Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2022, 05:46   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Deck Shoes. Which go hard in 1-2 seasons and which don't

On the boat (mine or others), I'm either barefoot or in sneakers. Good sneakers are plenty comfortable and grippy. And because they get worn off the boat too, they're used up before the rubber ever gets a chance to get hard and lose grip. The only time I've sneakers go hard and slippery is on an old pair long after it's been cascaded down to lawn mowing duty.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:54   #32
chp

Boat: Hunter 280

Best deck shoes I've ever had are water shoes. Made for walking in water over slippery rocks and crap in the water. These grip the deck like you're glued to it. Like others my Sperry, even though they last a long time, the sole is slick as hell on my deck. The water socks will wear quickly when using them for just walking around, but they're cheap. They will not mark any decks. I only wear them when on the boat.
chp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:27   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
Best shoe I have ever owned is the Bedrock Cairn Pro sandal. If it suits your taste and shoe needs you won't ever go back. I have worn a pair for the last 4 years. There is no tread left at all and I find this makes them even better. The sole grip is freaky sometimes. On land, especially if there is snow they get dicey, but for everything else I love them. No upper protection if you want or need that. Bottom line is that they last a long time, re-solable, very tacky grip, very comfortable with NO pinch points.
JEB

I've worn the very similar Chaoco with similar experience. But the problem with open toe sandals is that ropes can get between the sole and the toes and trip you. I won't wear them for active sailing on breezy days.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:11   #34

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've worn the very similar Chaoco with similar experience. But the problem with open toe sandals is that ropes can get between the sole and the toes and trip you. I won't wear them for active sailing on breezy days.

Agreed on the open toe, and no sandal should be near SNOW as was alluded to up-post.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:23   #35

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Like others, I was highly disappointed when my expensive Sperry deck shoes went slick in 2 years - and sanding 'em only added a couple of months. I've used various running & walking shoes, but they didn't make great deck shoes.
The last 3 years I've been wearing cheap Chinese "water shoes" like these:

https://amazon.com/DLGJPA-Drying-Spo...dp/B07TDY1PJ5/

. $25-30 depending on size and color. I got two years out of the first pair, but they were disintegrating at the end - the pair I wore all last year (May-October) look a little rough, but they'll do as spares for the new pair I'm getting for Christmas
But those are NOT good land/walking shoes as they have little to no support - and pebbles will come up through the open spots in the sole. I wear New Balance 4E "Fresh Foam" runners (with an orthotic insert) for shore - adequate but not great on a wet deck.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:42   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
Like others, I was highly disappointed when my expensive Sperry deck shoes went slick in 2 years - and sanding 'em only added a couple of months. I've used various running & walking shoes, but they didn't make great deck shoes.
The last 3 years I've been wearing cheap Chinese "water shoes" like these:

https://amazon.com/DLGJPA-Drying-Spo...dp/B07TDY1PJ5/

. $25-30 depending on size and color. I got two years out of the first pair, but they were disintegrating at the end - the pair I wore all last year (May-October) look a little rough, but they'll do as spares for the new pair I'm getting for Christmas
But those are NOT good land/walking shoes as they have little to no support - and pebbles will come up through the open spots in the sole. I wear New Balance 4E "Fresh Foam" runners (with an orthotic insert) for shore - adequate but not great on a wet deck.

Hartley
S/V Atsa

Good to see a fellow advocate of Chinese shoes my last Chinese’s decks were the best I’ve owned
Old 09-12-2022, 11:10   #37

Currently wearing a pair of Sperry Harbormasters. They are about 18mo old and still grippy. Bought on sale at WM, they were cost reasonable. They replaced a pair of traditional Sperry Top-Siders which were horribly stiff and not grippy. I tried to wear them a few times and get them to break in… but they were so unsupportive and uncomfortable that I sent them away.

Probably the best I’ve had as far as grippy soles were some Speedo “water shoes” that basically looked similar to a sports shoe. They had a white, soft rubber sole that were amazingly grippy - even on a soapy deck. I only wore while aboard while washing, or offshore if spray was flying. I purchased a couple times, each lasting about 2.5 - 3 years - finally getting smelly from being damp with saltwater. The soles never stopped gripping.

In my younger years, I found skateboard shoes (similar to Vans) as an economical, wear everywhere shoe. If you got the ones with a fine siped or grooved bottom, they worked well on a wet deck.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:42   #38

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I've had a pair of Musto Dynamic Pro shoes with soles that got hard within 1 year, and a pair of Sperry 7 Seas 3-eye sneaker that became so slippery within a year of wear it was like walking on sheet of oiled glass.

I love my Musto boots that are 10+ years old and my Sperry Sea Kite shoes lasted a few years.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:05   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

How about...?
  • Gill
  • Zhik
Old 09-12-2022, 12:56   #40

I was committed to Chaco for years and thought I would never switch...then I found the Bedrock which for me is better than even the toe loop Chaco. Bedrocks are lighter and more flexible and don't squeeze the outside of my foot. Of course they are very minimalist shoes with absolutely no cushioning which I prefer, but may not suit your taste. No heal cup either.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 13:10   #41

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
but with my old shoes I am fine. Judy hates them because they are so ratty,
I got a laugh out of that and the pic you posted.
Even though I like the Gokey shoes, when I was working at a boat factory wearing a pair of Topsiders that looked like yours was a badge of honor.
But this was back when they were US made and just about the only thing on the market.
Nobody "worth their salt" wanted to be seen in a new pair, that would paint you as a newb.
Old 09-12-2022, 20:31   #42

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

As mentioned in one earlier post, I think cold dry weather makes the rubber get hard before its time. (Future PS test??)

When the weather gets cold, I don't leave the shoes on board.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 19:14   #43

Sperry Sea Kite for me. Grippy, athletic soles and soft comfortable uppers. Wear them barefoot. The inner soles have a good arch, are odor eaters, and can be pulled out to wash. Two years, however, is tops -- but I sail in California year round, so YMMV.
jparriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 09:36   #44

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

In cold or wet weather I wear my hiking boots. Vasque Talus ultra dry.

https://www.vasque.com/mens-hiking-f...html?cgid=mens
About 6 years old now, still grippy.
Not very yachty though [emoji4]
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 06:40   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to aprilhelen

Anyone try Vibram Five-Fingers?

https://us.vibram.com/shop/shop-all-...s/watersports/

I’ve had amphibious luck!
aprilhelen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags