Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 19:19   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
2020 CAMERA GoPro type Advice

After Xmas Holidays we want to treat ourselves to a rugged small camera to use on tender or beach or snorkeling.

Primarily to keep from using our phone camera outdoors and to video our travel memories for family.

Love to send them Time Lapse video of Sunset/Sunrise at anchor so I guess it needs some kind of stabilization? Built in, or attached??

Looking for good quality and versatility but I'm not a photographer
and as this is just for family it will not become an expensive hobby.

Editing will need to be done with free software for dummies

Recommendations on what I need and buyers choice for 2020 greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 20:25   #2

Boat: Tartan 28
Re: 2020 CAMERA GoPro type Advice

The GoPro Hero 7 would fit the bill. I have one that works well. It works best if you get a stick for it. I bought a floating carbon fiber stick off Amazon for cheap that works great. It does have some free software that you can make quick movies with, but the software isn’t really that great for full editing. It kind of just makes some random clips and puts it together for you. iMovie on the iPhone or iPad is free and much better. The batteries on a GoPro dont last a real long time if you are doing movies. Maybe an hour or so?

I know you mention not taking your phone, but unless you are doing underwater pics and video, the iPhone 11 Pro is fantastic for video and pics, including wide angle. It’s water proof. I’d strongly consider just using that unless you want a submersible camera on a stick.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 20:33   #3

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post

I know you mention not taking your phone, but unless you are doing underwater pics and video, the iPhone 11 Pro is fantastic for video and pics, including wide angle. It’s water proof. I’d strongly consider just using that unless you want a submersible camera on a stick.
Actually, the iPhones are water resistant. Not waterproof. They can take some dunking, but they are not underwater cameras.

There are lots of underwater cases for iPhones and Androids. The nice thing is that you don't have to learn to navigate it, and more easy to share.

I bought a GoPro easily 2 years ago that I have never used. Just bought a phone case that I am ready to go play with.
Old 02-12-2019, 22:04   #4
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post

There are lots of underwater cases for iPhones and Androids. The nice thing is that you don't have to learn to navigate it, and more easy to share.

I bought a GoPro easily 2 years ago that I have never used. Just bought a phone case that I am ready to go play with.
That's interesting, I did not know you could buy waterproof housings (case) for phones.

I use a Samsung Note phone and there are waterproof cases for it?
How deep are they rated for?
Old 02-12-2019, 22:31   #5

Boat: Islander 36

I just did a guick Google and didn't get very far. Did a search in Amazon and got better results.

2nd question, the depth rating spreads. 10 meters +. What I just got for my iPhone claims a rating for 80 meters.
Old 02-12-2019, 23:09   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

SJCam SJ6 and a NoirMatter Quark stabilizer https://noirmatter.com/collections/s...ark-stabilizer work for me.

I use one of these to rail mount it...https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jaws-Fle...QAAOSw3nRdX1wd but don't bother with the gooseneck.
Old 02-12-2019, 23:13   #7
CF Adviser

While waiting for this typhoon to arrive Ive been checking reviews.
This one compares the Hero 7 to 8 with the Iphone 11 pro.

Lots to ponder and the key question is do I want to risk my smartphone, which is my go to reference device of all things

https://youtu.be/LswwlVo0JM8
Old 03-12-2019, 03:16   #8

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I bought a cheap Go Pro clone, linked below. Also bought a GoPro RAM ball mount. Then I used a variety of RAM mounting arms to attach to various places on my boat for a race. Rail, end of boom, I even made up a mag base. Allows me to angle the camera exactly as I want. This camera accepts all GoPro mounts, hardware etc.

I can't remember if I shot in 1080 or 4K but it was fine quality. Good enough for what I wanted. Mine also came with a wrist strap remote which was handy when I had the boom swung way out.

For $60 it was def worth it.

I also used it to shoot a time lapse video I did where a bunch of us volunteered to swap out a boiler for someone. To do that I removed the outer case and powered it with a external Powerpack. That went 12 hours. The regular battery won't last that long on any of these camera types.

https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-Underwa...2B1/ref=sr_1_7

Here's mine how I usually use it, RAM mount, to RAM handle to another RAM ball meant for rails or handlebars. I then attached 2 very high strength magnets. Likely not a lot of carbon steel on your boat but I use it for industrial purposes mostly. I mounted a flat RAM ball to end of my boom so I can attach camera very quickly to boom, pivot it down (camera has an upside down mode!) and get great boom shots, all while controlling from wrist remote. The wrist remote allows you to start/stop video as well as take still shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_061728.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	204271  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:31   #9

Try this:
paralenz.com

I just bought one: fantastic!
pupuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:18   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Look at Yi 4k I have one and have been very happy with it. It is a knock off that is better than the GoPro but it is still about $200. There are now cheaper knock offs of the knock offs called MI for about $60

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Spo...5393308&sr=8-3
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:31   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Go pros are the 'name brand' with associated cost. There are a number of clones that take as good or better pics. I have onc called the SJ4000 by SJCAM. Pic quality is slightly better than the Go Pro (don't confuse pic quality which is largly governed by the lense with resolution, ie number of picsels often lower res gives better pics because there is less interference in the chip and electronics). So second vote for that one. If you are posting on line you are usually only working at low res anyway and almost anything will be fine. You only need high res images for printing larger images. Pic quality though is always important as if your images are unsharp with week/inaccurate colours you may be dissapointed so always look at some sample images before buying.
I bought the SJ direct from china and I think it was about $30US including the dive case.
For mounting they do a kit of clamps and I fou d the pole clamp really useful as it fits the end og the boat hook. Strap the boat hook to the back stay and you can do some fun time lape vidio of the cocpit. Also great for filming dolpins off the bow. The other clamp I find great is the little trypods with nobbly legs that wrap around things.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50   #12

I have used a Hero 3 for years (and still use it) and recently got a Hero 8.
The Hero 8 has a much better image stabilization than previous models (although I have not compared it with Hero 7). It is also reasonably rugged and is supposed to be waterproof to shallow depths. However, for taking it scuba diving or snorkeling or on other "adventures", I still think you need the protective case. In practice, you really want to be sure that the camera can take abuse (for example, I used the camera on the stick as a "weapon" to fend off a barracuda...), so having it inside a case is a must, in my opinion. It will also eventually end up at the bottom of the dinghy and somebody will step on it, so it needs to survive.

The battery life has improved, but not dramatically. As others have noted, battery life is a major practical issue with these things. Carrying spare batteries and changing batteries, for example, in the dinghy or on the dive boat, is always kind of risky. If you want to take extensive videos of dives and snorkeling, you really need two cameras.

As for the waterproof cases for smartphones, I have used them successfully, but are not my choice for general use near the water. In fact, since the smartphone is so critical for other things and you need something really rugged to survive the rigors of being thrown around on the boat, I think it is not worth the risk and you are much better off with the GoPros. The other advantage of GoPros is that you can mount filters on them, which makes quite a difference in the water. Also, if you want to use underwater lighting, the mounts for the Heros are much better than what you can use with smartphone cases.

Finally, you should also have a look at waterproof cases for other cameras that you may already have. For example, I have a Sony RX 100 camera and there is an excellent case available (although quite pricey).
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:07   #13
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I've been using a Contour camera attached to the top of my sailing helmet for years.

https://store.contour.com/

Yes, I wear a helmet - doesn't everyone?

Stabilization? I use my "sensorimotor control systems." It's attached to my head, and my "sea legs" work better than any expensive gyroscope.

I also have a GoPro. I don't use it much, and only in fixed mountings - never on my helmet. The GoPro stands so high on my head that it hits my cabin overhead down below, it's heavier, and because of its shape and size it's much more vulnerable to being snagged by a line.

The Contour lens allows optical orientation (on its side, inverted, etc.) which works much better than rotating the video electronically - which causes cropping and alias distortion (I used to be a network TV video engineer - maybe you won't notice).

The biggest advantage is the smaller size and weight. The Contour has taken many seawater splashes without a problem (I also don't need to put it in a plastic case). It's easy to switch on and off without fumbling around to find a little button or using something unnecessary, expensive, and goofy; like a radio remote.

It's also cheaper. Their marketing isn't very good, so that's why you may not of heard of it.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I've ben using a Contour camera attached to the top of my sailing helmet for years.

https://store.contour.com/
Interesting product

Dodgy web page .... clicking on the two cameras brings up 'page not found'.... clicking on 'camera' button at top brings up a Safari 'survey'... seems everyone wins an Iphone 11!!

Took a second look...clicked a second button.... now I have won two Iphones!!

Avoid.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipstar.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	204293  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:39   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Yeah. Something's wrong with the web page. I wouldn't purchase anything there. Get it on Amazon instead. I suspect the website has been hijacked. Sorry. I should have clicked around before posting the link.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera