Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 20:22   #1

Boat: Roberts 370 Expedition
Working at the top of the mast

Hi All

I recently posted about safety practices/equipment for climbing a stepped mast. Following that, I've now bought a rope-grab and full harness both of which work really well. As mentioned, the mast is stepped and my earlier post was about fall protection whilst climbing.

I'll be doing a fair bit of work at the top of the mast - VHF antenna and new coax, new tricolour and cables and possibly new anemometer cable. So I have been looking for a means of tightly holding me to the mast whilst I work with both hands free. I've seen many climbing and arborist aides like a pole strap but all I've seen don't tighten short enough to really secure me against the mast. They're also pretty expensive.

The idea I'm now dreaming up (which many may have thought before me!) is a webbing strap with carabineers at each end (to clip to the harness) and a secure and easy adjust buckle to tighten/loosen. But so far I haven't found anything like this so if I go down this route, I'll need to get one made up.

I thought I'd reach out and ask the forum what you think about my plan and/or if you've got any other ideas? I could well be missing an easier solution.

Thanks everyone. Wideocean 7.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 19:49   #2

Boat: J/36
Re: Working at the top of the mast

The last problem I had at the top of the mast was heat stroke. After an hour or so inspecting the rigging and instruments on a sunny hot day I came down in not so good shape: fuzzy vision and feeling weak. Resting and drinking canned iced tea didn't help. In the Emergency Room of the hospital they gave me about two liters of water intravenously. Doing things like that to your system can cause permanent damage to your liver and kidneys. Take some water up with you.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 20:55   #3

Boat: Roberts 370 Expedition

Very good point well made. Iíll watch out for that.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 21:08   #4

A bosun's chair is more comfortable than a climbing harness for long periods.

If you mean that your mast has foodholds when you characterize it as a "stepped mast" then a lineman's belt and safety strap AKA pole strap may give you the lateral support you need.

Seek in-person mentorship and instruction because answers in text will not make you a safe climber

Tags
mast, work