Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 18:13   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Jeppesen NT+ Data Coverage

I recently purchased a NA-C301 data card which I chose based on data provided on the Jeppesen web site regarding the coverage area. When I received the card and put it in my plotter I had no chart data for Narraganset bay or Block Island though the web site listed numerous charts of those areas the chip was supposed to contain. I called Jeppesen Technical support and they confirmed that the NA-C301 card did not in fact contain that data despite what the web site said. They suggested that I buy an additional card for $199 to get the data that I thought I had already purchased. The card data was last updated in 2011. You might have thought they could have managed to put accurate information on the card contents on their web site by now. Since Jeppesen has a monopoly on the CMAP NT series of data cards, unless you want to buy a new chartplotter that doesn't use this format, you need to be very careful when ordering a new card, especially if you need the data near the edges of the coverage area. I'm not sure that even asking technical support will get you an accurate answer since it took the tech I got some time to research the contents. He did not know of the inaccuracy of the web site until he actually checked at my request.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 11:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jeppesen NT+ Data Coverage

Captain Bill,

Hello!

My name is Brandy Power and I am writing from Jeppesen Support. First, I am sorry to hear about the coverage challenges you faced and I hope to offer my support.

I reviewed our online catalog and see that it is updated to reflect the latest release from Summer 2012. http://ww1.jeppesen.com/index.jsp

C-MAP chart NA-C301.31, titled ‘Passamaquoddy Bay to Nantucket’ does include full and partial coverage of hundreds of charts. I can certainly understand that seeing a chart titled ‘Narragansett Bay RI-MA’ (1:40,000) could lead one in thinking that the entire source chart was included, however, this is not always so. At the top of the list of charts it is noted: “This chart composition contains complete or partial information from the following paper charts.”

I hope you understand that we try our best to provide all the necessary details that will help in making the best coverage choices. If the information provided caused just the opposite, then I apologize and will take steps to clarify the possibility of full vs. partial coverage.

In the meantime, if there is still concern for what coverage would be best or if you wish to simply talk; then I welcome you to contact me directly at 800-424-2627 x594360 or brandy.power@jeppesen.com.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Sincerely,

Brandy Power
JeppesenSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 07:18   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have just visited your web page again today and found that it does now contain the correct data. This is not the data that was displayed at the time I wrote the review. In looking around your web page I was in fact able to find the data that was displayed when I wrote the review. It is now shown at the bottom of the current coverage map page listed as Older Map Versions. I probably should have realized the link was bad as the selection map said Chart Catalog Release 2011. In any case a few more clicks got me to this page;
C-MAP NT+ & NT+/PC Coverage - North America East Coast and Rivers (M-NA-C301) | Light Marine | Jeppesen

As you can see by comparing this list with the list now displayed on your web site for this chart there is a substantial difference in the coverage of Narragansett Bay and Block Island. Specifically this area is essentially no longer covered by this chart. I realize there are challenges fitting a lot of chart data into these older cartridges, but I would like to point out that I will never update a chart cartridge from Jeppesen ever again. The simple reason is that I cannot be assured I'm getting like for like. Once I get a card that has the coverage I need I'll never update it because it is highly unlikely that the update will contain the same coverage. For instance if I had a 2011 version of NA C301 and bought the 2012 update I would have lost the coverage for Narragansett Bay. I have several older cards that could be updated, but your coverage changes are so extensive that I would loose coverage I have now. It may seem like a good revenue generating strategy to force the purchase of more cards, but I would think that most people are like me and use the chart data only for crude navigation and use government electronic charts for real navigation and cutting your revenue stream.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:39   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeppesenSupport View Post

I hope you understand that we try our best to provide all the necessary details that will help in making the best coverage choices. If the information provided caused just the opposite, then I apologize and will take steps to clarify the possibility of full vs. partial coverage.

Sincerely,

Brandy Power

Hmmm, "...will take steps to clarify...". How about taking steps to fix the issue caused by the lack of clarity in the first place?

For example, just send the guy the few charts he needs to make up the coverage lost. Minimal hard cost to Jeppesen and maybe a happy customer (which will pay dividends when you consider how many of your customers and potential customers frequent this forum).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote