Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2022, 11:43   #16

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Who has sailed Cape Town to the Caribbean? I have a question for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
The scope of the voyage has now changed, as we are starting from Richards Bay. From what I've read/heard, I think I'll bring those work boots and layers after all.
More than anything else, this adds a lot of uncertainty in timing. I sat at Richards by for 4 weeks waiting for a safe weather window. When the wind turns south, it can get really dangerous. Then stopped at Port Elizibeth, East London, and Hout Bay for a few days to a week each for weather. I was mostly motor sailing between ports to get as far as I could before the weather turned again. A fast boat would be a big advantage.

I was still mostly in shorts and barefoot, but did put on a jacket a few times.
Old 29-12-2022, 11:48   #17

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
More than anything else, this adds a lot of uncertainty in timing. I sat at Richards by for 4 weeks waiting for a safe weather window. When the wind turns south, it can get really dangerous. Then stopped at Port Elizibeth, East London, and Hout Bay for a few days to a week each for weather. I was mostly motor sailing between ports to get as far as I could before the weather turned again. A fast boat would be a big advantage.

I was still mostly in shorts and barefoot, but did put on a jacket a few times.

This will definitely have an influence on timing. RB to CT requires carefully planning with no time limit.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 12:35   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We did RB to CT in steps as others have described. Found the weather forecasts good and the Peri-Peri network (if it still exists) very helpful. We used the water temperature gauge on the instrument panel very useful. Went out far enough to get warm water and then turned left. Kept an eye on the temp and if it started to drop angled right some more. Generally picked up about three knots from the current. After we left RB we thought we had a forecast that would take us to East London but a later forecast had found a depression with west winds that would arrive before we did to EL, so bailed out to Durban for a few days. You just need to be flexible.
Old 29-12-2022, 12:36   #19

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
This will definitely have an influence on timing. RB to CT requires carefully planning with no time limit.
Aye. Totally new prospect.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:06   #20

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

No doubt that you will get cold.

One of the coldest nights that l have spent at sea was rounding Cape Point in the middle of the night and in the middle of December which is summertime here.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Planing is everything ! The south-east coast of South Africa has only a few places accessible by boat to pull into in case of a problem, separated by quite long distances between.
You need to know the capabilities of both you and the boat.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 22:10   #22

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Richards Bay to Cape Town in summer: Temperatures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Planing is everything ! The south-east coast of South Africa has only a few places accessible by boat to pull into in case of a problem, separated by quite long distances between.
You need to know the capabilities of both you and the boat.
Thanks, MicHughV. I appreciate and endorse the above sentiment wholeheartedly.

The topographical problem of this (world famous) coastline I am aware of, as well as the unpredictable and fickle weather patterns that require careful planning and selection of weather windows, which, I am aware, can also be fickle. I am also aware of the capabilities of the boat I am joining, the captain, the other crew, and myself when at sea.

The specific thing I do not know is the range of temperatures along this particular coastline in summer, as I decide what to pack and what not to pack, because I am very aware that my capabilities diminish rapidly when I am cold.

Judging from the other answers, I will be bringing my "cold non-arctic foul weather" assortment of gear, at the expense of a couple of "summer on shore" shirts or pants.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 02-01-2023, 06:35   #23

I sailed from Richards Bay to Cape Town a couple years ago. I was not impressed by cold weather. My 48 degrees and further north quality foul weather suit was never used on the circumnavigation. My boots were never used. Bring rain jacket and fleece and you will be fine. And not be burdened with unused bulky stuff.

Captain Chris Barry
s/y Spill The Wine
CBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:41   #24

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I presume you are joining a boat on the World ARC? I did this event back in 2010-2011 and the bit between Richard's Bay and Cape Town had the most unpleasant conditions of the entire circumnavigation. Although I'm a Brit and used to bad weather sailing, the sea conditions around the southern end of Africa were pretty uncomfortable. Only time I felt I needed to hand steer during the entire trip, pretty chilly and very cold rain! Once we left Cape Town end of the first week of January, things improved rapidly. Got warmer and smoother very quickly. Had to motor the last couple of days to St Helena. The next leg to Brazil was also very easy, getting warmer and warmer and with, again, quite a bit of motoring.

Great journey though. Have fun.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Weather off the coast of South Africa is a tricky thing to answer.

Summer weather is off course preferable, and you can have an easy sleigh ride or take your lumps. Weather patterns are influenced by the Southern Oceans and off course, the Agulhas Current, South Africa's version of the Florida Gulf Stream. Some prefer the inside coastal route while others prefer to go further offshore.

As you are crew on the boat, these decisions will likely be made by the skipper of the boat you will be on.

Though summertime, cold weather can be expected offshore. My advice, would be too consider " layers" that you either either add or peel off as the situation warrants.

The average ocean temperature is around 65 f in summer..this is cold in my book.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:12   #26

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

The couple that have a YouTube channel called “Sailing Yacht Florence” have been posting videos of their doing that crossing during their circumnavigation. I think the segment of their trip that will interest you starts on episode 128. By episode 145 they’ve reached Brazil.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I sailed from Cape Town to the Caribbean in 1985 via St Helena and Fernando De Noronha had a wonderful time on my homemade boat and two young, inexperienced crew (17 year old schoolboy and a 24 year old young lady)

I dont recall needing anything out of the ordinary as regards clothing, although I always wore my trusty Gore Tex sailing jacket at night along with comfy sweatpants, but it is midsummer in the southern hemisphere and the sailing in the days and nights were mostly very comfortable....I wrote a book about the journey as it was my first cruise and probably the funnest days of my life... "Days of Deja vu" Good luck and be safe.
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:57   #28

Richards Bay to Cape Town: I have my answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
The couple that have a YouTube channel called “Sailing Yacht Florence” have been posting videos of their doing that crossing during their circumnavigation. I think the segment of their trip that will interest you starts on episode 128. By episode 145 they’ve reached Brazil.
Ohp!

Episode 125, she's wearing a knit wool cap and an offshore jacket with several layers underneath.

I've got my answer. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2023, 09:18   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Did Richards Bay round to Cape Town then onwards, St Helena, Fernando deNoronha, Carribbean. It’s not a cold run, you don’t need exposure type gear…..bring 1 layer of long pants/sweat shirt, forget heavy boots…..you simply won’t need them.
Do bring good, hopefully breathable rain gear…..getting around the Cape can get wet.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:13   #30

Good quality, lightweight clothing is the key. Polypropylene or polyester base layer x 2 (one set always dry to change into) = 800g. Beanie or balaclava. Quilted mid layer (or tracksuit if you want to be fashionable). Waterproof outer layer. 2 pairs of lightweight gloves (one fingerless so you have dexterity). 2 pairs woollen socks. If you don’t have quality gear, then it’s time you bought it. It need not be expensive if you shop around. Great to have too, if you decide you want to indulge in some other adventures, like trekking in the mountains. The above is superior to what Shackleton and his team wore for their boat voyage between Elephant Island and South Georgia!
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape town, Caribbean, rib, sail