Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2020, 12:52   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Amercoat 235 vs. Interlux 2000E for priming a steel hull

Hey! I'm looking to repaint the hull of my 30 foot steel sailboat and I've narrowed down my choice of primers to two options: PPG's Amercoat 235 (formerly Bar Rust 235) and Interlux 2000E. The Interlux is mainly advertised for fiberglass hulls but they've recently expanded their marketing to note that it is also good for metal, and there's a navy boat in my yard that has just been sprayed with it, so I trust that. However, I won't be blasting my hull to bare metal, I'll just be sanding off the antifouling and the topcoat above the waterline. I know the Amercoat is compatible with most preexisting barrier systems, but does anyone know if the Interlux is? I'm having some trouble finding a definitive answer on that one. Also, can anyone speak to the quality of either of these products, or compared with each other? I will be rolling, and using both above and below the waterline, and topcoating.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, Interlux, steel, steel hull