Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2019, 03:47   #1

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
Interprotect 2000 question

Hi,
I have grinded and filled tons of blisters with West System 105/205. I have sanded the hull but there is still some shiny epoxy showing up. I'm through grinding!
I plan to apply 4 coats of Interprotect 2000 before two coats of Micron CSC.

Will the Interprotect 2000 stick on the shiny dried up epoxy?

the boat is a Catalina 27.
the hull surface is like an orange..... no smooth racing hull!
Thanks
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 04:27   #2

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Interprotect 2000 question

The shiny part of the epoxy will have amine blush which is a waxy like film, and that will need to be washed off, otherwise adhesion will be compromised. Just use soap and warm water, and give her bottom a good bath followed by a good rinse, then let her dry and you will be good to go.

I am right there with you, doing the same thing at this very moment.
https://www.facebook.com/1968.Columb...type=3&theater
Old 23-05-2019, 05:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
The shiny part of the epoxy will have amine blush which is a waxy like film, and that will need to be washed off, otherwise adhesion will be compromised. Just use soap and warm water, and give her bottom a good bath followed by a good rinse, then let her dry and you will be good to go.

Great job on Siren!
My fillings with hardened epoxy are cured no amine blush... just a hard shiny coating..... my question is: will the Interprotect 2000 (epoxy barrier coat) stick to my shiny cured epoxy fillings. I would hate to do more sanding. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_134732.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	192574   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_134758.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	192575  

Old 23-05-2019, 05:45   #4

If you used a specifically "no amine blush" epoxy, or peel ply, there will be amine blush, and it will affect bonding. Amine blush is the result of drying West Systems epoxy...and many others.

https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...e-preparation/
Old 23-05-2019, 11:52   #5

Quote:

Thanks, the problem is that I didn't know anything about the amine blust before your alerted me.... Now I know, I watched videos and read your links....
I don't think that West Marine was very clear about it on their 105/205?
Anyway, I had grinded almost all the glossy (Almine Blush)…. I just grinded down the amine blush down the epoxy according to what I read.
What a waste of time on my part.
I have to recover. How? with minimun sanding?
Old 24-05-2019, 04:19   #6

Since the amine blush is now sanded, and most likely into and onto the adjacent areas, just scrub down with water(or soapy warm water-my preference)and a scouring pad, and rinse off..not bad in the scheme of things.

You will not spend that much time on it...me...I over-analyze things and spend more time on research than on the actual project sometimes...working on a boat is a learning curve, we all have to climb that curve. I'd rather do something once than learn from a mistake, and have to do it again. Either way, we're still learning.
Old 24-05-2019, 09:36   #7

Quote:
Since the amine blush is now sanded, and most likely into and onto the adjacent areas, just scrub down with water(or soapy warm water-my preference)and a scouring pad, and rinse off..not bad in the scheme of things.

You will not spend that much time on it...me...I over-analyze things and spend more time on research than on the actual project sometimes...working on a boat is a learning curve, we all have to climb that curve. I'd rather do something once than learn from a mistake, and have to do it again. Either way, we're still learning.
thanks.... will scrub, wash, rinse.... make a lot of sense. I hope that Iwill get rid of 99.9% of amine blush before starting my Interprotect 2000 applications.
I'm pretty sure that I will contact you again. Interprotect is very intimidating with all these recoating time windows and these dew points restrictions!
Like you I read a lot but obviously not enough since I missed the amine blush issue!
Thanks again
Old 24-05-2019, 09:58   #8

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

When I applied five coats of Interlux Interprotect 2000E epoxy barrier coat to by 2000 380 Searay Sundancer, I used the Blair Equipment Tornado II portable paint shaker.

It is an invaluable tool when painting the bottom of the boat.

The 2000E specifies mixing individual components first, then mixing together. The paint shaker is great for all that mixing. I give a full timer twist for the gallon of solid only, then another full twist for mixing the two parts together.

My experience in my high-temperature climate was that my pot life was insufficient for mixing a full gallon at a time, so I did half gallon batches and that worked out great.

Follow the instructions!

Good luck. Have fun.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 04:37   #9

Ferra,

Interlux has a great set of instructions on their website..follow those instructions, and make sure you do the prep, you will be happier for it
in the end. Good Luck!

Tags
rot