Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2010, 06:13   #16

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
we found that there is an arm, bolted to the rudder stock, above the quadrant, that had worked loose.
That will do it - had the same problem a few years ago with my Alpha autopilot - the set screw had become loose, and a tiny little difference at the rudder post made a huge difference in direction, and for that matter in just driving straight. Only 28 years on my unit, where can I get something that will last? ;-)

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 18:17   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36
Re: Alpha 3000 power consumption

My understanding is one of the strong points of the Alpha systems is their energy effeciency. They utilize 80% of the energy needed to run the system while many other systems only utilize 20% effeciency of power needed. So, in effect they require far less power to run than other systems. That is what I have heard.
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 20:10   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
My understanding is one of the strong points of the Alpha systems is their energy effeciency. They utilize 80% of the energy needed to run the system while many other systems only utilize 20% effeciency of power needed. So, in effect they require far less power to run than other systems. That is what I have heard.
The biggest power saving with Alpha APs is because their system doesn't use a clutch to engage the drive. This is a small, but constant power draw. Instead they have a mechanical link to the drive arm to engage and disengage the drive to the rudder.

Otherwise the power draw for the drive, computer and overall efficiency of the system is comparable to other units. Not sure exactly how much power a typical AP drive clutch draws but I believe as much as 15-20 amp hours / day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 22:16   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The biggest power saving with Alpha APs is because their system doesn't use a clutch to engage the drive. This is a small, but constant power draw. Instead they have a mechanical link to the drive arm to engage and disengage the drive to the rudder.

Otherwise the power draw for the drive, computer and overall efficiency of the system is comparable to other units. Not sure exactly how much power a typical AP drive clutch draws but I believe as much as 15-20 amp hours / day.
Lacombe and Schmitt claim that their "Eco-Drive" saves 25 ah. over a normal clutch relay. From 30 to 5 ah per day.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 23:08   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Alpha Autopilot

Alpha may save some power by not using a clutch or bypass solenoid, but the units use a lot more power because their brains are dumber than a fence post. The motor is constantly running as the boat fishtails across the ocean.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Alpha may save some power by not using a clutch or bypass solenoid, but the units use a lot more power because their brains are dumber than a fence post. The motor is constantly running as the boat fishtails across the ocean.
Interesting. Your's isn't the only comment I've seen that Alphas steer like this but I've also seen several that claim they steer straight as a train on tracks.

Seems like different users have very different experiences.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

How much have they upgraded the "brains" on them over the years? As they've been around for a long, long time.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
That's not accurate.... you can adjust the yaw to limit the "corrections" the pilot makes.

There are multiple factors which are included in the "steering" algorithm... including rudder feed back and data from the fluxgate compass. In bouncy conditions the compass input needs to be damps as it is not representing the heading accurately... the compass will move way more easily than the boat. To mitigate this the fluxgate should ideally be in the center of mass of the boat... obviously the bow and stern move laterally way more than the center of mass. If the compass placement is less than ideal... the compass will show more "false" fluctuations in heading and the pilot will make more "corrections".

Note that a pilot usually does not have the ability to move the rudder as much as a helmsman does. It essentially makes small corrections to maintain heading. When the boat is being tossed about by seas small corrections don't cut it and so the boat CAN trace an S course. This would be true for any pilot which has a limit on rudder range.

The skipper can essentially dampen the corrections and the pilot doesn't respond to every wave....kinda.

The same issue is seen when on a beam reach and you are hit by a gust... the boat will round up and needs a fast response on more rudder to prevent rounding up.

APs don't think and they don't see weather and wave trends. A person at the helm can and should.

My experience with the Alpha is positive and it's been driving Shiva for more than 25 years. My boat in moderate conditions and good sunlight can run the AP and the instruments on 2 - 55 watt solar panels... something like a 3 amp draw.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:17   #24

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Without going into all the history ...
We've been running an Alpha 3000 ram controlled by a Raymarine course computer. Power consumption is very low, unit is quiet and she tracks like a train on rails. And we have a wireless remote controller that is a real convenience.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 23:04   #25

Unfortunately, all the negativity about Alpha is true. I bought a boat that had an Alpha autopilot in it and I was thinking about having it gone through and using it on my circumnavigation. I sent it to Chris at Alpha Marine in Washington and from the first phone call I could tell this guy was a liar. Everything he says or does is a ploy to get the most out of you. Ive read on blog post that a common tactic he uses is to say that things are damaged in transit. He did that to me and he wanted me to charge me $4500 to get my system into shape. Come on pal that is ridiculous. These pilots are obsolete and your way better off getting a modern system that is NEMA compatible and believe it or not Cheaper too. Chris is a real hustler and I tell everyone to be very cautious and don not give him your business let alone put your life in his hands by using and relying on an Alpha Pilot. The company is dead. Over.
I. Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot