Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2006, 02:12   #1

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
Gori Prop Problem

Please be advised of a problem with Gori Propellers and their US distributor, AB Marine. The propeller can spin off and be lost. We lost ours while maneuvering to anchor in a harbor in Turkey. We notified AB-Marine immediately by email and telephone and left a voice mail message. Since the initial notifications, we have emailed them six times and called three times. They have never responded to any of these messages. After five weeks we were finally able to reach someone at AB Marine.

AB Marine and Gori Propeller have denied that this occurrence is a warranty issue. They claim that the prop can spin off only if it hits something or is installed improperly. I personally installed the propeller six months ago in the US. I know it was properly installed in accordance with the printed instructions provided with the propeller and we did not hit anything with it.

As I understand their position, if the propeller was installed properly then it cannot come off. Ironically, they claim in their brochure “Shaped Blade vs. Flat Blade Comparison” dated January 2005, that the propeller is so easy to install that “there is no chance of a mistake” and “it can be easily installed/removed underwater.” If the propeller is so easy to install that there is no chance of a mistake and then spins off, then logic suggests the reason it came off should not be one of improper installation. They cannot have it both ways.

I know this seems like sour grapes, but when I pay $2800 for a product, I expect to hear back from the company when I write and call repeatedly about a serious problem. Failing to respond to any correspondence for over a month is inexcusable. Be forewarned, if you buy from AB Marine or Gori Propellers and have a warranty or service issue – forget it. They only want your money. They do not care about you once they get it.

Gary
S/Y Vingilot
Lying Marmaris, Turkey
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 04:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
Gori Prop Problem

I have had a very similar occurance with Gori in the US. In my case I had a pivot pin fail on a 2 year old, two blade Gori prop causing me to lose the blade. The local rep initially agreed to help handle the claim for Gori but then Gori insisted that the propeller be shipped to the factory ($240 shipping) before they would consider the claim. Dispite the local dealer agreeing that the pin had clearly failed after examining the prop, Gori refused to accept any responsibility. They now had my old prop and so I was forced to buy a new prop and pay shipping.

I also thought that Jensen (who now reps Flexifold) was next to useless, refusing to provide any meaningful help with the factory.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 05:17   #3

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
If you think Autoprop is any better at standing behind their product - I can assure you from personal experience that they are not.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 05:43   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I think I'll stick with my three blade fixed prop. I see quite a few cruisers with folding and variable pitch props but don't think the trade off between an extra half a knot sailing and less prop walk and the possibility of problems due to their compexity is worth it.
Old 18-10-2006, 05:54   #5

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
After our Autoprop/strut failure we went back to fixed blade. Our logic was that it can't be good to have something with moving parts, that requires regular preventative maintenance below the water. Fixed blades are tried and true - no maintenance. As for performance, we do notice helm is much less responsive in reverse. The folding prop really grabbed in reverse. As for speed, we haven't really been in a situation to compare since we put it back in the water. I assume that we must lose a bit of speed - especially in light air.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 06:15   #6

The idea of complexity and the possibility for failure and the need for more maintainance in an area hard to get to baffles me. Of course, these devices provide some increased efficiency and do make sense for racers who want to squeeze every last tenth of a know from their boats... but this seems an odd choice for a crusing yacht when you do a cost / benefit / maintenance / risk analysis.

We've had a faily large 2 blade fixed for 21 yrs and it's been trouble free. I did sail on a similar yacht folding prop.. same maker, same underbody more or less... and saw absolutely no difference on a 1,800 mile delivery. That was evidence enough that it was not worth the "cost".

I would like to hear about some dramatic improvements and also what sort of fixed prop was on before?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 06:45   #7

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
Thank you for your comments. It was not my purpose to debate fixed props vs. folding/feathering, but.... We had a three blade fixed prop that had significant prop walk. The Gori did not and I liked that. The Gori also had more power in reverse because the blades spun around and "bit" just like in forward. However, I'm going back to a fixed three blade prop for all the reasons stated above and I will live with the prop walk. We are in the Med and backing into a med mooring is tricky at best - I just didn't want the aggravations of the prop walk to contend with as well. Can't have everything.

Gary
S/Y Vingilot
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 06:58   #8

Prop walk in reverse is something to consider. Fact is I rarely DO reverse! Shiva is at anchor or on a mooring and only dockside for fuel and water and in a slip for winter storage... and I don't back (but i do need to back out).

I use the prop walk to maneuver the boat TO the dock and when departing my winter slip I usually walk the boat out and then jump aboard and don't do much reverse.. certainly no straight line meneuvering. Usually the conditions are with little or no wind and the controlling factor is the current which runs through the marina!

If I DID have to do a lot of backing down... I suppose I would practice and get my "chops" down. What I do know is that in backing down it is far better to use "bursts" of throttle.. than to try to move in reverse at low throttle. This technique seems to defeat some of the prop walk somewhat? Is defeating prop walk when in reverse the main reason crusiers are using there props?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 14:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It seems this thread started off on a bad note yet has drifted back to a reasonable subject. Sometimes it really works that way. Some times it goes the other.

Just a reminder to all participants. We at Cruisers Forum prefer that threads about "She done him wrong" not be posted here. By that we mean you can't use Cruisers forum to lay accusations / revenge when a vendor is unresponsive to your problem. If you want to put someone out of business then go some place else - period. Bad stuff happens to nice people.

It's not that we don't care but we sure are in no position to help you get even and we don't want to be accused of it either. When accusations fly the innocent get injured (that might be us). Since we own the place we make the rules. We do try to be as even handed as much as possible. It's not censorship it's the law in these waters.

I really hate being the bad guy so please think before you post.

It's clearly appropriate to continue this discussion. Personally, I prefer a fixed 3 blade connected to a big engine.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 16:54   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

How is the installation of a Gori any different from any other prop?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 17:08   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42
As the owner of a 2-blade Gori Prop, I'd certainly like to know the specifics of what failed and led to the loss of the Prop. Also, for what it's worth, we found the people at Gori to be very responsive when we had a problem with our prop.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 11:58   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I found the original post extremely helpful. I'm installing a prop that looks exactly like a Gori and hopefully I will make the installation like the instructions that come with a Gori. I will take extra precautions to make certain the nut can not back off the propshaft because of the post and hopefully that will prevent me from loosing a prop.
That to me is extremely helpful and worth all the time and effort I spend here on the forum.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 12:01   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Add to last post. I believe the prop is a Gori but don't know for certain because I bought it on eBay as second hand even though it was never installed. Anyone have Gori installation instructions?
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 12:17   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Interestingly enough, the Gori home web site http://www.gori-propeller.dk has no downloads listed on their download page, and no hint of installation or maintenance instructions for their props.

OTOH, www.geocities.com/bill_dietrich/BoatEngine.html has some extensive comments about Gori from multiple people/places. I must say, it gives the impression that whatever is going on, these props are not getting rave reviews. Apparently there is a crucial plastic connection to the hub, a mysterious "overdrive" feature, a question of big/vs/little nuts...

It ain't just another bolt-on prop, whatever it is. And the remarks attributed to Gori leave the distinct impression that something smells in Denmark.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 12:38   #15
Kai Nui

Gary, I will also pose this question to you, do you have any indication why the prop came off? Did you locate it, and have you inspected it since this occurance? More information about the failure would be very helpfull for those of considering purchasing this product.