Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 14:29   #16

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: 2020 CAMERA GoPro type Advice

I have one of the orignal Contour 2 i used for motorcycling. It was really easy to use. They went out of business for awhile and support was nonexistent. I think they were revived but the new cheap knockoffs probably did them in again.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 15:15   #17

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
After Xmas Holidays we want to treat ourselves to a rugged small camera to use on tender or beach or snorkeling.

Primarily to keep from using our phone camera outdoors and to video our travel memories for family.

Love to send them Time Lapse video of Sunset/Sunrise at anchor so I guess it needs some kind of stabilization? Built in, or attached??

Looking for good quality and versatility but I'm not a photographer
and as this is just for family it will not become an expensive hobby.

Editing will need to be done with free software for dummies

Recommendations on what I need and buyers choice for 2020 greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
First thing you need to do is determine the minimum image quality you are willing to accept. This may not be as easy as it seems since a lot of stuff on the internet is more the result of post processing than the sensor/lens in the camera. As for software for editing download the Da Vinci Resolve freebie; nothing else comes close. There is a learning curve but plenty of youtube vids to get you up to speed on the basics.

As others have pointed out GoPro's price point is higher than a lot of clones that mostly use the same sensor/lens as a GoPro. GoPro does have a lot of accessories that fill needs; and the clones are catching up. There are also other form factors that perform the same function as a GoPro. One thing almost all these cameras have in common is poor quality audio; especially if there is any wind.

You may want to spend some time on youtube viewing various reviews/shootouts between GoPro type cameras. I would also suggest you look into some of the 360 action cameras. While they are a little more expensive and may require more post processing they have huge advantages in terms of the final product since you don't have to pay attention to what is in the field of view since everything is in the field of view.

Now comes the hard part; setting a price point and seeing which cameras fit your price point. I am a big fan of the Insta360 One X with a waterproof case and have been happy with the vids it produces; even if there is no good audio. I also have a DJI Pocket Osmo which has super image stabilization and also has a waterproof case for diving. Sony does have some great RX series cameras which I also have. Right now my go to camera is the Sony RX0. It is about the same size as a GoPro, has a one inch sensor (all the other cameras have a less than 1/2 inch sensor which in simple terms means four times better image quality) an input jack for real audio and audio control in the menu, and with a Small Rig cage I can put a dead cat on the mike. The RX0 II seems way more durable than any of my three GoPros and the image quality is way better. Did I mention out of the box it is also waterproof.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:51   #18

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
After Xmas Holidays we want to treat ourselves to a rugged small camera to use on tender or beach or snorkeling.

Primarily to keep from using our phone camera outdoors and to video our travel memories for family.

Love to send them Time Lapse video of Sunset/Sunrise at anchor so I guess it needs some kind of stabilization? Built in, or attached??

Looking for good quality and versatility but I'm not a photographer
and as this is just for family it will not become an expensive hobby.

Editing will need to be done with free software for dummies

Recommendations on what I need and buyers choice for 2020 greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Seems - due to their outstanding marketing no doubt - that most people think of GoPro or the copies. When I wanted an action camera, I looked at what was around including Contour, but in the end went with a GoPro for various reasons including 4k ability, and the extensive range of accessories.

Then Sony came out with their updated FDR-X3000 Action Cam.
https://store.sony.com.au/action-camera

I bought one, and I have not used the GoPro since. It is easier to use, a nicer and handier form-factor, standard 1/4" tripod socket, 4K and just feels right. They of course come with a proper little water-proof dive housing, but if you get the accessory lens protector for above water use, it really is a perfect little camera that with the push of just one button is recording, and discretely so. Also, it has a standard socket for an external microphone! Look out for a bundled kit with the wrist-mounted screen and controller, which is good value.

https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/image...0829001925.jpg

The only time I would use my GoPro now is in a chest or perhaps head-mount situation.

The other accessory I have added is the little GoPro 'Shorty' - mini extension pole and tripod. Apart from a very versatile tripod, if makes a great handle, and also selfy-stick.
https://gopro.com/en/au/shop/mounts-...AFTTM-001.html
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:57   #19

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Actually, the iPhones are water resistant. Not waterproof. They can take some dunking, but they are not underwater cameras.

There are lots of underwater cases for iPhones and Androids. The nice thing is that you don't have to learn to navigate it, and more easy to share.

I bought a GoPro easily 2 years ago that I have never used. Just bought a phone case that I am ready to go play with.
The iPhone 11 is rated waterproof at 4 metres for 30 minutes, which is a good start for most photos, and far exceeds the capabilities and battery life of a GoPro. Apple always understate how waterproof their kit is too — my original Apple Watch was supposedly not waterproof at all but I swam and showered with it for four years without issue.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 18:33   #20

Boat: Islander 36

[QUOTE=Tillsbury;3028944]The iPhone 11 is rated waterproof at 4 metres for 30 minutes, ...QUOTE]

copy paste from Google

"According to Apple's technical specifications, the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max all have a water resistance rating of IP68. ..."

Keyword "Resistant"
Old 03-12-2019, 19:27   #21

I have a GoPro 5 Hero Black that takes outstanding video. Not quite as good as the 7's, but at some point enough is enough, and the 5 does all I need. Seen a couple of knock offs that seem to do a really good job at videos.
Tons of people buy them with the mindset that they will be videoing everything, only to have used them a couple times and then almost never to been used again. I fall into that category. Look for a used one on ebay or such. Also keep in mind your computer will have to be able to process the video. I have a 5-6 yr old MacBook Pro and run into issues where my videos are too high of a resolution that my laptop cant process the video. Have 20 or so videos now stored on my laptop that I cant view, that I am saving until I buy a new laptop, or figure our how to convert the video format to play. I'm not PC savy enough to do that, so the videos are being saved, unviewable.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 19:42   #22

[QUOTE=Minggat;3028978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The iPhone 11 is rated waterproof at 4 metres for 30 minutes, ...QUOTE]

copy paste from Google

"According to Apple's technical specifications, the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max all have a water resistance rating of IP68. ..."

Keyword "Resistant"
Ok, it's "water resistant" to a maximum of 4 metres for 30 minutes. Same result.
Old 03-12-2019, 19:57   #23

The difference between water-resistant and waterproof in smartphones. ... "The technical definition of water resistant is that it's able to resist the penetration of water to a certain degree, but not entirely. Waterproof technically means that it's impermeable to water, no matter how much time it spends in water."

Most importantly, don't try using any buttons or switches on a water resistant device.

Anyone buying an IPhone with hopes to use is underwater might have trouble explaining that they only used it snorkeling. It's not for use underwater. But it can take a dunking.

"same result" doesn't fit.
Old 03-12-2019, 20:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
I have a 5-6 yr old MacBook Pro and run into issues where my videos are too high of a resolution that my laptop cant process the video. Have 20 or so videos now stored on my laptop that I cant view, that I am saving until I buy a new laptop, or figure our how to convert the video format to play. .
This is good to know....
or heartbreaking.

So if not too fussy, best record is lower resolution?
Old 03-12-2019, 23:07   #25

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
This is good to know....
or heartbreaking.

So if not too fussy, best record is lower resolution?
In years to come - and not that many of them, 1080p/2k will be like the VHS/Beta of earlier days. 8k is already being pushed, and although really only applicable for big TV's, with the number of 'smart' TV's out there now, more and more people are viewing their 'home movies' and YouTube clips on big TV's. I am slowly converting all my gear to 4k to future-proof as much as possible my videos etc
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 23:24   #26

4k doesn't half eat your space though, and require a reasonable computer to process easily. The resolution race isn't endless. 1080p is more detail than most videographers are capable of making good use of, and anything higher is only visible when you're really looking, and not transmitted by YouTube or most other services anyway. I watch sailing videos on an 85" TV and the difference between a well-shot 1080p video and something higher is not noticeable unless you're looking (and the video is worth it).

Computers validly got to 4k/5k because it's worthwhile for clarity when reading text. They aren't moving a lot beyond that because the benefits are so tiny. The same doesn't apply to videos.

Obviously you should be recording in at least 1080 (for at least the last decade), but it is more important to concentrate on the quality of the equipment and care of the shoot than it is to spend money on thinking that shooting everything in 4k will make your videos better. Sometimes it's worth it to ensure you can crop or pan to get a better result. But running out of card space four times faster than you would in HD could easily let you lose the shot. When sailing it's good to have a number of cameras running constantly and then you can get your choice of shot.
Old 04-12-2019, 00:02   #27

Contour is a version of camera that was sold under Many Many names, I believe they stopped making them a few years ago. Which is a shame 'cause they had good video..

@US1Fountain :: What you are looking for might be here at the price you like ,, Free
Audio and video converters I have been using the software for a while. It is DONATIONware
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:37   #28

Boat: Oyster 49

I have a Muvi from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veho-VCC-00...01DVUOSW6?th=1

I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. There are some negative reviews on the Amazon site that I find hard to understand. The camera works fine for me. I use the wireless link to my tablet occasionally. I use the underwater housing regularly without a problem

Video quality is great

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 12:13   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It really depends on your preferences. A GoPro or Sony would be a "safe" approach, at a high price. OTOH you could buy several clones, placing them around the boat, for the same money. Unless you are a professional needing the best quality I would just buy the cheapies. I buy things from a number of Chinese vendors and recommend that approach, if you can be patient for the 3-6 week delivery times (although this is changing rapidly to US warehouses). This morning I noticed a GoPro clone on sale for $39 from a US warehouse, which appears to be the same as others linked earlier. Without the discount to their email list it is $44: https://www.banggood.com/EKEN-H9R-Sp...p-1057866.html

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 14:27   #30

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I have used an SJ4000, SJ 6000 and now have a SJ 9000 with Wifi,
All were mounted on the front of my bike and have been ridden in torrential rain,
I wipe the lens occasionally to get the water globules off the lens,
To stop wind noise and get good sound, I just put a piece of sticky tape over the microphone,
Extremely good videos and sound, With no vibration or shake,
The video's upload to Facebook very easily,
They have done many thousands of miles in pouring rain,

The first one was $60-00 USD, free delivery,
The second one was about $50-00 USD with free delivery,

The SJ9000 was $36-00 AUD, ($30-00 USD) Free delivery, It was cheaper than buying a broken part for my SJ6000 Gopro copy,
I dont use the Wifi as I can push the start button with my gloves on,

They all came with all the accessories I would ever need,
I bought them all on Ebay.com from China,
I bought four spare Batterys for them,
I get about 90 minutes per battery,
I run a 34 GB micro card in them,
They are fully waterproof to 30 metres, Waterproof case is included,
I just plug it into my PC with a USB and it down loads the videos and pictures automatically,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Camera 001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	204987   Click image for larger version

Name:	New gopro camera  12-4-2019 001.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	204988  

Click image for larger version