Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 19:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Air Conditioners

I need to replace my old AC unit and wondered if anyone has recommendations either good or bad about any brands. I'm needing at least a 16,000 btu unit, preferably with reverse cycle heat.
capshroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:12   #2

I've used Mermaid Marine out of Ft Myers. Designed an built by x-cruiser, and u can tour the plantif in town. Reasonable price, well made, problem free, plug and play.
Dual Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:31   #3

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali
Re: air conditioners

Have been using Cuiser AC, work it hard put it away wet and its working very well
levm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:46   #4

Boat: Tartan T4400

I have cruiseair on the boat and went thru a couple of compressors. Can't explain why. Cruise air customer service was helpful but had no answers either. Spoke with a very knowedlegeable rep user name Tellie at the boat show">Miami boat show he answered any questions I had. I would go with cruiseair again. If I was in the south florida area i would use Tellie to install and service.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 04:46   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Our Mermaid hasn't failed...5 years and counting.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 04:47   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Whoops, I mean 6.5 years and counting...boy does time fly!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 00:04   #7

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
For me the cost of a marine air-con was out of the question ( at least here in Australia anyway ). I went to the good guys bought a cheap portable aircon, striped it's outside covers and positioned it in the bow floor locker, exhaust air flows out the I/o of the anchor locker and cool air flows thru the I/o of the v berth, at about the fifth of the price, question remains how long will it last ? 6 months so far.
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 19:16   #8

Re: Air Conditioners

Have both Mermaid 6500 R/C and a 9K Cruise Air R/C, both been trouble free for over 6 yrs so far
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 13:23   #9

Boat: Peterson 46
Re: Air Conditioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncingyellow View Post
For me the cost of a marine air-con was out of the question ( at least here in Australia anyway ). I went to the good guys bought a cheap portable aircon, striped it's outside covers and positioned it in the bow floor locker, exhaust air flows out the I/o of the anchor locker and cool air flows thru the I/o of the v berth, at about the fifth of the price, question remains how long will it last ? 6 months so far.
Hey Fellow BrisVegas sailor,

I got an 7000 BTU window rattler LG A/C from 'hardly normal' in 2004 (December) in Townsville where I was working thru the cyclone season. Townsville is a little warm in summer. With an airconditioned cabin (23 deg C) inside, couldnt get any better.

I stuck in one of the main hatches, used towels to plug the gaps. When cruising, it sat on a spare quarter berth tied to the lee cloth saddles.

So, it has survived 8 years in a salty environment. Cost ~$275 I think. It rattles and is a bit noisy, but works a treat. Havent needed it in Brissy this or last year.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote