Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 12:12   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB J View Post
David M, you say, "I got news...all plastic is "marine grade"." I hope you're not including vinyl used for upholstery & other pvc sheeting used on a boat. If it is not "Marine Grade", you will have a problem sooner or later.
BOB J
Your correct. Point well taken. I should have emphasized that sometimes all "marine grade" means is that any iron has been removed and substituted with something non-ferrous....which many times means some sort of plastic and end up getting charged 50% more for the upgrade to "marine quality".

Don't feel bad, research and science quality in a marine environment seems to be at least four times the price.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:39   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
West Marine finally released their financials; reporting net sales of US$113.3 million for its quarter ended March 31, 2007, compared to net sales of US$125.8 million a year ago. Same-store sales decreased 9.4 per cent compared to the same quarter a year ago. West Marine also reported a net loss of US$17.6 million, compared to a net loss of US$11.3 million a year ago.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:43   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
West Marine finally released their financials; reporting net sales of US$113.3 million for its quarter ended March 31, 2007, compared to net sales of US$125.8 million a year ago. Same-store sales decreased 9.4 per cent compared to the same quarter a year ago. West Marine also reported a net loss of US$17.6 million, compared to a net loss of US$11.3 million a year ago.
Well, I just gave 'em $423 for two gallons of bottom paint. Didn't that help any??
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 13:05   #49

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Sean,
Will two gallons cover your cat? Where are you now? Sorry I missed you coming through St. Augustine.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 13:34   #50
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would think 2 gallons would give you 2-3 coats with 4-5 coats on all leading edges. I hear a few small bottles of mold inhibitor will prolong the bottom paint.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:41   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
I posted the following recently at the SSCA forum, responding to an OP about WM pricing. Then I read this thread and thought I would post it again.

"I am in Malaysia, island of Langkawi. I can order from the WM catalog, which local retailers provide me with, and pay exactly the same on most things as you do walking into a WM store in Duluth or Vancouver.

Of course, local shops order through Port Supply, the WM wholesaler, but they pay the shipping, have it here in four days and make enough profit to make it worthwhile for them.

Funny though, I had quite a large order a while back. About $4,000. I worked out that I could order it from Defender, pay the shipping (it included 250' of HT chain and, no, it would not be included in the other guy's four-day delivery offer) and still get it here for far less than ordering from the WM catalog and have the shipping paid.

I ordered from Defender, a sweet young woman in their office held my hand, and it arrived by sea and I saved hundreds."
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Sonny - no doubt about it - WM has had an excellent policy regarding returns. That IS changing, and you'll start to notice the differences soon. Already, on their special orders, it requires full payment before they will order - check out the return policy on THAT! But, they are still, by far, the easiest and best for returns!
I think it makes sense to me to have to pre- pay for special orders. They are ordering in something they don't normally stock, and don't want to get stuck with an oddball item that is hard to sell and expensive to send back. Also, if you're planning on buying it anyways, whats the difference? You would have had to pay now if they had it in stock. If you get it and can't use it, or change your mind, yo can return it. I have no loyalty to West, I just never get the loic when I hear these kinds of complaints. While it would certainly be great to have every part for every little system on our boats in stock all the time it just isn't practicl to tie up money stocking parts that sell one or two a year. Just some thoughts!
lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 07:02   #53

Yes Defender has lower prices, but good luck if anything is wrong with the order when it arrives. When I was in Puerto Rico, I mail ordered a part from them and when it arrived there was a problem. I can't remember what the problem was now, but dealing with their customer service was such a nightmare that I vowed never to buy from them again. West Marine has an excellent customer service and return policy and will match prices, but I rarely shop there anymore. I try to patronize local stores whenever I can.
JARogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 09:28   #54

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava
WM will honor Defender prices or any other published price. They can also look up the Defender price on their computer, and have a code for Defender price matching when checking out. This worked last week on a Groco raw water strainer. As we travel, the training of WM employees varies greatly, as does the inventory control.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 09:35   #55

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Classic ex of redundant comments to a two year old thread
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote