Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 13:51   #16

Boat: Sabre48
Send a message via AIM to QuickSplash
Re: faux Teak Decking Whats the best?

Practical Sailor just did a study and Flexiteak, scored the highest. I'm currently installing the product on my Beneteau 50 in Baltimore. The installer is local and has 20 year experience not only with Flexiteak but other manufacturers. He like the Flexiteak product better because the sheet is heat welded in the shop and laid as one piece where others use individual strips. There is more of a chance for that installation to "roller coaster". I had the a bid from NuTeak since I used it on my previous Beneteau and the quote was higher by 25%, which was several boat units.
QuickSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 15:00   #17

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50

Vladis,

where did you buy the teak panels from?
What is the total thickness of the panel?
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 23:00   #18

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello,

I am in Portugal and got the panels from Spain. The panels where about 1cm thick. The company website is this:

http://www.nauteka.com/?lang=en

Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 00:08   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's not even close to Teak, but Treadmaster is an old, low maintenance, standby. Just glue it in place, on a solid substrata, & you're good for a decade+
Plus, you can choose the non-skid pattern which suits your taste & application, as well as whatever color strikes your fancy. And it'll be much, much lighter to boot.

Regarding the teak panels, having some made using the same/similar "formula" is an option. As is the DIY variant. Particularly if purchasing the brand in question is out of your budget range, & or, not viable due to unreasonable shipping costs.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:56   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSplash View Post
Practical Sailor just did a study and Flexiteak, scored the highest ...
From their 2015 Test Headline: “Permateek, PlasDeck, and Marinedeck stand out in initial round.”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:39   #21

Boat: Beneteau 473

All good advice
thanks
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:45   #22
cruiser

Find out what's being used on the new Beneteau and Lagoon yachts. That fake teak looks and feels just like the real thing. When it comes time to replace ours, I'll be doing the same research for a replacement product.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by monus View Post
all ok but what do you prefer and like to see more; a fake Christmas three or a real one cut by yourself? At the end of the day it all about the money.
After having had both, some points:
1) Real tree sheds needles, has sticky sap and has an aroma that, although initially pleasing, can aggravate allergies
2) Real trees are single-use consumer items and, by definition, are wasteful. Notice I didn't say not green, cuz they are, usually.
3) Real trees are a big time fire hazard.
4) Real trees don't come pre-wired with several hundred LED lights
5) Real trees are like horses: anyone who exclaims, "Oh, I want one" never owned one

My opinions only, of course. From what I am reading, real teak is like that.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:17   #24

Boat: St Francis 50

We had Flexiteek installed a year ago and would recommend it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1451841390.247506.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	116070Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1451841423.423466.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	116071

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:24   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I need to know if anyone has had any recent dealings with Tek-Dek UK. I have dealt with them for three years. Not being able to afford the whole deck recovering in one go, two years ago, I did the cockpit first, then last winter, the cabin top and when I sent my template for the side and foredecks last month to Tek-Dek UK for the estimate of these last two large pieces, I was shocked that they were now asking £6000! That is more than twice what I paid for all the Tek-Dek previously installed and three times what the cost was for the cabin top and the side and foredecks are less complex.

Tek-Dek has changed hands and the name of the manufacturer twice in the past three years and now no one answers their phone, emails go unanswered and apparently the company is now owned by Harry's Carpets???

There are several companies offering the same product as Tek-Dek, Flexiteek and Dek-King all seem to offer the exact same product. There is information on the internet about a law suit between Flexiteek and Tek-Dek over licensing arrangements.

Has anyone have or had recent dealings with the Harry's Carpets configuration? Or an idea of why this outfit has changed names so often?

PM me if you don't feel comfortable responding in this forum.

Thanks, George DuBose
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Moderator,
If there is anyway you can post my last query on the daily newsletter, that would be great. The thread I had to post in was pretty old.

Thanks,
George DuBose
Old 05-12-2017, 09:34   #27

Boat: islandpacket

It showed up on my new posts
Old 05-12-2017, 10:02   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks BadSanta,
I am hoping to hear from some British sailors who have had recent dealing with Tek-Dek/FMD Ltd-TRAKMARK/Harry's Carpets who strangely enough all have the same address and phones that don't get answered.

Buying a decking from Harry's Carpets, seems to be a stretch for me. Maybe because the word "marine" doesn't appear in their name?

Thanks,

George DuBose
Old 05-12-2017, 11:33   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladis View Post
Hello,

Last winter I applied teak to the cockpit floor of my Oceanis 40. At first I was considering artificial teak. But I chose natural teak when I discovered that I could buy pre manufactured panels of true teak planks with 1cm thickness already glued to a base of fiberglass sheet and with the black stripes between the 4cm wide planks. I ordered 2 panels totalising 4 squared metres and paid 800 Euros for the set. Then get moulds of the floor and cut the panels at home until they where at the exact fit. With less than 200 Euros for Sika and other materials I got the job done. I must say that I like the finish much more than other professional jobs that I see around. The exit of the project is due to the excellent instructions that are available from Sikaflex and many YouTube videos that exist on the web. In conclusion, if you can get these semi ready panels of natural teak, do not hesitate even if they are a bit more expensive than artificial teak.
Regards, Vladis

I ordered the teak decking on my new Oceanis. Like you stated above, they do it in panels now and it’s glued, not screwed down. I like the look and the fact that it’s a natural product/surface. It was not a cheap option though - about $12k US - but it’s the bow, side decks, cockpit floor, all benches and the swim platform.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck