Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 09:02   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Working towards reducing piracy

Interesting article I thought I would share,

On February 8, Shell, BP, Maersk, Stena and the Japanese shipping companies NYK, MOL and “K” Line announced their joint collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to support job creation and capacity-building projects in Somalia in eastern Africa. By contributing to the rebuilding of stability in the country, the industry partners hope to reduce the risk of piracy to seafarers in the Indian Ocean.
The collaboration between many in the shipping industry and UNDP is the first step in an initiative launched in February 2012, which coincided with the London Conference on Somalia. Last year, Shell played a leading role in securing industry backing.

Safer seas, new choices
Grahaeme Henderson, VP Shell Shipping says, “The safety of seafarers is the priority of all of us involved in this maritime industry led initiative. By working with the UNDP to help provide alternative livelihoods we hope to support local communities and help reduce the threat to seafarers in the area.”
The industry partners will provide funding of $1 million to the UNDP, which will oversee the distribution of the funds in 2013 and 2014. They’ll also provide an extra $1.5 million to support further capacity-building projects in Somalia to be announced later.
The UNDP will focus on supporting long-term youth employment with the aim of providing viable employment alternatives to piracy for Somalia’s youth in the agriculture, livestock and fishing sectors. Young people in Puntland and Central Somalia will receive start-up grants and basic tools necessary to establish new businesses or expand existing ones. In addition, those who wish to develop their knowledge and skills can receive management, marketing or business related training in the coastal and city target areas.
The industry partners selected the UNDP because of its existing footprint in coastal and city centres in Somalia and the alignment of their objectives with those of the UNDP project “Alternative Livelihoods to Piracy in Pundtland and Central Regions”. UNDP hopes the initiative will help lay the foundation for a future generation in Somalia that has choices and no longer supports or condones piracy.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Working towards reducing piracy

So they are giving millions of dollars to pirates so the pirates wont take millions of dollars?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Providing opportunity for young people is the only possibility for a stable world.

Sadly, with all the internet access. It seems easier for youth to feel like they don't have all they should and get pissed off.

Good luck finding a solution...... Maybe apply for a job as the Walton's butler in there Bentonville bunker?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

There is no proof that better economy mitigates criminality. We only know that countries that mitigated criminality ended up with better economies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
There is no proof that better economy mitigates criminality. We only know that countries that mitigated criminality ended up with better economies.
In the case of Somalia:

better any sort of economy -> functional government
functional government -> laws and law enforcement
law enforcement -> less Somalia-based piracy

In other words, Somalia bottomed out. They don't have functional government. Kickstarting an economy is the only alternative to just shovelling money to a (non-functional) government.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I (...)

In other words, Somalia bottomed out. They don't have functional government. Kickstarting an economy is the only alternative to just shovelling money to a (non-functional) government.
There is no proof this works. Contrary to what some may think, one cannot give governments to areas that apparently do not need or want one. Somalia, like any other African place, is an aftertaste of European presence. There was no Somalia before the colonies, and there is no such thing as Somalia today - it is all a bunch of tribes/families each pulling their way.

Not to say I know a better solution. Better try, fail, adjust and try again than sit and do nothing saying nothing can be done.(?) Piracy there is an issue and I am very glad someone is trying to do something.

Would it not be better for everybody if the area called Somalia got annexed by some well governed state existing nearby? Saudi Arabia perhaps?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
There is no proof this works. Contrary to what some may think, one cannot give governments to areas that apparently do not need or want one. Somalia, like any other African place, is an aftertaste of European presence. There was no Somalia before the colonies, and there is no such thing as Somalia today - it is all a bunch of tribes/families each pulling their way.
Obviously writing a cheque and sending some wishful thinking isn't a magic instant solution - but gotta start somewhere!

Every tribe needs and wants rules (or they cease to exist) - they just don't always want the same rules that work for us . As you state, in the case of Somali no local call for a nation called Somalia.....but that same for most of Africa - loads of borders of nation states which the locals never fought for (The DRC? WTF is that about?! - apart from being designed and continued as a great way to loot an area of natural resources).

Quote:
Not to say I know a better solution. Better try, fail, adjust and try again than sit and do nothing saying nothing can be done.(?) Piracy there is an issue and I am very glad someone is trying to do something.
There has always been an easy answer - and that is dividing Somalia up into bite sized chunks (3 or 4 states).....but the principle of doing that to a nation state has always been resisted by "us" for fear of encouraging same happening locally. Instead we persist with the fiction of nations like Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi, USA , DRC and Somali (and most of Africa!)....and pay the price in cash and blood accordingly (on the upside "we" usually get cheap resources ). The only abberation was Yugoslavia, and that because da sh#t was on our doorstep - and they had no oil. nor much else that could be loaded onto trucks or ships.

In Somalia, Somaliland has been trying to get independence for years (and is pretty much a functioning state). Puntland just needs a good nudge ....the rest? well, give 'em Islam ....and wait for evolution!

Quote:
Would it not be better for everybody if the area called Somalia got annexed by some well governed state existing nearby? Saudi Arabia perhaps?

b.
"We" have been fighting in Somali (mostly by proxy) to prevent exactly that!, not from a formal annexation but from the shared ideology (the mental end of Islam)......personally I am all in favour of Islamic Sharia based Government - as long as I don't live there . Some places are simply not civilised enough to cope with the rule of law, and religous law is better than none. and cheaper too (usually only need a few blokes with beards making **** up as they go along). Worked in Europe with Christianity until we got civilised ("when I was a child I beleived in childish things" ). Other parts of the west () still working on ditching the woo as a form of government (and backer of their currecny? )........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 13:26   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

And All I wanted to was to share a little good news,,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Good news? 2.5 mil. is a pittance in today's economy.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:11   #10
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Small businesses grows and make money, need banks and lawyers......new crime starts!

I'm kidding!

I bet 2.5M buys a lot of capital for little start-ups in a place like Somalia. I just hope that it makes it to the people who want to start the small businesses and not to criminals pretending to be officials.
Old 11-02-2013, 14:26   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I know a solution for Somalia, but it would put all the ammunitions demolition plants out of business....

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

How many of you have actually been to Somalia or know anything of the turbulent times those folks have had thrust on them in recent times? I find a lot of remarks so far to be totally off the mark because I have sailed to Somalia and many other poor countries that are struggling to maintain order with no infrastructure and no money coming in.

This plan to create employment for the Somalia population is just what is needed to solve the current horrible situation and I applaud the shipping companies for taking the initiative. To the rest of you I suggest you read how devastating drought took away the meager food source the Somalian's had, how when their weak government collapsed how two war lords seize control and forced the population into battle, How in this weakened condition, first world countries took advantage of this turmoil to firstly rape the seas of fish, their only food source, then dumped tons of radioactive material off Somalia that has caused great sickness and killing many of their children with poison.
Piracy has always been a factor in this region, but never did they attack international shipping until driven to it by desperation.
Old 12-02-2013, 13:27   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Piracy has always been a factor in this region, but never did they attack international shipping until driven to it by desperation.
I agree with you for the general population of Somalia, but not for the pirates. I am sure you know the wealth they live in and how they are financed by London investors?! From the beginning of times there have only been one effective way of dealing with pirates and that is a harsh way.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:14   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I agree with you for the general population of Somalia, but not for the pirates. I am sure you know the wealth they live in and how they are financed by London investors?! From the beginning of times there have only been one effective way of dealing with pirates and that is a harsh way.
The Pirates are ex-fishermen financed by the warlords, who may be financed by your London Investors. But the fishermen would much rather be providing for their families by fishing, not risking their lives with AK47s and Swat Teams.

Give them back a chance to provide for their families and many will stop being nasty people.
Old 12-02-2013, 14:19   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

and we end right back as always to the parallel argument of it being OK for a homeless person to break into your house,steal your stuff, and kill you etc

I'm for working on improving the conditions and increasing the opportunities of the people in general! But for pirates attacking shipping, yachts, and killing people there is only 1 answer.

Tags
piracy