Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2014, 11:56   #1

Boat: St Francis 50
Angry Jabsco 18590-2092 Macerator Waste Pump

My advice is that you do not buy this pump.
I have two of these on our 2009 built Catamaran. The originals built then were probably ok. In May this year I purchased a service kit for the port side pump because the studs holding it together had failed. A few days after that one of the studs of the Starboard unit failed and I found half of the stud laying in the bilge. To Jabscos credit they sent me some replacement studs.
In spite of the many bad reports of similar failures I purchased a new unit in July to carry as a spare prior to a 2000 mile round trip to Nova Scotia. I did not want the hassle of fitting a unit with different mountings while on passage in case one of the pumps failed. In early September I replaced the port unit with the new spare I had purchased. A few days ago I found half of the stud of the new unit laying in the bilge. It had lasted less than 3 months. Still under warranty it will go back for a refund and not a replacement of the same Jabsco pump.
My guess is that the manufacturer of the pumps has down graded the quality of the material used to make the studs to make a fee extra cents profit on each pump. Their few extra cents profit costs us a major hassle and any $$$$.
Avoid this pump until Jabsco make the stud out of stainless steel or better material.
Regards Ian
IanClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 00:37   #2

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: Jabsco 18590-2092 Macerator Waste Pump

I know exactly what your concern is with the studs parting. I found some all thread bar of the same thread size in stainless to replace the BRASS studs that Jabsco use. Cheap as chips solution!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 13:28   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Same here.
I made stainless replacements from all thread from the hardware store.
No problem since.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 15:37   #4

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

I have one of these pumps that I bought new 2 years ago. I am just finishing off the building of my boat, so the pump has sat in its box for these years, prior to installing yesterday.

Luckily, I tested the tank for leaks by filling it with clean water. And guess what? It was leaking, and on removing the pump, I found two of the studs broken. Never used! Never dirty! No warranty.

It seems that these brass studs are corroded where they are seated in plastic. They are covered with a clear grease, and in places the brass has gone green.

Because of where the studs have snapped, I don't think I can remove the broken pieces in order to replace them.

I'm not buying Jabsco again!
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco