Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 09:30   #16

Boat: too many
Re: Best Handheld Spotlights. What do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
20 mins is not typical of the good quality units.
Duration of light is not an indication of quality but rather lumens produced and capacity of the battery. Even though the Big Bruiser is made from billet and has massive heat sinks, at 3000 lumens it becomes too hot for comfort after 20 minutes. The lithium battery is 3.6 ahr @ 3.7 volts which is 13.3 whr. That would run a 800 lumen light for over 2 hours.

When you need a lot of flood from a handheld pocketable flashlight, I don't know of any other light that offers up 3000 lumens.

If you need long duration light for camping or power outages, these are good choices. The OP did ask for recommendations for a handheld light.

The Coleman will give over 30 hours at 580 lumens and uses a pot for variable output.

You get that run time from (8) 10 ahr nickel metal D cells 12.5 whr.

The one on the left comes with a solar panel for the lithium battery.

The lithium battery is the small green package plus it can use (3) D cells.

But I drifted this topic, sorry OP. Bottom line is LED is the way to go for any application of portable light.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:04   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
When you need a lot of flood from a handheld pocketable flashlight, I don't know of any other light that offers up 3000 lumens.
There are a number of lights that offer around 3000 lumens if that is what you want. Here is some models just from a couple of manufacturers:

Fenix RC40 Rechargeable High Power Searchlight | Flashaholics.co.uk
Fenix TK75 2600 Lumen Searchlight | Flashaholics.co.uk
Fenix TK70 LED Torch | Flashaholics.co.uk
Nitecore TM26 Quadray 3500 Lumen Flashlight | Flashaholics.co.uk
Nitecore TM15 2450 Rechargeable LED Torch | Flashaholics.co.uk

Overall I would not recommend this for most people. The high output is usually achieved with 2-4 Xm-l LEDs. The multiple LEDs mean the torches throw is not as good as the single die alternatives. (In others words there is a spread of light rather than a well collimated spot beam). This is less suited to boat use.
The logarithmic nature of brightness perception means that there is not a big difference between 1000 and 3000 lumens. Its hard to trust the lumens unless they are ANSI rated anyway.

All these lights are solid aluminium its the only way to provide an adequate heat sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Bottom line is LED is the way to go for any application of portable light.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:11   #18

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
I have used a compact Niteguard 400,000 CP with Blue Anti glare ring from Lectro Science. Works better in fog and rain and snow than anything else I ever tried over last 15 years. So good, I bought two. Now can not even seem to find where to buy them, as I wanted to give one a a present. Last place I found was Canada, but they are no longer carrying them..
This place seem to still have them... Although I think there are better options available now.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:34   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
What are some of the best 12 volt hand held spotlights?
Impact resistant, water resistant/waterproof, candlepower etc.
My choice was a cheap single LED light with a pistol grip. Can use alkaline or rechargeable of same size/voltage.

Used on boat for two years +. Now in garage.

Black & Decker SL3WAKB LED Alkaline Spotlight : Amazon.com : Automotive

But I have one that uses only the 18360 batteries. It has three brightness settings plus stobe and SOS.
Trustfire Cree Xm-l T6 5-modes 3800lm Led Flashlight Electric Torch - Amazon.com

What a light!!!!!

I have a 5" light with a single CREE T-6 that can focus wide to spot. One T-6 is sooooo much brighter than the old bulb maglight. It's amazing.
There are so many choices.

Go nuts and search Amazon for "LED flashlight". you will be there the rest of the day.

They are cheap and almost all are O-ring sealed.
Old 21-08-2013, 11:36   #20

I picked up an inexpensive light at a local auto parts chain store (O-Reilly's), probably similar to AutoZone, or PepBoys??

I think it was $29.99 or $39.99. Absolutely LOVE it. Very very powerful light. It easily lights up the shore and dock from half mile away or more. Best of all, it lights up for a LONG time between charges. I can't tell you how long exactly, but I would be comfortable saying a couple of hours anyway.

I used to have one of those 1 million candle power lights, but it would be dead after only 10 or 20 minutes of steady usage. This new LED setup is way way better.

bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 13:35   #21

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratzcpa View Post
I picked up an inexpensive light at a local auto parts chain store (O-Reilly's), probably similar to AutoZone, or PepBoys??

I think it was $29.99 or $39.99. Absolutely LOVE it. Very very powerful light. It easily lights up the shore and dock from half mile away or more. Best of all, it lights up for a LONG time between charges. I can't tell you how long exactly, but I would be comfortable saying a couple of hours anyway.

I used to have one of those 1 million candle power lights, but it would be dead after only 10 or 20 minutes of steady usage. This new LED setup is way way better.

I gotta look into this one.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 15:06   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have had one branded "qest@ 5W LED Spotlight" for about eighteen months now and never had to recharge it. It only gets used for short periods and I am amazed at how effective it is. I think I paid around $100 or so for it. The light does not seem to have the back reflectance problem that the sealed beam, cord spotlight I used to use had.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 15:22   #23

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There are a number of lights that offer around 3000 lumens if that is what you want. Here is some models just from a couple of manufacturers:

Fenix RC40 Rechargeable High Power Searchlight | Flashaholics.co.uk
Fenix TK75 2600 Lumen Searchlight | Flashaholics.co.uk
Fenix TK70 LED Torch | Flashaholics.co.uk
Nitecore TM26 Quadray 3500 Lumen Flashlight | Flashaholics.co.uk
Nitecore TM15 2450 Rechargeable LED Torch | Flashaholics.co.uk

Overall I would not recommend this for most people. The high output is usually achieved with 2-4 Xm-l LEDs. The multiple LEDs mean the torches throw is not as good as the single die alternatives. (In others words there is a spread of light rather than a well collimated spot beam). This is less suited to boat use.
The logarithmic nature of brightness perception means that there is not a big difference between 1000 and 3000 lumens. Its hard to trust the lumens unless they are ANSI rated anyway.

All these lights are solid aluminium its the only way to provide an adequate heat sink.

Well put noelex 77. There are a lot of hobbyists that roll there own, I bought mine from a guy in Oregon.

This hobbyist manage to keep somewhat of a tight beam on this monster creation.

This was his test of a commercially built 2500 lumen spot type.

Compared to his creation.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 16:06   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Thats cool, I used to have a Q-beam.

I was thinking more on the lines of common everyday spotlights instead of super high dollar units.

I am currently without a spotlight. I should have another look at the Q-beam units.

Thanks
I have the Q-beam also..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 17:52   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

thaat auto parts store one is good...i used the ace hardware 16.95 rechargeable version--awesome value--they can fly across a boat and break lens and still works fine...lights up that which yoy want to see nicely and is cheap so it doesnt even matter if it gives out...the one i used had a cracked lens for 8 months and we used it for a year---was still going strong when i left louisiana
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 18:16   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Handheld Spotlights. What do you recommend?

Chinese... 5 for the price of 1 and they last twice as long...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 18:43   #27

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I wouldn't spend a lot of money for a spotlight--they aren't called 'retina burners' for nothing. It will destroy your night vision. I can count the number of times I've used one in the last 20 years on one hand, and that was mostly for retaliation against some ass who was pointing one in my direction.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 02:14   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A good quality led torch will amaze most people. They are invaluable for all sorts of cruising tasks. It is a far more valuable piece of safety gear in terms of bank for buck than many things mandated by regulations. If you want something reliable (and you should do as an important bit of safety gear) go for a good brand like Fenix not a no name eBay special

Get something with a single XM-L led with a T6 or even better U2 bin. If the torch does not specify the bin used don't bother buying it.
You have your choice of batteries with style of torch depending on the model typically
8AA
2-3 D
Or 2 x 18650 lithium rechargable batteries. (These torches will also accept 4x c123 lithium non rechargeable batteries.)
Old 22-08-2013, 02:35   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I wouldn't spend a lot of money for a spotlight--they aren't called 'retina burners' for nothing. It will destroy your night vision. I can count the number of times I've used one in the last 20 years on one hand, and that was mostly for retaliation against some ass who was pointing one in my direction.
I am pretty fanatical about maintaing good night vision so your point is well taken. Lots of people use torches/spotlights when they would be better using their night vision.
However, there are still many occasions when its worth sacrificing your night vision.

A good example is the change of watch at night. Before going down to sleep I use a torch to the sails, rigging, foredeck, stern as well as the engine and all the bilges.
The modern led torches have many levels of brightness so you can select one that is appropriate including full power daylight quality illumination to inspect a possible problem at the top the mast for example.

The good quality Led torches have a completely smooth and artefact free beam. This makes it much easier to spot problems than the shadowy uneven beam of lesser quality products even if the illumination is similar (most 12v spotlights will be much duller)
Old 22-08-2013, 02:52   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
thaat auto parts store one is good...i used the ace hardware 16.95 rechargeable version--awesome value--they can fly across a boat and break lens and still works fine...l
Zeehag one of the great things about the good quality flashlights is that they are just about indestructible.

This one was continually dropped 20 feet onto rocks. Then thrown against a wall for an hour. It still worked normally.

HDS Systems: HDS Systems - Everyday Carry (EDC) Flashlights

Here is some video of one being used to open a coconut.

They are not cheap (well acually they are cheap in terms of boat equipment), but they will not break. Many are double O ring sealed and will survive up to scuba diving depths (but the buttons usually temporarily stop working around 60 feet due to compression)

Tags
men