Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 08:56   #46

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Re: Best brand of tools for saltwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Many of mine are Sears Craftsman, w/ lifetime guarantee. But what keeps them in good shape is the watertight Pelican box they live in. Wipe them off, put them away dry and clean, and they stay that way.
If anyone is looking for Pelican boxes my friend just bought 50 1400 size cases from an account of his. they are normally about 70 dollars these are slightly used but still lifetime guarantee and hi is selling them for $40 (you pay shipping)
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 08:59   #47

Boat: wanting a cat

You folks want to save a boatload of money on quality hand tools, check all the local pawn shops. Pennies on the dollar...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 09:23   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my tools were on this boat when i bought her. there were 3 sets of everything.
i found the biggest problem with tools, especially as a single female on a largish boat soltera,, is the testosterone addled clowns coming on board and taking em.
leave my tools on my boat.
might wanna bring your own tools to help me repair anymore, as most of those will probably have been mine before thine. but, for the more obvious reason of my no longer having the tools i need to repair my own boat. i HAVE been known to turn a wrench or two when my hands were not disabled.
i cannot afford stainless steel tools-- more reason than one--- initial expense, availability, and, i retrieve my fallen tools from bilge with magnet.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 09:43   #49

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

I am on a strict budget to refurbish the boat so I bought Harbor Freight sockets and wrench sets with Sears/Craftsman ratchets and drivers etc. The sockets are cheap and I was able to buy short and deep sockets in SAE and Metric for pennies compared to other brands...and all new. I kinda mix it up with how much it's used versus the price and quality which go hand in hand.
I bought a Harbor Frt. table saw for $109 and when I finish the boat it'll probably be sold at a profit down here where everything is expensive...The most versatile tool has been a multi-tool...I cut out and trim all kinds of things with this and it was only $14...Be frugal but where it'll work for you. Good luck...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, water