Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03   #16

One word , "Kuuma". WM has them for $99.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Thanks, Caelestis...

...this thread just cost me $200.

While looking up one of the grills recommended, I came across a new Dickinson round-kettle version of the Sea-b-cue. Even if it doesn't stay lit any better than the one I've currently got, it's supposed to use less propane, which is a good thing for me because my bomb lockers only support 3-gal propane tanks.

We were no doubt ready for a new grill, however, having transferred the current grill from the previous boat almost three years ago. And it was well-used back then.

BTW, I found a chandlery up in Seattle that sells Dickinson and Kuuma grills for 40% off MSR. Here's the link: 00-SBQR Item

Here's the new addition:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIK-00-SBQ-R-2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	8413  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I bought one and customized it with wind shields from sheet aluminum from Lowes placed in front of all the vents, 3/4 inch off the face of the grill with spacers. Now wind is no problem. I fabricated a 1/4 piece of aluminum to set it on and bolted it to the arm of the rail mounting system from a worn out grill that I bought with the boat, it overhangs.
That's a pretty interesting custom fabrication Mule, a good idea! Do you think you could ammend your post with a picture(s) of the setup?
Scottie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36   #19

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie2 View Post
That's a pretty interesting custom fabrication Mule, a good idea! Do you think you could ammend your post with a picture(s) of the setup?
Perhaps this weekend I will get out to the boat and snap some pix. I got the stuff for the wind gaurd from lowes, sheet metal alumimum I got the 1/4 inch stock from a friend. The feet come off of the grill and leaves a nice threaded hole to mount it with.

Mule
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
DO not buy the Kuuma ones, absolute Junk, I have one of the old Force 4 ones and its was great, replaced it with a Kuuma, rubbish, its not sealed and the grease and crap seeps out on any heal. Get a good rectangular Magma one that is sealed.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 13:34   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Report: Initial Field Testing Complete

Spent the past few days on the hook field-testing the new Dickinson round Sea-b-cue. It outperformed all our previous grills, not only in its ability to stand up to wind (curiously, we only had 20 knots this weekend, down from the usual 25 we expect this time of year) but also in terms of how long it took to warm up, and how well it would work on lower heat settings.

Pros and Cons, when compared to our previous grill, a small Dickinson Sea-b-cue:

Cons:
* Not as good a radar reflector as the previous grill.
* Doesn't have a temperature gauge on the front (although that blew off during an overnight passage with previous grill)
* Rattles a bit when underway, at least until it's quieted with a bungee. (I leave my grill on the pulpit 24/7/365, and used to piss off Beer Can racers by passing them on the final downwind leg with the spinnaker up and the burgers sizzling.)

Pros:
* better wind baffling
* Round burner uses less propane to accomplish the job
* push button ignition that really works. (so far it's lit every time on the first push, and at that point it stays lit, unlike any other grill I've ever owned.)

The verdict is that this grill is an absolute keeper. After having owned a Magma kettle grill, and then a Force 10 log-type grill, and then a small rectangular Sea-b-cue, we feel that this is the best grill we've owned yet. What remains to be seen is whether it will stand up to year-round liveaboard use. We managed to burn out the Force 10 grill in about three years, so we're hoping the new Sea-b-cue has longevity more like it's predecessor, which could have still been in use after 5 years had we found a way to keep it lit in a breeze.
Old 15-06-2009, 07:57   #22

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I leave my grill on the pulpit 24/7/365, and used to piss off Beer Can racers by passing them on the final downwind leg with the spinnaker up and the burgers sizzling.
That's great! I love it...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 08:21   #23

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
We've had a Dickinson on the boat for several years, and it has performed great. It gets hot enough to sear steaks, has yet to blow out in the wind, and seems to cook evenly. Because our needs changed (weekend getaway boat with several aboard, to full time cruising with just two of us), we opted to buy a smaller barbeque. We went with a Magma 'Connoisseur'. I'm not real happy about it's cooking capabilities.

As a side note, we have a small/cheap 'PerfectFlame' portable propane barbeque that we purchased at a home improvement store for our travel trailer. It's probably the best barbeque (for cooking performance) that we've owned. I don't know how long it would last on the boat.

From my experience with Dickinson... they make a great product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of their barbeques.... or heaters.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 15:27   #24

Boat: Seawind - 1160
We have the standard Seawind grill made by Southern stainless in OZ. This grill is really tough and uses propane direct from the big tank used for the stove. Mine is 5 years old and still like new. We live aboard and use it 2-3 times per week.

Cam

Double-Wide
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 16:11   #25

Boat: (between boats)
6 months of hard (5+ nights a week) live aboard use for our chepo perfect-flame grill and nothing but rave reviews from Island Hops. Cost around $65 at Lowes. Still in fine condition. I expect to get at least 2-3 years out of it. Push button lighting and can sear thick steaks with ease. Tuna steaks perfect in 3-4mins a side for 1" thick. Mahi filet's 2-3 mins a side still moist and yummy. No issues with wind as of yet. We use a rubber mat and just sit it right on the deck.

I recommend buying an after market temp gage. I just drilled a hole in the top and screwed this one in. Better to monitor temp for optimal cooking conditions.

Island Hops
STX.
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 16:15   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
There are high pressure and low pressure. The low pressure grills are easy to fix. The high pressure grills have a regulator in the grill and suck - big time. You'll be buying a new one more often that you like. I have a great high pressure grill with a trashed regulator. Can't get there from here. At least it came with the boat and I didn't pay for it. The previous boat had a low pressure and I rebuilt it as good as new. If it don't say Magma you can't get parts.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 17:08   #27

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Here are the pictures of my grill. I had weight in mind when I did it because I did not want to overload the rail. this worked very well.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 00:47   #28

Re: BBQ Grills

I think you can try weber q grill.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:02   #29
Marine Service Provider

Re: BBQ Grills

The Magma Infrared grill is the best!! Holy crap can that thing cook.

I always used a Dickinson on my boat for years until I was at a local marina store in Madeira Beach looking at boat maintenance products (I stored my boat under a tree for a month which caused a ton of issues but that's another story) Anyway they had one of these grils they'd taken off the boat and had it at the marina doing wings. I went out and bought one. They're expensive but you'll never buy another grill after this.
BowmanMarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 08:11   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
BBQ Grills

I have three Magma’s.
One kettle and two of the coffin shaped ones, I bought the Infra red one in the hope it would be better.
It’s not, first if it stays lit, as in a non wind day, it’s too hot, but the main problem is if the wind is blowing, none of the three will stay lit.

I bought a Weber Q for a whole lot less money, and while it’s not a “Marine” grill, it works far better.
Best thing about it, is it will stay lit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue