Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 02:49   #1

Garmin (Airmar) DST 800Triducer Failure

After replacing my 23 year old Datamarine instruments a little over a year ago with a Garmin instrument package, the Garmin (Airmar) DST 800Triducer is failing. It works about 60-70% of the time but otherwise it slowly blinks showing the last depth it could read.

I have checked all the connections and the rest of the system (including my older 4008 GPS and the GMI displays) all work fine.

Garmin support says that it does not repair Airmar and that the unit is now out of warranty after one year and one month.

I see from the specs that for the triducer, the depth puts out only 100W as opposed to 150W for the DT800. However the failure to read is not depth related. Having Google the DST800 I see other posts with similar problems. Are there any solutions?

Given how poorly paddlewheel speed sensors perform I am thinking about dropping that feature but the DT800 says it is for 16-24 degree dead-rise
lrclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 15:16   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Garmin (Airmar) DST 800Triducer Failure

The DT800 comes in several flavors of tilted element. You can get 0* like a normal one, or 12* or 20* tilt for different deadrises.

Talk directly to Airmar - I know they have had failures of the triducer and may work with you to solve yours regardless of Garmin.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 15:54   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

I had same unit, albeit with the Raymarine STNG interface. My temp and speed just dropped out after 10 months or so. It was intermittent initially then just finally died. Raymarine replaced it without question but I strongly feel that the problem lay in the potting of the unit - corrosion somewhere in the interface electronics. The STNG connector was fine electrically, so I assume that there was some issue internally. The CAN transceiver internally is digital, so I suspected that the error lay in either a poor internal PSU or corrosion.

The replacement unit has functioned fine since I received it 8 months ago.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
Old 25-06-2014, 15:45   #4

I've contacted Airmar but no response.

I have ordered a new DT 800 (no S) through Ebay since Garmin does not seem to offer a new DT 800 with less than a high amount of deadrise.

We'll see how it does.
lrclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 15:51   #5

I hope you have eliminated growth on the sensor, and the surrounding hull, as a cause - or you're in for a disappointment.

I can practically track when I need to get the bottom cleaned, from the error in my DST800's paddle reading.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 06:44   #6

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I hope you have eliminated growth on the sensor, and the surrounding hull, as a cause - or you're in for a disappointment.

I can practically track when I need to get the bottom cleaned, from the error in my DST800's paddle reading.

+1. I've found that any retardation or disruption in the flow over the hull around the transducer due to fouling, causes the paddle to run slower.

Tags
garmin