Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 15:31   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Induction stoves for boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
How about a small microwave? You'd only run it for a minute or two at a time. You can certainly make hot cocoa. Not fried eggs, but if you like poached, these work pretty well:

We're finding all kinds of ways to avoid using the electric range (and genset) by using the microwave.
Microwave is incredibly useful on a boat, even a smaller one with less power. We had one even on the previous boat, way back in the last century, without a generator, and it was not hard to power.

I cook eggs in that very device, in my micro. Works great!

I did some electric cooking on my boat, when I was having trouble getting gas -- using a normal non-induction hot plate. It worked fine on the inverter with full batteries, or crank up the genny. No big deal. And on shore power obviously you don't even notice it.

It all depends on your power system of course. If your system is sized to deal with other AC loads (we have washer/dryer, microwave, etc.), then I don't powering electric cooking is going to be a big problem. If not, then it will be a big problem. YMMV.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:16   #17

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Question is what setting do you need to cook your eggs in 10 minutes? Is the halfway setting hot enough and does it use 1000w?
Made a test..
With an induction plate I set the temperature to 100C. The plates are 1800w and 1300w. With 1800w plate it takes 3 min to get 0.5l water to boil. After that it warms in intervals like 2s on 10s off, some more in the beginning and less in the end when all the parts of the pot and eggs have warmed up. So to hard boil a half a dozen eggs it takes about 0.15kwh or 14Ah out of the house batteries.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 00:05   #18

Boat: no boat any more

& of course in the case of available shorepower some electrical cooking devices would help saving gas. (& keep the air below "fresher")
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:09   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Made a test..
With an induction plate I set the temperature to 100C. The plates are 1800w and 1300w. With 1800w plate it takes 3 min to get 0.5l water to boil.

BR Teddy
Teddy,

How does that compare in time to boiling 0.5L of water in a small mains voltage kettle?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 14:45   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Teddy,

How does that compare in time to boiling 0.5L of water in a small mains voltage kettle?

Pete
In time the induction is faster but not as energy efficient as the kettle (for various reasons). When induction took 3:00 with 1800w the kettle took 3:30 with 1000w, anyway the ones I have..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 16:14   #21

Boat: Sabre 38

I typed this on the other thread, but I'll just copy it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Long story short, my boat came with CNG, which needed to be changed out because I am leaving the US. I could have gone propane, but I went electric.

I pointed out the Nuwave induction cooktop and Breville Smart Oven earlier on this thread because it is what I have and use. One day when I have more data, I'll make a more detailed post about my experience, but right now, here are some rough stats. I don't think the requirements are as high as most assume. With a bigger generator, I could easily see using a 2 or 3 cooktop range and oven.

Bank has 645 amp hours at 12 volts. Generator is a Honda 2000. Inverter is a 2k Victron (with Power Assist, which is the key to this working with my small generator).

Both the Nuwave induction cooktop and Breville Smart Oven have a max pull of 1800 watts at 120 volts. The cooktop has more or less a linear scale from how high you set the temperature to how much power it uses. The max temp is rated at 650F, so 350F, a good cooking temperature, uses 900 watts. 230F, good for keeping a boil, uses less and holding a low simmer even less.

Running the induction cooktop at 350F, a temperature good for most items, 150 amps are pulled from the bank. If my bank is fairly full, I don't turn on the generator for this, which is nice as this is how I often cook for breakfast and lunch. If I want to sear at a higher temperature, like 500F+ for a steak dinner, the generator comes on.

The Smart Oven isn't as smart as I'd wish because at any temperature it just goes all out at 1600 watts and regulates itself (while baking or roasting) by turning on for one second and off for two. Toasting pulls 1800 watts for the whole time (this isn't an efficient toaster at all). Broiling pulls 1600 watts for the whole cooking time.

The oven is best run with the generator because the pre-heat phase pulls 175 amps for 5+ minutes straight. Afterwards, when the oven flips on and off, the Victron alternates between Power Assisting (when the oven is on) and charging the bank (when the oven is off).

Running the generator is obviously required when using both the oven and cooktop. Running both at the same time peaks at 3000 watts, with roughly 1700 watts from the generator and the remainder from the bank. I let the oven pre-heat before using the cooktop to avoid the 3000 watt pull for other than the one second spikes when the oven flips on. Letting the generator run for 30 minutes after all the cooking is done brings be up to about where I started (other than if I started at 95%+ of SOC).

The following are some measurements I have taken using the Victron battery monitor, so they are all what comes out of the bank (that is, they include the inverter loss):

- Using the cooktop for 15 minutes at 350F, which is generally about what it takes for breakfast (coffee, eggs, toast via a skillet, etc.) uses about 20-25 amp hours.

- This is also about the same for dinners where you're just searing or sautéing meat and veggies (so roughly 20 amp hours each, for 40 total). If you're doing a longer simmer, the amp hours increases some. Searing at a higher temperature seems a less efficient (uses more amp hours to reach the same level of done-ness), but only slightly.

- I have gotten down making three days worth of black beans in about 20 amp hours using a pressure cooker (mostly used to bring the top up to pressure).

- The oven takes 5 minutes to heat up to 350F (it's smaller than your average oven, but I could still bake a whole chicken or a 9x13 pan). The pre-heat phase takes 15 amp hours. Each additional 5 minutes takes 5 amp hours (before taking into account the fact that the Victron actually allows me to charge during this phase).

- Because the oven is small and has a convection fan, food cooks faster in it than you are use to. I can roast veggies and bake muffins using less than 30 amp hours (again, without taking into account any charging). I haven't roasted a big piece of meat yet). Higher oven temperatures also seem slightly less efficient (again, amp hours used to reach the same level of done-ness).

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:30   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Just ordered this one
http://www.elbaphilippines.com/store...45-004_IS.html
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Just ordered this one
E 345-004 IS
7.2kW yowza!

That one would be too much for my inverter (and for my shore power, and even for my generator . . . ). But I think they make them with some kind of clever limitation on total max power draw.

I guess if you had a 10kW+ generator, and planned to use the cooktop only when the generator is running, it would be ok. Or take a couple of knobs off it when you use it with other power sources.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:40   #24
CF Adviser

It is at the max of my 30a breakers and my 10kw Northern Lights Gen will be fine

I chose this one because it fits perfectly in the Smeg gas cooktop cutout.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491996988972.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	145189

Originally, I was going to choose either a 2 or 3 hob unit but found the cost difference negligible and in reality for us in the tropics, we never have 4 heating elements going at one time....usually just two
Old 12-04-2017, 05:40   #25

Does this cooktop have the ability to limit the Amps it draws? I know that some appliances like Aircons in Asia can be Amp limited by setting dip switches to 16 Amps etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It is at the max of my 30a breakers and my 10kw Northern Lights Gen will be fine

I chose this one because it fits perfectly in the Smeg gas cooktop cutout.
Attachment 145189

Originally, I was going to choose either a 2 or 3 hob unit but found the cost difference negligible and in reality for us in the tropics, we never have 4 heating elements going at one time....usually just two
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:06   #26

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
7.2kW yowza!

That one would be too much for my inverter (and for my shore power, and even for my generator . . . ). But I think they make them with some kind of clever limitation on total max power draw.

I guess if you had a 10kW+ generator, and planned to use the cooktop only when the generator is running, it would be ok. Or take a couple of knobs off it when you use it with other power sources.

The 7.2kW would be with all the burners running full blast. How often does that happen when cooking normally? Even if it did for a short period of time (like a minute), your Victron's really couldn't Power Assist the difference?

With one full blast and two at half throttle (i.e., normal cooking), you'll be closer to 3.5kW, more than manageable for you I bet. Just trying to point out that the average drawl from these induction cooktops when actually cooking is much less than the max.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:47   #27

Cut n Paste from the NEFF UK website - see the first line - some of these cooktops can be limited to 10, 13, 16amps... which could be very useful.

4.6kW power output (20A); current management options for 16A, 13A or 10A connection
Safety cut out facility
Control panel lock
Control panel suspension
Keep warm function
Energy consumption display
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
-
Cooking zones: 1 x Ø 180 mm, 1.8 KW (max. Power levels 3.1 KW) Induction; 1 x Ø 180 mm, 1.8 KW (max. Power levels 3.1 KW) Induction; 1 x Ø 145 mm, 1.4 KW (max. Power levels 2.2 KW) Induction;1 x Ø 210 mm, 2.2 KW (max. Power levels 3.7 KW) Induction
Measurement: (H/B/T) 51 x 592 x 522 mm
Installation dimensions: (ID/W/D) 51 mm x 560 mm x 490 mm
60 cm width
Length wire connection: 110 cm
Main switch
Min. worktop thickness: 30 mm
Output 7400 W
Cable included in packagin
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
7.2kW yowza!

Booster power is only for boiling water, you normally cook with a max of 1500w and average 800.
For a boat however I would say 2 elements are enough, 4 is too much. Dials and not touch control as in a storm dials work better. I have a Miele https://www.go-electrical.co.uk/cook...-hob-29cm.html
With 400w solar and a propshaft generator, I don't use my Generator and I have no gas.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 15:39   #29
CF Adviser

Hi Fuss,
I liked the same Miele you bought but it was not available in the Philippines

2 cooking zones are enough for our style of cooking, but ocasionally having one more available for simmer... or just a continuous clean surface for prep was what my partner preferred.
And her cooking skills are much better than mine
Old 12-04-2017, 16:56   #30

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"

It is not the amount of power required to do your cooking it's the amount of energy which is power x time. Induction heating and microwave ovens works with a battery powered inverter system however the induction heating units require sine wave power inverters the other units will not work. The real answer is that yes induction heating units are efficient in terms of minimal time required to do the job

Tags
boat