Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 22:51   #16
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
I have had a couple of the heaters. They work great, but are hogs on propane. We have the 3 burner stove. I won't tell you the price because I hate to see grown men cry, but the igniters went out in the first month. I have since disassembled the burner controls a few times, and they usually work for a couple of days, then fail again. For awhile, we were able to use the oven igniter to light all burners, but that has failed as well. It worked one day last week I have not contacted Force 10 on this, but I suspect they would take care of the issue. They were very helpful when the thermal couple on the heater failed.
We get used to the prices. It is bleeding sad to check out a price in the US and then find out what we have to pay down here. Somewhat off topic but do you know that there is a Pontiac Coupe that is made in Oz (we call it a Monaro) and the damn thing is more expensive in Australia than in the States. Now THAT is a rip off. Having checked the Force 10 prices on their web site I'll just toddle off and a quiet sulk then. Actually, a huge part of the price difference is exchange rate. The Oz buckazoid, otherwise known as the South Pacific Peso is only worth 70c US which is not nice.
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 00:22   #17

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Navman chartplotters are 1/2 price in US even after taking the exchange into account. They are made in NZ! Figure that out. I bought mine over the internet from US. Got my charts from Australia over internet. Stuff Barton Marine prices!

Aussie Fosters and Crown lager are cheaper in NZ. It's a weird world....
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 00:58   #18
tdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
Navman chartplotters are 1/2 price in US even after taking the exchange into account. They are made in NZ! Figure that out. I bought mine over the internet from US. Got my charts from Australia over internet. Stuff Barton Marine prices!

Aussie Fosters and Crown lager are cheaper in NZ. It's a weird world....
Which Navman ? I am a bit new to the world of GPS and have just purchased one of their low level models, a 5380. Still trying to decide whether to go for a laptop based system or stand alone but this thing will do as a stopgap. To be honest I actually bought it cos our log fried itself and with a cockpit repeater it replaces the log, at least for now. which chart site did you use ?
Old 06-12-2006, 23:54   #19

got my charts from http://www.marinedirect.com.au/
The guy is really good to deal with. I have had two orders from him now.

My chartplotter is the Navman 5600. I love using it.
Old 07-12-2006, 18:38   #20
tdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
got my charts from http://www.marinedirect.com.au/
The guy is really good to deal with. I have had two orders from him now.

My chartplotter is the Navman 5600. I love using it.
Darryl,
Marine direct quote aud31.50 for Australian Charts while Boat Books (Australia) sell 'em for aud29.50. That's paper, were you talking about electronic ?
Andrew
Old 08-12-2006, 02:58   #21

c-maps for the navman. They are electronic charts. About $160AUS reach
Old 08-12-2006, 05:09   #22

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
TDW,
Two friends purchased Cozy Cabin Heaters last month. It is true that Force 10 sold the line to Dickenson, however they were able to purchase new ones from the new manufacturer.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 14:03   #23

Boat: 36' steel cutter
Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater FOR SALE

We haven't made the switch yet, but I'm 99% sure we'll have a kerosene Force 10 heater for sale here in the next couple of months. It's used of course but works great and would come with the pressurized tank and all associated parts and hardware. Just thought I'd throw that out there. We'll probably post it on ebay unless someone expresses an interest before then.
Old 24-04-2007, 14:39   #24
cruiser

When I started looking for a new 2 burner propane stove I was shown one made in India available from Harbor Freight for $50 US. As Harbor freight doesn't ship ouside the continenetal US, I offered a USanian $100 CDN for his new one . I've been using it for several years now and it is a thing of beauty, bronze burners and totally non magentic stainless. I had to change a few plated steel screws , but the rest has been perfect, and very well designed . It is called "Cook and Grill "and is made in India , where the best stainless this side of Sweden is made. It is all non magnetic ,unlike China , Korea and Japan which makes stuff out of magnetic stainless, which rusts badly in the tropics. I have no doubt that the same company probably makes many different models with ovens more burners, etc. Finding the source is the problem.
I haven't met many people who were happy with their force ten cookstoves after many years of use.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 15:32   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
I haven't met many people who were happy with their force ten cookstoves after many years of use.
Brent
I've always been quite impressed with them - the majority of the charter boats in the Caribbean seem to be fitted with them (except, oddly, the French boats which have a crappy little 2 burner a small oven and no grill - you'd think the French were more interested in their food production, oh well) and they hold up well in charter service. Sure the igniters are prone to fail but other wise both the top and the bottom seem to cook very well. I find the 4 burner model to not have enough room to actually get 4 pots cooking and so prefer the 3 burner model.

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 21:02   #26

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
We used a Force 10 for 8 years living aboard and cruising in the tropics for 4 of those years. Held up well except the ignitor failed in the first few months. They should just sell it with a BBQ lighter and be done with it.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote