Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 19:53   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 Owner's Ver.
Best Marine Equipment?

Can anyone please recommend better quality pumps, motors and accessories than the typical stuff you would find at West Marine, BOW, Boater's World, etc. I'm talking about brands like Jabsco or Rule or Shurflo or any of the cheaply built (but not priced the same way!) stuff that, if I'm lucky, will last for maybe a season or two.

I've been involved with the maintenance of boats for the last ten years and on every boat it is the same: they all have the popular brands on board but what I've realized, is that they're only popular because it seems that there's nothing else available! And people keep on using the same stuff because that is what they're sold and they do not know any better.

I've basically had it with all the stuff made by ITT Industries. I do not have anything against the company or bare any personal grudges against them, but it seems that they have cornered the market with their low quality stuff and either just bought out or forced the competition from the market. I think it is a great company and even own some of their stock but I'm just fed up with their quality.

I'm looking to hear from cruisers who have bilge pumps, sump pumps, pressure pumps or any other 12-24V DC equipment that they have used for years and years and swear by; equipment that is high quality, dependable and that stays fixed after a repair. I do not care what they paid for it or if it is difficult to get hold of if you have to wait for it for some time - it is all worth it in the end.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mainstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:29   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
water pressure pumps: Jabsco VSD series

small bilge pumps + grey water + sump pumps: Whale Gulper 220

big bilge pumps: Rule submersible

all these specific types work well for us after 4-5 years of continues use. Many others broke after weeks/months. We only replace with new once; if it fails again we change to another pump until we came to the list above.

there are much better pumps; look at oberdorfer, paragon etc.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote