Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 20:42   #16

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
removing cetol

Two ways to remove cetol.

1. Leave it in the sun for about 5 years and it will flake off by itself, eventualy, and look terrible in the process. The first 3 years it will look great.

2. Use a heat gun on the lower setting and a putty knife, comes off pretty easy that way, unless you are on year #4.

Peace
Old 04-01-2010, 06:20   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I thought they finally made a remover for cetol...?
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35   #18

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
cetol remover

Perhaps they did, but my experience with "removers" is they kind of make a mess. I have used paint strippers and such and while effective, you still have to scrape the goo off with a putty knife anyway, and while it requires far less pressure with the knife, the scrapeings are sticky, gooie and all around harder to deal with. It's the best answer for roundy, hard to reach corners and such, but I like the ease of clean up with mearly heating the finnish and scrapeing. My girl follows with a small shop-vac or a paper bag anywhere the shaveings may get overboard and clean up is dry and pretty clean, nothing gets in your clothes and you can take breaks without worrying about accidents with half digested cetol all around you. That's how I see it anyway, other oppinions may differ.

All the best,