12

Sailsgood, what do you think about Sunbeamsystem tough panels with flush cable? Marine – SUNBEAMsystem.com

I do not really believe this EU crap about 2 years warranty. Just had recent situation and if seller is a scumbag, the only way is going to the court. But would you do this for few hundred euros?
Old 08-08-2017, 15:30   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsgood View Post
That's sure.. that's why on my first post on this thread I said " Lensun turned deaf ears" bacause they are chinese.. So, if they want they don't give any REAL warranty.. With Eu companies (producers but even resellers) you have 2yrs and there are many ways to make it respected (surely more than with Chinese producers/reseller)
But a better quality Chinese brand sold by a trusted **local** vendor. I'm in the US, so an EU seller is no good to me.

And EU mfg vs Chinese mfg, I'm looking at least seven times the price per watt.

Look at the seller's rep for service first, get low price choices next (not the lowest!) factor in shipping expense, then third priority, try for better mfg quality within those choices.

For me anyway.
Old 09-08-2017, 00:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username25 View Post
Sailsgood, what do you think about Sunbeamsystem tough panels with flush cable? Marine – SUNBEAMsystem.com
Seems an interesting thing, but I've never seen one. My doubts are; Solidity of the system, and lack of internal bypass diodes . But it seems to me a good idea, I just want to try them at the first available plant. Do you have any idea of prices?
Old 09-08-2017, 00:46   #15

Quote:
But a better quality Chinese brand sold by a trusted **local** vendor. I'm in the US, so an EU seller is no good to me.

And EU mfg vs Chinese mfg, I'm looking at least seven times the price per watt.

Look at the seller's rep for service first, get low price choices next (not the lowest!) factor in shipping expense, then third priority, try for better mfg quality within those choices.

For me anyway.
As I said, everyone is right to make their own opinion, the only thing I said above, if you buy a good product first you are already in the middle of the work. And you can't understand the quality just from the price (Lensun ).

On one thing I fully agree with you; if buying from a local retailer is more plausible that he care much more about his client because are local (replacing the panel) in order to have a good word of mouth from your customers.

Tags
panels