Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I'll be buying harnesses. I'm not qualified to design and build one of those. Jacklines and tethers, no problem, but not a harness. I wouldn't ever use a plastic buckle for anything more important than a surfboard.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34   #17

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Could I use my Hobie18 trapeze harness for this purpose?

Assuming I added a proper carabiner in place of the hook.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:48   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
dont forget the 400 percent markup on marine gear. did you try mountain climbing gear?????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:08   #19

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
In addition to mountain climbing gear, it's worth dropping by a construction workers union hall and asking them where they like to get their fall-arrest gear. This stuff is mass produced to very strict standards, the issues of levering-off, shock absorption, etc. all have to be addressed, and they wear it 10 hours a day so there's incentive to ensure it's designed to be comfortable and doesn't get in the way.

The fall-arrest harnesses and tethers I've worn have all been far sturdier, and felt much more trustworthy, than a lot of what I see in the sailing shops.
Old 05-02-2011, 13:12   #20

Anyone using 3/8 three strand nylon for their tether?Not too thin to chafe through quickly but small enough to have some shock absorbing stretch?
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:36   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Without doubt, the cost of safety tethers must result from the machinations of a cabal of conspirators, a price-fixing cartel often known as the One World Government, or The Powers That Be.

This evil group of men has always wanted to rule the entire world. These powerful conspirators are made up largely of the international bankers, and the Illuminati, which is a super-rich organization, which controls the mainstream media, workforce, education system, companies, banks, energy supplies and governments. They are controlled by the richest people in the world such as the super-rich Rothschild and Rockefeller families. They also hide behind many organizations such as the United Nations, the WTO and the Council on Foreign relations.

Things that prove a trend towards a one world government include; a rising amount of globalization, free trade, privatization, foreign investment, mergers, international organizations, debt, international problems that need an international solution, peace agreements that give false security, and the artificially high price of tethers.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:09   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Without doubt, the cost of safety tethers must result from the machinations of a cabal of conspirators, a price-fixing cartel often known as the One World Government, or The Powers That Be.

This evil group of men has always wanted to rule the entire world. These powerful conspirators are made up largely of the international bankers, and the Illuminati, which is a super-rich organization, which controls the mainstream media, workforce, education system, companies, banks, energy supplies and governments. They are controlled by the richest people in the world such as the super-rich Rothschild and Rockefeller families. They also hide behind many organizations such as the United Nations, the WTO and the Council on Foreign relations.

Things that prove a trend towards a one world government include; a rising amount of globalization, free trade, privatization, foreign investment, mergers, international organizations, debt, international problems that need an international solution, peace agreements that give false security, and the artificially high price of tethers.
Gord, straight to the real issues as ever!!!

read any john gray??
False Dawn: The Delusions of Global ... - Google Books
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:30   #23

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Thank you Mr. May. I just knew there had to be something behind those artificially inflated tether prices. Can I assume they also control the world genoa car market?
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:10   #24

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
They have to be tested, certified and labeled to put on the market. You could sue them for a failure so they have to pay insurance to cover their ass. And that all adds up.
The above covers so much in life. I used to work on putting the rubber stuff on the ground in kids playground and the equipment for the kids to play on was all about the cost of liability, have you not notice no one takes responsibly for themselves its always the fault of the company who made the item never the person who used it wrong and the courts are full of the lawsuits to prove it.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:36   #25

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
What they said, plastic to make tether $2.00; Profit $1.00, labor $1.00, taxes, unemployment ins, retirement fund, health ins, etc... $6.00; Liability ins. for lawsuits $90.00.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:45   #26

The stitching on tethers is also designed to show if they have been stressed. Broken threads usually indicate that a new tether is required.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:59   #27

Boat: a sailing boat
but only 40 Euro in EU

Talking the triplet with two Gibbs and one snap.

Probably worth it as I can't imagine buying just the materials for such in the price.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:10   #28

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
It's always amazing to see how people blame lawyers for most everything yet don't have a shred of information to back up those claims. Further, lawyers usually represent ordinary people... you and me. If there is a problem with too many lawsuits (and while many people make that claim, there is little to support it) perhaps the real problem is our society ... you and me, again... not lawyers. And, yes, to answer your question... I am one.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 19:23   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Not lawyers; limited production and (at least in some cases) high quality.

Not plastic buckles! Try Sailrite; they did sell kits. Also avoid climbing harnesses, even the chest harnesses; they are designed for a different purpose and are not safe for this.

The construction stuff is certainly strong; however, it is neither cheaper nor corrosion resistant. Too bad. It is also very heavy.

No, not a hiking harness; the attachment point is too low and will drag you upside down. Must be a chest harness.
Old 05-02-2011, 20:15   #30

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
It's always amazing to see how people blame lawyers for most everything yet don't have a shred of information to back up those claims. Further, lawyers usually represent ordinary people... you and me. If there is a problem with too many lawsuits (and while many people make that claim, there is little to support it) perhaps the real problem is our society ... you and me, again... not lawyers. And, yes, to answer your question... I am one.
Welcome aboard Silversailor!

Lawyers can be our worse enemy or our best friend depending on which side one is on. Now Doctors are ones I have trouble with.

Back to the straps. IMHO If one is going to make their own they should have some kind of back ground in rigging or climbing. I've worked in high places most of my life and gear is a different design for different situations.

I feel jackline lanyards don't need to be so sophisticated. As long as they'll hold 3 times one body weight, the snaps can't come loose on their own and is corrosion resistance, they would be good enough for me.