Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 13:47   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Why Do We Tolerate Sun-rotting PFDs?

The USCG standard for recreational PFDs allows cloth that rots within a year in the sun. That means we can't keep them out in reach, or hang up cushions as throws for MOB, unless we buy commercial types. I've tried raising the point with the Coast Guard standards people, and so far they have not even acknowledged receipt. Why in the world have our safety equipment for fun in the sun unable to withstand sun? There is plenty of ultraviolet resistant cloth out there, and the increase in cost for something like a cushion or lifejacket would not be much. Thoughts?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 14:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Why Do We Tolerate Sun-rotting PFDs?

Are you talking about those huge orange things the likes of which are issued on a cruise ship?

I don't understand the US obsession with them, in Europe everyone seems to wear inflatable life jackets, less kids and they last much longer than a year. I have just chucked two in the bin, they were bought in 2003.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 14:10   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

tkeithlu,

What I have done is cover them with sunbrella covers with either zip (preferred) or velcro closures. Coasties come by, take the unsullied square cushion out of its sunbrella case to show you have it. Put it back in after they've gone. Use a color that matches your cockpit cushions. I use the #5 ykk zips, they work fine. Hide the zip in one of the seams, if you prefer, running it around 2 corners so that it comes out and goes back in fast. The straps last longer, but not much, so it's good to cover them.

Basically, anything they'll fit in that will protect them will work, even old T-shirts or pillow slips.

Ann
Old 07-07-2016, 14:11   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

When you want to know why ask who benefits.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 17:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not quite, Pete7, those are commercial Type I PDFs in the American system; you could never sail in them. I'm talking about our recreational level jackets and seat cushions, the ones every recreational boat has to carry. In part because except for some state laws largely covering children, we are not required to wear them, and they rot in the sun, they end up in very inaccessible lockers, exactly where they are useless. They are not the only problem. Is there any record anywhere of any boat in distress getting assistance because it flew the silly little orange and black flag that comes in distress kits? I like the slip cover idea for overcoming the problem, but why have the problem in the first place when my cheap tent carport has sun resistant cloth?
Old 07-07-2016, 17:57   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Depends on the style of the life jackets, of course, but a friend of mine made a sunbrella stuff sack for them, uses them for backrests in the cockpit. Not as comfy as bean bags, though.

Nylon is easier to sew, more flexible than sunbrella, and at least Weather Max, which is more flexible than sunbrella. That may be why nylon is used. But, like barnakiel suggested, there is a product motive in planned obsolescence. However, it may wind up being that good, lightweight, flexible sun-blocking fabric is too expensive, would drive the costs up more than you think. Consider the cost of the sun-blocking shirts, that's about enough to cover a foam lifejacket.

How about storing them in a net bag slung under the overhead of a quarter berth for easier access, but also sun protection?

Ann
Old 08-07-2016, 05:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Depends on the style of the life jackets, of course, but a friend of mine made a sunbrella stuff sack for them, uses them for backrests in the cockpit. Not as comfy as bean bags, though.
If the authorities notice it they may get cranky. As a kid, we had the seat cushion ones with the arm straps. My Dad got a lecture one time that you can't sit on them because it would destroy their flotation.

These were 10yr old cushions that we would use regularly when we went swimming (never seemed to have a problem with them sinking). Of course, they were a heavy vinyl cover.

If you have the space, I would suggest stow the legal requirement someplace out of the sun where they will last for years and then get some cushions with straps that float to actually keep and use on the back deck where they are handy in an emergency.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had one of those vinyl zippered containers for mine--no i didnt buy the damn thing, it was a gift, waaay back in prehistory when i still owned both sailboats and stinkpots.
the containment items have zippers and can be found in yellow and in white. i am sure wm has em at an inflated price.
they are always found in boat shows
they can be seen in power boats and on sailboats. some have long handle so as to carry it. and the ones i have seen have been labelled specifically for pfds.
so, to answer your question, it is like that so wm can sell you a containment device in which to store them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17   #9

Who in their right mind would still be using those old fashion life vests? Belt packs, vest packs, and tethers should have long ago replaced the may west style of vests.
BTW: during ww2, a lot of folks that abandoned ships with their vests strapped tight against their bodies were essentially decapitated or necks snapped when the vests jammed hard against the head when they hit the water. So if you are caught having to jump 60 feet into the water from a burning passenger ship, hold the may west type life vest in one hand, open handed so you do not loose a hand. It will be there when you come up from the deep. Then put it on.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:28   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

I decided to bring home our automatic vests and have them professionally serviced. They are about 10years old. I took the CO2 tank out and put them in our carry on baggage. TSA Guatemala would not let them go through. It had nothing to do with the little tank or anything like that, they saw them as some sort of threat.. They referred to them as "belt things". I pleaded , I told them every seat on the plane had one that looked just about like these. Finally they called a gate agent over and he cleared things up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:03   #11

CO2 cartridges are verboten on airlines in the US, either on you or in your luggage. We had a pack of them taken from our luggage and disposed of. Told in very stern words not allowed on the plane. Meanwhile a guy with an oxygen cylinder was allowed on board. Go figure.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:48   #12

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
CO2 cartridges are verboten on airlines in the US, either on you or in your luggage. We had a pack of them taken from our luggage and disposed of. Told in very stern words not allowed on the plane. Meanwhile a guy with an oxygen cylinder was allowed on board. Go figure.
TSA specifically allows life vests and their gas cylinders in both carry-on and checked baggage.
Small Compressed Gas Cartridges
Up to two in life vests and two spares. The spares must accompany the personal flotation device and presented as one unit.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ohibited-items
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 13:19   #13

Boat: Tartan T4400

Wow interesting discussion, but I have to ask why are you leaving you life jackets out in the sun? All I have is 1's and keep them in a sail bag stored in the lazerette locker along with a ditch bag that I hope to never use. You can grab and go. If the conditions require we wear the inflatable jackets with a built in harness. I am not 100% sure if there are currently any inflatable life jackets that are count if you are not actually wearing them. I know the belt type did not 5 years ago. A harness does not count.
My throw able device (horseshoe) has a sunbrella cover and lives on the stern push pit in the Hawaii sun. I also have a MOM-8 that is on for offshore sailing.
I have flown may times for a charter or regatta with our inflatable life jackets, I copy the TSA instruction put it with the CO2 cartridges and tell the people when I check in I have never had a problem. One agent looked at the and only comment was that good I can read the markings. I even took my MOM 8 as baggage we did remove the CO2 cartridge.
The black and orange flag is an international distress signal. I can't say that any one has been rescued because of it but I do know if you have to abandon ship anything that is brightly colored is a help. I keep one of the 50 orange streamers on my ditch bag. I have one of the smaller ones attached to our inflatable life jackets. Any thing to make self more visible if I am in the water.
Had some friends who lost the keel on their sail boat 10 miles off shore. There dingy was only partially inflated they got separated from the boat and were with the dinghy the CG helicopter made four or five passes before spotting them.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 17:09   #14

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

because they are cheap / we can buy expensive ones that are sun safe / we have stormy seas pfd1 jackets / defender overalls pfd1 / te'havs overalls with manual inflate pfd1 yokes /several closed cell cushions / board vest for kayaking / that's just for 2 pob liveaboard / they are all coated with uv spray as well as sails, hats,gloves most things that can be coated that uv may eat / usually if they change colour fast they need protecting / we have been hoping the powers to be don't put a useby date on pfd's same as flares, epirb batteries etc
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 17:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow! UV spray! I didn't know that it existed. Thanks so much!

Tags
pfd, rot