Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 16:31   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Best Handheld Spotlights. What do you Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Ditto on the Headlamp! except mine is a Black Diamond with three LEDs providing narrow and wide beam settings...can't say it's the best cuz I didn't research... Xmas gift, my daughter is well trained!

I like these. Great for working on boats, never need to go looking for a light when in a dark bilge or interior fixing something all of a sudden.

Amazon.com: Panther Vision PowerCap Night Vision 6 LED Flashlight Hat Orange: Electronics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	68178  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:51   #47

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the latest generation of LED lights from Mag-Lite. I've been fooling around with them lately & I find that the performance is well above the older Xenon lights that they made. There are a few different versions out there & they each have their place in this world, as well as their individual quirks.

I'll start with the little ones. The classic 2 x AA battery Mag-lite is still available & only costs around $10 with a spare bulb in the back end & 2 batteries included. There are two LED versions that I have used that look very similar & have the same twist head. One was a "super bright" version (around 140 lumen) with an "electronic switch". If you turn it on & off quickly a few times, you can get it to go full power, or low power (for longer battery life) or blink "SOS". Battery life is much better than the standard unit described above. You can use these lights in "candle mode" by removing the reflector head. I find this useful for lighting up a room during a power outage. I've been though 3 of these. One was DOA within 30 seconds of putting in the batteries that came with it. The other two are still working fine, after more than 6-months in use.

There is also a version that looks exactly like the one described above, but it has a brighter super-bright LED that is over 200 lumen. It has a single function (twist type) on-off switch. This one gets a little hot when you use it for more than 10 minutes. It chews through batteries a little faster than I like. I find that it is actually a little too bright for some tasks. It is still working reliably after about 4-months of hard use.

There is another version that uses 2 x AA batteries but has a different case style with a push-button switch on the end of it. This has a 3 function switch that lets you choose between high, low & fast flash (not SOS). It's brightness is probably between the two described above, but I don't remember the actual number of lumen. Battery life is good. It can not be used in candle mode. This one is the most expensive.

The large frame Mag-lites now come in LED too. They are even brighter than the little ones. 3 D-cells will last for days.

A company (nite-eyes?) makes LED retrofit kits for the original 2 x AA & D-cell mag-lites. These LED bulbs are not as bright as the ones that come from Mag-lite, but battery life is excellent.

Mag-lites remain one of the best built general-purpose flashlights that I have encountered. The little Chinese LED lights that I have bought all failed withing a short time. They had a variety of problems. The most common was corrosion at the points where dissimilar metals meet.

For true spot light performance, the best that I have encountered was a Darrel Allen Scuba light. It's a pain in the neck to change the batteries & reseal the )-ring properly, but the light tough as nails, bright as all get out & good to depths that you can't reach while diving on straight air. Mine is now probably close to 30 years old & still going strong. The only weak point is the magnetic switch. I need to tap it a little to get it to switch on. I consider that to be a small price to pay for the fact that it nullifies the requirement to have a penetration in the body of the light for the switch & therefore a potential point of leakage.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:08   #48

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

I bought one of these Stanley models,
Stanley 10 Watt Lithium ION Spotlight - Walmart.com
10 Watt LED bulb for low draw and Lithium Ion battery for fast charging and long lasting it is light weight and powerful recharges from 12 or 120v, chargers included. About $50.00
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02   #49

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
I bought one of these Stanley models... Steve W
Does anyone have experience with the cordless tool multipack? I was looking at drill, saw etc and they include a light which I thought was just a cheap throw in so they could call it four tools.

Tags
men