Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Good Drones for Cruisers?

I intended to buy a drone for my boat the last time I was in the U.S. in November, but ran out of time and never did it.

Now seeing the spectacular drone videos posted in a video about the Faroe Islands recently, my interest in acquiring and learning to use one of this has been renewed.

But never having used one of these devices, I don't really know what to look for. I had my eye on this one:

https://www.dji.com/mavic

The DJI Mavic Pro, reasonable price, folding so good for storing on a boat, and well reviewed.

But is this suitable? Fast enough to keep up with a boat under sail? Enough range to not get lost at sea? Apparently no drones are actually waterproof, so if you get them in the water, they're dead.

I would be grateful for shared knowledge.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:02   #2

Boat: Nord Star 32 patrol
Re: Good Drones for Cruisers?

The Mavic should be more than good enough. (Used by the SV Delos crew:https://www.youtube.com/user/briantrautman).

Personally I have the Phantom 3 Advanced. The Mavic is smaller, have extended flight times and easier to store than the Phantom models. If I should buy today, I would seriously considered the Mavic.
Trond123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:06   #3

Boat: Amel 50

I just read that GoPro is getting out of the drone business.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...d-layoffs-exit

Just FYI.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I just read that GoPro is getting out of the drone business.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...d-layoffs-exit

Just FYI.
I'm not sure how that's relevant, other than maybe prices will go up with less competition. How about the Mavic Pro? Is it a reasonable choice, or are there better ones for our purposes?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:59   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

It might be wise to look into Drone Users Forums, No? E.g. you might try 23 Best Quadcopter Blogs, Forums and YouTube Channels • LearningRC
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:33   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Take a look at the Splash Drone. I think it’s the only one designed to take off and land in water.
https://www.urbandrones.com/?gclid=E...SAAEgK16vD_BwE
Old 08-01-2018, 11:37   #7

Mavic is dominant because they're easy to fly, good performance and the simulator is great for practicing. Must read calibration manual.

GoPro drones are garbage. Were garbage from the moment they were introduced because they decided to try and package a handheld gimbal and use their camera - as a aviator - you must appreciate what payload and weight does to flight performance.

The Mavic Pro is well reviewed because it is good - and besides from amateur sailboat/travelers, a lot of professional photographers/video makers use them too. But if you're using it over water, have to be mentally prepared to lose it.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:45   #8

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm not sure how that's relevant, other than maybe prices will go up with less competition. How about the Mavic Pro? Is it a reasonable choice, or are there better ones for our purposes?
My point was, do not buy a GoPro drone as they are discontinued.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:48   #9

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

Not sure about the best drone as i think few can say they've have experience with every single one but I have an opinion on DJI products - especially the mavic.

Its cool. Its fast. Its neat that it folds and it takes gorgeous 3 axis stabilized footage. The challenge? Its a bit too smart for its own good on a moving/cluttered vehicle and prone to "erratic behavior" when landing. In addition to the main camera, they've got 4 other cameras and 2 range finders handling collision detection. What happens when you try to land on a sailboat with plenty of various obstacles? Sometimes unpredictable things. What happens when you try to land on a moving vehicle when lots of various obstacles? More unpredictable things. I believe the mavic is reading from the GPS as it lands and it does not want to land while it still believes its moving. My buddy lost one recently the first time he went to land it on a catamaran while it was moving after having professionally used it for a year and having successfully launched/retrieved it from the cat at anchor.

As a result of the technical issues above, the online consensus seems to be hand catching when using them from a moving boat. It requires turning the downward sensor off which isn't a big deal for most. The problem is that the mavic is very powerful for its size and has a narrow space to get a firm grab on it. As a result when you get it into your hand and pull down - it tends to do its best to fly back up until it can get turned off.

People definitely do it plenty with no problem so don't let me dissuade you or anyone for that matter. Just something to put in the pro category for maybe considering a phantom because you can leave those neat landing gears on and pretty easily snag it when hand catching. I've done it a few times as well as my friend (end of this video here)....although he did catch a nice whack from the propeller on one take.

elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54   #10

One of these is definitely on my shopping list.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 13:03   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Why muck about with drones when you can have one of these..... Feature: Build it Yourself Flying Boat Cruises at 44MPH, Doubles as Hang Glider - TechEBlog
Old 08-01-2018, 13:12   #12

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaak View Post

Its cool. Its fast. Its neat that it folds and it takes gorgeous 3 axis stabilized footage. The challenge? Its a bit too smart for its own good on a moving/cluttered vehicle and prone to "erratic behavior" when landing. In addition to the main camera, they've got 4 other cameras and 2 range finders handling collision detection. What happens when you try to land on a sailboat with plenty of various obstacles? Sometimes unpredictable things. What happens when you try to land on a moving vehicle when lots of various obstacles? More unpredictable things. I believe the mavic is reading from the GPS as it lands and it does not want to land while it still believes its moving. My buddy lost one recently the first time he went to land it on a catamaran while it was moving after having professionally used it for a year and having successfully launched/retrieved it from the cat at anchor.
Theses guys almost lost this one due to the software being too "smart" . starts around 8m30s...

Old 08-01-2018, 13:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I had my eye on this one: .. The DJI Mavic Pro, reasonable price, folding so good for storing on a boat, and well reviewed.
Great choice. If you have the space the Phantom 4 has the better camera though - here some pictures (lift-off at around 7:30 min.):
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 14:41   #14

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

I'm thinking the Mavic is the way to go, as well. Some Splash drone users report issues with the controller.

There are lots of Youtubes on putting floats ( such as 100mm foam balls) on the Mavic for takeoff and/or landing on water, which may help for landing when cruising, as long as waves are small enough.

There are also good Youtubes on techniques for hand catching the Mavic.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 20:58   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

The Mavic is the best and easiest to fly.

I fly a phantom 3, ($300) as it is better to crash $300 in the water than $1000.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser