Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2007, 04:05   #1

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
White Mold??

This past weekend I noticed what looked like white spray paint in different areas of my head. I thougth it may be hairspray from my daughter and I wiped it off with a baby wipe. However, when I went back later it was still there. Is there a white mold that can grow out in the open like that. It is a very open, airy area where it is appearing. Any ideas of what it is and how I can get rid of it??

Thanks.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It may be mold, but it may be akin to a mineral efflorescence (crystals of mineral deposits), a white powdery substance more often found on damp masonry walls.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:35   #3

I hope that is all it is. It is only on the wood paneling, so I am going to clean, sand and revarnish. Thanks for the input.
Old 15-10-2007, 04:42   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This web site is packed with mold info.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:44   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Sorry here is the Link. Hidden Mold in Buildings - Looking for Mold - A "how to" photo and text primer on finding mold in buildings

Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:54   #6

Morgan,

Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Old 15-10-2007, 07:26   #7
cruiser

Mike,

It is most likely mold. It can be any of a billion different colors and will grow in cool, damp, dark places. (like the head especially)

Aside from the thread on here detailing how to clean mold (don't bother sanding and re-varnishing - too much work), there is another way to control mold.

If you are onboard this winter in CT, you will want to make sure to run a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down. Have a meter around to show you how humid or dry the boat is as well. Any bit of humidity and mold will flourish on a boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 08:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Sean indicates, molds can be black, green, white, and any number of other colours.
Sometimes they look like fuzz, sometimes they look like a stain, and sometimes they just look like a discoloration.
All molds require moisture - hence Sean’s good advice to “run a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 08:57   #9

Again, thanks for all the information. As I begin to look around I find I have small amounts in a number of areas. I will certainly look at putting a dehumidifier into the boat to help dry some of these areas out.

Thanks
Old 15-10-2007, 09:13   #10
cruiser

Be sure to do a good job cleaning up the mold and follow the instructions on the other thread re: that topic.

Mold isn't a big deal for a few minutes here and there, but if you live in it for long periods, you can develop sensitivity to it (read allergy) and it will affect you quite a bit more. I have developed a mold allergy before learning how to rid the boat of it.

While it's not serious right away, a few months of living in it will cause problems.
Old 15-10-2007, 09:37   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
All molds require moisture - hence Sean’s good advice to “run a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down”.
Surprisingly, there is a mold that grows in the dessert. But all it takes is a little leak around a sink or somewhere in the plumbing. So, don't let the weather or enviroment fool ya.

Just be glad it wasn't a black mold (Strachybotrys chartarum), the health risks are high.

Quote:
Should I paint over mold?

No. Don’t paint or caulk over mold. The mold will grow under the paint and the paint will peel.
http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/IAQ/Got...an%20up%20mold
Old 15-10-2007, 09:58   #12
cruiser

Del's right. Don't forget to look for any deck/port leaks. Those cause mold just as well as humidity.
Old 15-10-2007, 10:12   #13

Sean,

Actually I think that is my problem, I have a couple of very small leaks that I need to deal with. A couple of the ports are a problem, I think it is more likely from that than humidity. And one of the ports that is a problem is in the head where I found the mold.
Old 15-10-2007, 19:14   #14

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
The mold shouldn't be there, and once removed (10 % bleach), you should be able to prevent frequent recurrence by moving the air, try to remove the water source, and possibly use a dehumidifier.

Allergies to mold are relatively common, and can contribute to nasal and sinus problems, and asthma. Mold infections are also possible, but not common, as are hypersensitivity reactions (somewhat like allergies, but usually much more difficult to identify, and often much more serious) in the lungs.

The so called "toxic black mold", Stachybotrys, can indeed produce poisonous toxins, but so far, no studies has been able to demonstrate any human toxic reactions from inhaling them (but don't eat them). Of course none of this applies if you are a lawyer.

Interestingly, once the insurance companies changed their coverage regarding mold so there wouldn't be multimillion dollar lawsuits, the lawyers are not so interested any more. Suddenly "toxic black mold" isn't very toxic any more. The sick part of this story is that people were burning down whole buildings from this unjustified fear. (Yes, I know many people are completely convinced that the mold caused their illness, but nobody has been able to prove it, or show a cause and effect relationship, - except in court.) See what the CDC has to say on the topic.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 19:29   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Del,

I guess I won't be eating any dessert tonight!

Steve B.

"Surprisingly, there is a mold that grows in the dessert. But all it takes is a little leak around a sink or somewhere in the plumbing. So, don't let the weather or enviroment fool ya."
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold