Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2015, 04:01   #16

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )
Re: C for engine compartment

ski69sail, I am unclear about the installation. Can one use a single layer of the product, or does it require two layers with a separated air space between layers? For me, that results in a serious reduction of interior volume of my engine room and would be a deal-breaker.

Hi There, I know the produce works very well as I have been doing various types of noise proofing in my various rental properties for many years. The Acustabloc does actually work. It would have to be glued into place. One single layer should be fine. And any noise reduction has to be worth the effort Of course it wont be perfect because of the ventilation issue with an engine bay. Also it will look really nice and tidy .Cant really go wrong
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 06:36   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Acoustiblok for engine compartment

Here's a message I just got from the company:
"Thanks for your interest. Many boaters use Acoustiblok I their boats but it is not a Coast Guard approved product. If you are working with inspected boats you will either need to find another product or hide it inside of wall assemblies. Tell me a little more about the project you work with."

Since my interest is in recreational boats, and I can't effectively build false walls in such limited space, I probably will have to pass on this product until such time as I can figure another way to use it.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 08:01   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Interesting comment from Acoustiblok per RoyM above. I will paste in the two comments I got from someone else there:

"
Thanks for your interest.

We offer Acoustiblok in 4’ x 5’ sheets at $65.00 we also have the tape and adhesive needed. If you will get back to me with a shipping address and tell a little more about your project and how many sq. ft. you want to treat I’ll get back to you with a quote.

Best Regards,
Paul Getts
813-980-1400 ex 225

Watch this!
https://vimeo.com/123010204"

And second email:
" Thanks for the quick reply. Acoustiblok can be used with out adding furring as long as it is spot glued. Your correct we want the material to be able to vibrate some. It will handle temps up to about 210 degrees and does not give off a small or Flammable. In the case of a fire it will melt and then smoke. Get back to me when you arte ready and I’ll be happy to help with your project."

I had asked specifically about flammability. I did not ask about USCG issues. I wasn't aware that the USCG has to approve every material used on a boat. The website shows products used specifically on yachts so there is a disconnect here somewhere. I don't think "hiding" is a good practice unless a sandwich changes the properties enough to pass some test.

One issue that has occurred to me is that the material is black. It is really nice to have a light color for the insides of an engine room as they are dark enough already.

My sense is that the material would work for an engine room but I am not ready to tackle that project yet.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 14:00   #19

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

I recently used Dynamat - installed professionally to quiet my pickup truck engine noise and just one layer cut noise down by 50%.
the simple fact is that weight is the ONLY thing that stops noise - foam is a phony -
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 14:52   #20

Boat: sloop 35'

I used Whispermat 1" thick and cannot believe the difference. It works way better than the 2" egg crate foam that I removed and I still have to finish all the nooks and crannies with the pile of scraps that I have from doing the main walls. When finished it may be hard to tell if the engine is running!
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 15:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Interesting comment from Acoustiblok per RoyM above. I will paste in the two comments I got from someone else there:

"
Thanks for your interest.

We offer Acoustiblok in 4’ x 5’ sheets at $65.00 we also have the tape and adhesive needed. If you will get back to me with a shipping address and tell a little more about your project and how many sq. ft. you want to treat I’ll get back to you with a quote.

Best Regards,
Paul Getts
813-980-1400 ex 225

Watch this!
https://vimeo.com/123010204"

And second email:
" Thanks for the quick reply. Acoustiblok can be used with out adding furring as long as it is spot glued. Your correct we want the material to be able to vibrate some. It will handle temps up to about 210 degrees and does not give off a small or Flammable. In the case of a fire it will melt and then smoke. Get back to me when you arte ready and I’ll be happy to help with your project."

I had asked specifically about flammability. I did not ask about USCG issues. I wasn't aware that the USCG has to approve every material used on a boat. The website shows products used specifically on yachts so there is a disconnect here somewhere. I don't think "hiding" is a good practice unless a sandwich changes the properties enough to pass some test.

One issue that has occurred to me is that the material is black. It is really nice to have a light color for the insides of an engine room as they are dark enough already.

My sense is that the material would work for an engine room but I am not ready to tackle that project yet.
The reference to USCG was for INSPECTED vessels. Yes, they do check everything for Inspected (carrying passengers for $$). That's been the case since the Titanic.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men